my buddy's E28 rebuild

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
the dashboard, switchgear & instrumentation..

..are simply immaculate :top:

The rear lights were not new units and looked like it had seen better days. Spent about 1/2 day lovingly restoring them to the best of my ability, and you can see it's chromed trimming complementing nicely with the bumper.
IMG_8743_zps130e1b0e.jpg

IMG_8739_zpsd49dc16f.jpg

The hard rubber linings for front and rear bumpers were also used items and looked horrible. After careful chemical cleaning these rare, hard-to-get rubber parts, they were coated with a coating product for a natural low-gloss "original look".
IMG_8742_zps9637ec35.jpg

This morning, this E28 departed from Optimum and now its back at Pro Detailers.

Forward Action:
1. 2 rounds of wet-sanding
2. Multiple rounds of compounding
3. Polishing and synthetic sealant (no, the intelligent owner of this E28 won't "fall" for those "coatings" marketing stories).
4. Complete interior detailing.
5. Engine Bay Detailing.
6. Installing a different set of rims
7. Basic audio system
8. Different exhaust tips.

Work is expected to commence next Monday as we're packed at this moment, and when the day comes, I'll have some nice pics to show everyone here:rock:

You did a fantastic job Albert :top: as usual :biggrin:

More photos of this awesome E28 please.

Anyway, here's a shot of the car's neatly done roof lining.. The real thing looks even nicer.

Awesome...and great job as usual Albert...

Mizhan.se u when ure back...I'm going on a long drive tomorrow till Monday..to you know where...hehehehe

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome...and great job as usual Albert...

Mizhan.se u when ure back...I'm going on a long drive tomorrow till Monday..to you know where...hehehehe

Admins, thank you very much for making this thread a Sticky. All classic-BMW enthusiasts appreciate your gesture.

IMG_9176_zps1b5f2a6f.jpg

Genuine Alpina steering wheel installed on the project E28.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_9177_zpsb4b64660.jpg

Constrained layer dampener installed on door panel to dampen any resonances.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_9184_zpsaf16f1d7.jpg

On the underside of trunk lid, the original decal has been maintained

IMG_9175_zpsc09c8e1a.jpg

Original Alpina B9 seats with the original metal plaque at the bottom of each seat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_9198_zps77f3e99f.jpg

Many grey BMW owners are aware that reflections can be poor on such a colour.
Not this Beemer....
Surface prep is still in progress, but has stopped for a week. Paintwork is dusty at the moment. Even then, reflections are accurate and detailed. Enlarge the pic above, and you'll see lots of details of the brick wall....the irregularities, graininess, cragginess etc....are all reflected on the superb paintwork of our project E28. As surface prep progresses by Pro Detailers, the final results will be significantly better than at present.

bert, this my shot of the steering wheel. can't wait to see the outcome after you've reconditioned it..

Going closer...you can see more details on the paintwork's reflections.
Most detailing websites love using black paintjobs for an impressive look. But I prefer to use silver, white, grey and other "tough" colours. The pic below is merely a test panel, and we'll be bringing it further next week by more extensive surface prep before going into multiple rounds of compounding.
IMG_9197_zps0ff9b7ed.jpg

The Iphone might not be a photographer's wet dream, but in the pic below, it's evident that reflections are starting to be highly accurate. It looks kinda hazy because its a grey paintwork that has not been washed yet. Kindly note the green leaves and iron slats on the ground. It was an impromptu shot without bothering to park the vehicle properly. Nevertheless, on a medium-grey vehicle, I was gratified that reflections were "healthy" looking at this early stage and will get much better next week as we proceed further with more surface prep....all the way to 5000grit.
IMG_9201_zps12117bb7.jpg

mizhan;853929 said:
well don't let anything stop you bro :biggrin:

sadly, the only thing that holding me from getting another bimmer is my own E30. before getting another bimmer, i need to take a very good care of it, got a few things on my mind, small restoration project hehehehe :)

yes, better ensure what you already have is adequately cared for before starting on new acquisitions. errr... we're talking about cars :biggrin:

close ups of the instrument cluster..

..indicates the true intent of this E28.

This is the 514th unit of Alpina B9 3.5. This metal plaque will be carefully cleaned and restored.
IMG_8277_zpsed091be6.jpg

Another look at the authenticity of this rare vehicle.
image_zps347bfb37.jpg

Even the number plate frame will be replaced....giving you an idea of this E28 owner's attention to detail and fastidiousness (not fussiness:burnout:
image_zps7d5bde89.jpg

Rear windscreen trim (anodized aluminium)
image_zps3531a2cb.jpg

New rubber linings for windscreen (Expensive!...and no expense spared)
image_zps8311aa89.jpg

...including the corner end-pieces for the windscreen trim!
image_zpsc2a41b81.jpg

Top Bottom