Multifunction buttons on steering wheel don't work

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mick123

Club Guest
hi all sifus, happened today that the buttons and the honk don't function. anyone know the cause for this? also the radio continues to play even after i switched off the car and the display on the radio has gone off. i have to press the on-off knob to turn off the radio. like twilight zone nia :D

just came back from dinner and the buttons and horn worked again!! and the air-con is also colder. one thing i noticed is that the airbag light, which is always on, was dimmer when that problem came up. wonder it's the beginning of an electrical problem :afraid:

further update. it didn't work again this morning. when i reached office, i just turned the ignition to ON and it works but when i start the car, it doesn't work..........may be will drop by Optimum later today.

may be the "clock spring" electrical connection.it's the ribbon wire that connects the steering wheel function to the car.it may just need to be re-seated.hope it is minor.

just came back from Optimum. the scanner shows a multi function steering fault. just needed to change the "coil".

Mick,

Care to elaborate a bit more on.... "just needed to change the coil". Where is the "coil" located?

waiting for the part from chop shop. i'll take a pic when i go back to get it change tmrw.

ok it was not the slip ring's, ie the "coil" problem. nailed it down to a faulty ignition switch. problem solved.

mick123 said:
ok it was not the slip ring's, ie the "coil" problem. nailed it down to a faulty ignition switch. problem solved.
Hi, Bro mick123,
My 2001 525i steering multifunctions buttons not working too, asked my mechanic and he say have to check all the wirings in steering wheel column.
May I check with you how much you spent in repairing the "Ignition Switch" ? Kindly advise.

got it fixed for 380. the slip ring from chop shop cost 300 but never paid for it coz it was not the problem. i actually got it fixed at KNS after Optimum fiddled around with the slip ring and all the electrical contacts including that control board at the foot well but the problem still persisted. the symptoms mine gave were
1) the functioning was intermittent. when the SRS light brightness is normal, it works, when that light is dim, it doesn't.
2) the SRS lighted and will come on again even after reset.
3) when i switch on the sun visor mirror light, the radio goes off. the radio will come on again immediately after i switch off the visor light.
4) the radio continues to play even after i turn off the car and everything is off. i had to press the off button to really switch off the radio. not sure if this is related but the problem is gone.

does yours show these symptoms?

mick123 said:
got it fixed for 380. the slip ring from chop shop cost 300 but never paid for it coz it was not the problem. i actually got it fixed at KNS after Optimum fiddled around with the slip ring and all the electrical contacts including that control board at the foot well but the problem still persisted. the symptoms mine gave were
1) the functioning was intermittent. when the SRS light brightness is normal, it works, when that light is dim, it doesn't.
2) the SRS lighted and will come on again even after reset.
3) when i switch on the sun visor mirror light, the radio goes off. the radio will come on again immediately after i switch off the visor light.
4) the radio continues to play even after i turn off the car and everything is off. i had to press the off button to really switch off the radio. not sure if this is related but the problem is gone.

does yours show these symptoms?
Hi, Bro mick123,
Good day.
My air bag lit up was recently rectified by plug in a new "Mat Simulator By-pass" switch bought in ebay into front passenger seat occupancy sensor, the air bag warning sign is completely off now, the new replaced 3 spokes steering wheel from e46 multifunction switches is yet to repair, now I'm thinking the cheaper solution is to replacing the Ignition Switch for a try to test the steering wheel multifunction buttons.
By the way, thanks for your valuable advises.

fongmy said:
Hi, Bro mick123,
Good day.
My air bag lit up was recently rectified by plug in a new "Mat Simulator By-pass" switch bought in ebay into front passenger seat occupancy sensor, the air bag warning sign is completely off now, the new replaced 3 spokes steering wheel from e46 multifunction switches is yet to repair, now I'm thinking the cheaper solution is to replacing the Ignition Switch for a try to test the steering wheel multifunction buttons.

Hi Fonmy,

Can i know how much you bought your "Mat Simulator By-pass" switch please.

Thank You

Cheers
Siva

siva@e39 said:
Hi, Bro mick123,
Good day.

Hi Fonmy,

Can i know how much you bought your "Mat Simulator By-pass" switch please.

Thank You

Cheers
Siva
Hi, Bro Siva@e39,
I paid by credit card in US$ currency, attach ebay screen shot with picture of the part and price.

Attachments

• Screenshot (13) - Copy.png
    Screenshot (13) - Copy.png
    570.2 KB · Views: 19
I facing same problem, multifunction steering buttons not working.can show us what the item picture that you changed ?

Top Bottom