My "New" 2012 F30 320d Sport - First drive impressions

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wz3k

Club Guest
Hi guys,Just picked up my "new" 2012 F30 320d Sport just now. Took it home on the highway. I'm changing from 2011 E90 320d M-Sport. The following are my impressions:- Got into the car, I noticed how big the car or maybe it's because of the bonnet..- Legroom is also better on the driver side.. I noticed the same on passenger side..- Started the car, fumble a bit on the shifter.. managed to put it to D..- I notice the car is quieter compared to my E90.. maybe the aircond was on high, maybe the insulation is better..- Steering is much softer compared to the e90 m-sport of course.. quite nice..- Smooth driving on the highway, ride is more comfortable..- Changing lane and taking corner not as confident as in my e90 m-sport.. it sways abit..The car is a bit dirty so will be going for a wash very soon before any photo taking can happen.. Glad to join you guys in the F30 section.. :)

Congrats bro & welcome to the F30 section :top:

Coming from the firm E90 M Sport setup, do u feel the urge to immediately upgrade the suspension?

Thanks bro. Honestly I'm torn. I like the comfort very much. Such a relieve to turn the steering and forgiving when u hit bumps. However, cornering and changing lanes are not as fun. If only there's a suspension that can do both. I've heard about Koni FSD back when I had my Civic. Not sure how it will behave on F30 though.. Time to do some research I guess. Haha

_M_;840977 said:
Congrats bro & welcome to the F30 section :top:

Coming from the firm E90 M Sport setup, do u feel the urge to immediately upgrade the suspension?

Thanks bro. Havent sold it yet. Got a buyer looking to secure finance. Hope to confirm soon..

wingzee;840981 said:
Sold the old E90 320d? Congrats on the purchase! :D

wz3k;840989 said:
Thanks bro. Honestly I'm torn. I like the comfort very much. Such a relieve to turn the steering and forgiving when u hit bumps. However, cornering and changing lanes are not as fun. If only there's a suspension that can do both. I've heard about Koni FSD back when I had my Civic. Not sure how it will behave on F30 though.. Time to do some research I guess. Haha

You can always try out KW or Ohlins suspension setups as well :)

wz3k;840989 said:

If u like the comfort, u can just try firmer springs ( eg. H&R or Eibach) with the stock shocks.

Much easier on the wallet :)

Join the guys during TTs or drives, then you can differentiate and feel each available option..... a small investment compared to a costly mistake in my opinion.....

Thanks for the warm response guys! Now I do have a few options to think about already.. but gendong is right.. probably should join TT to see which setup I would like the best..

A bit of unique case for me since I'm getting a second hand car from company, it came with Black exterior and Red interior.. not my color of choice but they give a good price for the car, so I thought why not.. :)

I think for me the focus now is on Tint, Interior color, Exterior Color then only suspensions.. tint and interior color will definitely change.. but exterior and suspensions not sure yet..

Mine is the 2012 version so it's only sports trim without the m-sport package. Suspension is the normal type.

xatomic;841213 said:
Normal Sport or M Sport suspension?

Welcome a board bro - i got my f30 for similar reasons ie its much roomier than the previous one. i was not going to get the f30 until i sat in one and the bigger dimensions helped make up my mind !

Could you also share, coming as someone who used a 6 cylinder 3 series to a 4 cylinder 3 series, do you feel anything different ?

Cheerz

Thanks bro.. my previous ride was E90 320d 2011 so, it was also a 4 cylinder.. same engine as this F30 320d.. the new 8 speed transmission is very smooth though..

AT-Sixx;841258 said:
Welcome a board bro - i got my f30 for similar reasons ie its much roomier than the previous one. i was not going to get the f30 until i sat in one and the bigger dimensions helped make up my mind !

Could you also share, coming as someone who used a 6 cylinder 3 series to a 4 cylinder 3 series, do you feel anything different ?

Cheerz

So how does the F30 320d compare with the E90 320d? The E90 320d was a msport model right? The suspension would have been pretty stiff.

Yup, E90 320d is the m-sport model.. suspension is stiff indeed but as a driver I kinda like it...it's like the car sticks to the road.. my wife constantly complain about it though.. haha.. One thing I won't miss on the E90 is the stiff steering.. sooo tiring to drive with that steering..

The F30 has a much softer steering even in sports mode..

I still have my E90 but it's in service with ingress now.. when I get it back tomorrow I'll update the feeling of switching back to E90.. I suspect I will like it as a driver... I wish I can afford to keep both.. hahaha..

Kewl_AL;841276 said:
So how does the F30 320d compare with the E90 320d? The E90 320d was a msport model right? The suspension would have been pretty stiff.

wz3k;841278 said:
Yup, E90 320d is the m-sport model.. suspension is stiff indeed but as a driver I kinda like it...it's like the car sticks to the road.. my wife constantly complain about it though.. haha.. One thing I won't miss on the E90 is the stiff steering.. sooo tiring to drive with that steering..

The F30 has a much softer steering even in sports mode..

I still have my E90 but it's in service with ingress now.. when I get it back tomorrow I'll update the feeling of switching back to E90.. I suspect I will like it as a driver... I wish I can afford to keep both.. hahaha..

Well the F30 320d msport would have been ideal. Too bad I wasn't really into getting a diesel and couldn't afford the 328msport so decided to settle on a 320i sportline and probably start modding along the way ... :cool:

thanks bro for the education haha - i thot e90 was 6 cylinder and f30 was the 1st of the 3 series to use 4 cylinder. the 8 transmission really does make a difference :)

Oh yeah the 8 speed transmission does make a difference.. :) the model that change from 6 to 4 cylinder is E90 323i/325i (6 cylinders) which is now F30 328i (4 cylinders with twin turbo)

AT-Sixx;841281 said:
thanks bro for the education haha - i thot e90 was 6 cylinder and f30 was the 1st of the 3 series to use 4 cylinder. the 8 transmission really does make a difference :)

Top Bottom