New BMW engine 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mun

Club Guest
Got this news from BMWBLOG.2.0 ltr turbo 245 hp + 350Nm !!!http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/01/19/bmw-launches-new-20-0-liter-twinpower-turbo-4-cylinder-engine/" Today, BMW revealed the full details around their new 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder engine. The engine is being included in the also new BMW X1 xDrive28i.The first four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology offers a substantial power upgrade as well as a significant efficiency improvement; rated power: 180 kW/245 hp, rated torque: 350 Newton meters.Closely modelled on the BMW in-line six-cylinder engines, the all-new 2.0-litre engine with all-aluminium crankcase comes with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology featuring high-performance twin-scroll turbocharging system, High Precision Injection direct petrol injection with innovative solenoid injectors, and the latest further enhanced version of the BMW-patented VALVETRONIC variable valve control system "Good bye sweet sixes... my feeling is kind of mixed. Of course we welcome the extra power, torque and efficiency with the new block. But I think I'm going to miss the smoothness of straight NA six. NA engine tend to have a certain feel to the engine. Just like NA V8, V10 etc. there is more soul to it.Like Jeremy Clarkson opinion (not to be taken seriously always) on VW scirocco R's engine - powerful and all, but no feel.Hope this new 4 pot carry some soul!

Check out the impressive spec sheet! :love:

135i-twinpower-turbo.jpg

bmw-twinpower-4-cyl-655x219.jpg

Fuyoh!!! 245ps/350NM ... and that's on standard form belum lagi remapped ... impressive indeed!

Can tune to 300hp / 400Nm ka?? can match 335 one! he!he!

Wondering if it will be introduced to the last batch E90.

Possible actually hehehe most likely around 280hp/400NM and not to forget the performance hardware upgrades i.e. intercoolers, injectors, plugs, downpipe and so on which adds more horsie ...

So!? VW GTI, Seat Leon be very afraid.. this engine will bring BMW back to the WTCC podium for good! :top:

350NM torque at 1250rpm.. Damnnn... My Leggie with 350NM torque also max only at 2800rpm and yet it feels like its taking off..

small displacement beside of saving road tax i more preffer six potter engine wit turbo engine sound better and feeling better.

Mun;599815 said:
Good bye sweet sixes... my feeling is kind of mixed. Of course we welcome the extra power, torque and efficiency with the new block. But I think I'm going to miss the smoothness of straight NA six. NA engine tend to have a certain feel to the engine. Just like NA V8, V10 etc. there is more soul to it.
Like Jeremy Clarkson opinion (not to be taken seriously always) on VW scirocco R's engine - powerful and all, but no feel.

Yeah, you got it right...soul! But I don't think it's the end of the in-line 6s, Mun. This development has been expected, because they tend to use an engine for 2 models, and the N46 debutted in the E46 and continued in the E90. I reckon the N52/54 will be the gasoline 6s in the F30, which is fine by me because they're still class-leading, and they'll be updated with HPI and latest valvetronics.

The in-line 6 is the iconic hallmark of BMW, and the day they drop that configuration is the day they lose a huge number of followers...including me. There are lots of great cars and 6-cyl engines out there, and THE boxer-6 would be waiting for me if BMW drops the IL-6. Power isn't everything, and beating the next car in a drag stopped thrilling me when I stopped having pimples. It's the history of an iconic car, the sights, the distinctive sound, the feel, that appeal to me. Yeah, it's the soul!

Spot on Schwepps! Spoken like a true IL6 potter 3er. Nothing beats the SOUL and like you said, winning/beating the next car in a drag race ain't everything. The SOUL, The FEEL, The EXPERIENCE, making the heart skips a beat or two ... ahhh...now that's SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE. BMW has done an remarkeable job with the 6 cylinder engines! Period! :)

Mun;599827 said:
Can tune to 300hp / 400Nm ka?? can match 335 one! he!he!

Wondering if it will be introduced to the last batch E90.

Doubt that the last batch of E90 will be fitted with this engine. Too much changes required for the car, the placement of the engine, the cabling, the hoses, the electronics, basically the entire schematics of the car has to change just to accomodate a new engine, so highly likely not. They will only do it on the new F30 platform. But the specs are impressive. Vorsprung Durch Technik, watch out.....your A4 210HP and 350NM Torque is getting out dated with the bimmer's new 4potter...

But am looking forward for the N54 6 potter engines.... probably a tune up version of the current one (306HP with 400NM Torque) with better VANOS/valvetronic technologies and magnesium/aluminium materials. As for the NA IL6 N52B25, I guess it will stay as part of history....an iconic engine with full of Heart & Soul. Its such a joy to be able to enjoy this engine. Will do my utmost to keep this car and pass it on to my son when he is old enough to drive to college. Hopefully he will appreciate this inline 6, sweet revving with maximmum heart & soul NA N52B25 piece of engineering art!

astroboy;599856 said:
So!? VW GTI, Seat Leon be very afraid.. this engine will bring BMW back to the WTCC podium for good! :top:

Don't think there's a category for turbo petrol 2.0L engine in WTCC...

btw, looking at the bore/stroke figures of 90.1/84.0mm, this means the engine block is totally different from the previous 4 cylinder engines... Cylinder to cylinder spacing is bigger with this new engine.... the M4x and N4x engines and the 6 potters of the M5x and N5x dating back to the M40 from late 80's and M50 from early 90's have max bore of 88mm.. with only 1-2mm between cylinders..

Interesting fact Fab. Will have very different characteristics to the previous and present engines then.

Long stroke = torque, larger bore diameter = horse power. Looks like the engine is designed to gain more torque compensation from the FI rather than HP..

Schwepps;600019 said:
Yeah, you got it right...soul! But I don't think it's the end of the in-line 6s, Mun. This development has been expected, because they tend to use an engine for 2 models, and the N46 debutted in the E46 and continued in the E90. I reckon the N52/54 will be the gasoline 6s in the F30, which is fine by me because they're still class-leading, and they'll be updated with HPI and latest valvetronics.

The in-line 6 is the iconic hallmark of BMW, and the day they drop that configuration is the day they lose a huge number of followers...including me. There are lots of great cars and 6-cyl engines out there, and THE boxer-6 would be waiting for me if BMW drops the IL-6. Power isn't everything, and beating the next car in a drag stopped thrilling me when I stopped having pimples. It's the history of an iconic car, the sights, the distinctive sound, the feel, that appeal to me. Yeah, it's the soul!

I believe the inline 6 will continue to be featured in future BMWs including the F30 M3, albeit with turbo charging.

To me the ultimate inline 6 is still the S54 engine, the heart of the e46 M3, BMW's most powerful inline 6 engine ever :) An engineering marvel considering it was made 10 years ago :)

With force induction, there won't be any banshee screaming cum in your pants 8-9k rpm screamer....

M3ac;600035 said:
But am looking forward for the N54 6 potter engines.... probably a tune up version of the current one (306HP with 400NM Torque) with better VANOS/valvetronic technologies and magnesium/aluminium materials. As for the NA IL6 N52B25, I guess it will stay as part of history....an iconic engine with full of Heart & Soul. Its such a joy to be able to enjoy this engine. Will do my utmost to keep this car and pass it on to my son when he is old enough to drive to college. Hopefully he will appreciate this inline 6, sweet revving with maximmum heart & soul NA N52B25 piece of engineering art!

what's the different interms of feel with driving a 6 potter? with this turbo-charged 4 pot it will be faster than 6 pot rite? can u actually feel the engine is 6 or 4 by driving it (without actually being told wat engine)?

Soon you'll be able to hear Beemers with blowoff valves and on board software to see the turbo pressure oil pressure and so forth . What next?? Nitro......Nah too american

Top Bottom