Monsoon Cup - Pulau Duyong Terengganu

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DrGoh

Club Guest
Hi people,A friend asked me to attend a match-sailing event in Terengganu, http://www.monsooncup.com.myListed in the site were directions to get there, I found this particularly interesting: From Penang Head towards Kota Baharu via the East-West Highway (highway 4). Perhaps one of the most scenic routes found in the Peninsular, the East-West Highway is one of the last frontiers to be conquered, so to speak. A stronghold for the communists in the 60's and 70's where terrorist activity was rampant in the area then. This may be the reason why going through this part of Malaysia seems a little alien. There are neither plantations nor housing development lining the highway. Zip back 60years and this would probably have been the landscape for most parts of Malaysia. Little trunk roads splitting dense forests, with no evidence of civilisation far into the horizon. BTW, BMW is the official partner in this event. Zoggee, scenic routes, little trunk roads... Ring any bell? Come la!

Dr, I've heard about it last year. What's there to do for the non-sailors?

The drive however is actually an exciting one. TT in Pulau Duyung??

TT at Pulau Duyong Monsoon Cup

Hi all members, let me know if this will materialise. I'm from Pulau Duyong, K.trg.
I belanja you all keropok lekor and nasi dagang.
Monsoon cup will at year end. let me know is advance maybe I'm schedule offshore oil rig.

Viewfinder, I dunno what's there to do for the non-sailors yet, let's see if I could get more details from my rich friends :D The main attraction for me is the drive too.

AmirMivec, thanks in advance for your hospitality, how's Pulau Duyong actually? Can you give us some info please? How's the place and people like?

Cheers.

The Monsoon Cup is a sailing event which is part of a world tour.Top ranked sailors form sponsored teams to race identical boats in a round robin to determine top finishers for a showdown.Apart from this, i am sure u will get more info on the official website.
As for those not in the know, Pulau Duyung has been redeveloped ( basically a new township) by the Equine gp and they are also the "organisers" for or on behalf of the state govt for this event to help improve the status of previously "low profile" Trengganu.
I assisted in providing some "wakeboard demos" during the inbetween periods of racing or when there was no wind to race.
There are not many places where u can get a "drink" and in those that u can, a godsend, are quite crappy and dingy.
I would say its quite fun and well worth the experience if u enjoy watching boats in the water only if u get those special all access passes or tickets.Otherwise, it like going to sepang and standing at the entrance mall area and cannot enter to see the track and racing.Best is to get some proper invites from BMW, and have then include some parking passes .Last yr, some Porsches and Ferraris headed up (on a club drive/sponsored basis)but i didnt get to see them..not sure where they were.
I am in Krabi thailand now and i daresay its more fun driving here all the way from KL.Clear skies, great beaches, nice people, good food and not crowded like Phuket.

funfer_fahrer said:
Is the Monsoon Cup something like America´s Cup?

Well, almost like but on a very much smaller scale. Its been included as a leg in the World championships (so now, we have several, FI, MotorGP, A1, Tour De Langkawi) ..we also used to do a leg in the World Power Boat series too.

This is only the second year running of the Monsoon Cup and what an idea it was...taking advantage of our monsoons season...an idea apparently mooted by what our TDM calls "Datuk Patrick Badawi".

Pulau Duyong?....all I know is that Mr Michelle Yeoh ala Jean Toad owns a million $ home there.

ps. i might have to be there - on duty.

I will assist in getting passes /tickets if fellow forummers want to make it an official TT/drive. It will be fun, and different as KT (kuala trengganu) is still a relatively sleepy
town.

aaron said:
I will assist in getting passes /tickets if fellow forummers want to make it an official TT/drive. It will be fun, and different as KT (kuala trengganu) is still a relatively sleepy
town.

Bro arron,

I for one would like to have a drive up to this place. :D So, why not organize a drive cum TT with official invites?

Monsoon Cup Drive to Pulau Duyong

001. BlackCat

Blackcat, it seems not many are interested in the drive up.
BTW George Benson is performing in the gala dinner

DrGoh or anyone, any update on what are the activities we can do there for non-sailors?

DrGoh said:
Viewfinder, I dunno what's there to do for the non-sailors yet, let's see if I could get more details from my rich friends :D The main attraction for me is the drive too.

AmirMivec, thanks in advance for your hospitality, how's Pulau Duyong actually? Can you give us some info please? How's the place and people like?

Cheers.

when you guys want to drive up? I live in Kemaman. I can meet you guys halfway, if I'm not offshore that is.

Top Bottom