Mobility Kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

paulpaul2

Club Guest
Just bought the mobility kit from AB at RM677.XX and reading the menu book learning how to use it when tyre punched, but got some question appear on my mind after reading the menu book.. 1) if my tyre when punched then i stop my car, the punched place its face to the top then how should the sealant replace the punched place because that only will go inside to the down side,after i pump in the pressure also will lossing from the top right? 2) sealant can remove after i putting in on my tyre? 3) if tyre totally break it i still can use this mobility kit or not? regratspaul

1. u r suppose to drive the car for a short distance for the sealant to spread, after injecting the sealant. Then re-measure your air pressure.

2. The mobility kit is meant for u to limp to the nearest tyre shop for a tyre replacement. Why bother removing the cured sealant in the tyre?

3. No.

Fren, you bought the mobility kit already ah? It's only handy if you plan to switch from RFTs to normal tyres. It's only a temporary fix to get you to a tyre shop, and RFTs don't need temporary fixes because you can drive up to 80km on a flat RFT.

Thinking about it another way, for RM677, you could get 5 years of AAM membership with free towing services in all major towns. Or you could call a private tow-truck 4 times.

If you want to return it, I'm sure AB will take it back for credit towards other (over-priced) BMW products such as the stainless steel exhaust pipe covers for your coming 325i or leather holders for your 2 key-fobs, etc.

Schwepps;330314 said:
Thinking about it another way, for RM677, you could get 5 years of AAM membership with free towing services in all major towns. Or you could call a private tow-truck 4 times.

100% agreeable and that is why I never bother to get this kit eventhough I have switched out from RFT long time.

astroboy;330313 said:
2. The mobility kit is meant for u to limp to the nearest tyre shop for a tyre replacement. Why bother removing the cured sealant in the tyre?

because if little dmg i still can use back the tyre no need to change new one ma right?so i worry that cannot remove the sealant from my tyre lo..

schwepps, i alreayd bought the stainless steel exhaust pipe covers and leather key holder which free by the SA...

and 1 more thing cos i always travel at sban - kl highway,just incase tyre punched then i still can drive to whichever town to fix no need stuck on the highway there ma...

So you're going to switch to normal tyres then, paulpaul2? If so, it's a handy option to have for emergencies.

But only to be used in certain situations, not for example, an embedded nail or screw. And in the situations you'd use it, you would want to replace the tyre anyway, as astro says, because it's no longer a safe tyre. So removing the sealant (if it's possible) doesn't come into the picture.

If u still running on RFT, yet u bought the mobility kit, BMW will be both disappointed and glad. Disappointed because your have no confidence in their brilliant RFT technology, glad because they get to make extra profit from u by selling u the RFT technology and puncture repair kit where u only need either.. :D

They were hoping u would buy a spare wheel and car jack kit.. :D

But I believe u have plan for non-RFT, which the mobility kit can become handy but David is right, there's no chance for u to use it.

The only scenario you need to use the mobility kit is when:

1. You use non-RFT tubeless tyre, AND
2. A sharp object has punctured your tyre, AND
3. The RFT alarm fail or the sharp object has been removed, thus no longer blocking the leak.

You must add 1+2+3 = FLAT tyre. That's when you are left with still 2 choices:

1. Call for Emergency Road Assist and wait for an hour OR
2. Bring out your Mobility Kit and risk yourself fixing a leak on the highway emergency lane.

Seriously, I have not faced with the above situation all my entire motoring life of more than 2 decades What is the chance? (touch wood)

AAM also no business ah!

Other alternatives:
~ Bicycle step pump retailing at RM9.90 available at hypermarket
~ 12V DC pump retailing at RM25.90, with build in pressure gauge, available at hypermarket.
~ A good European 12V DC pump comes in nice canvas casing is retailing at RM130, with build in pressure gauge. A friend is selling this.
~ A can of pressurised tyre repair sealant that will both fill up the puncture and inject sealant are retailing at about RM25-RM40 per can for a single usage. But keeping an aerosol can of such sealant in the car boot in Malaysian weather may not be a good idea.. :rolleyes:

The BMW Mobility Kit comes with a 750ml sealant, can use for very very long.. :D Hope by the time u need it, its not harden like those plaster in the first aid kit, keep too long, cannot stick lio.. :D

As usual, sifu astroboy has said it all! I agree that there are very few occasions I would want to inject glue into my tyre and gunk it all up just to get to a tyre shop. The economics just doesn't make sense. I'd rather wait for a tow truck...

i have the mobility kit in my car (and no spare tire).

in the event of a small puncture, (and if you in the town area), just pump up the air and faster go to the nearest tire shop. dun use the sealant.

if your tires rip, the mobility kit is no use. aam membership is essential if you have a spare wheel. if no spare wheel... hope you have good frens.

get the conclusion, smaller punched can use the mobility kit, if totally rip....call friend or car towing service.......that's bmw false doenst give us choice want use run flat or not....if choice non run flat should provide us the spare tyre n jeck kit then no need so trouble now...

btw i am changing my run flat to non run flat tyre already......just hope that the happen wont come out from my entire life...hahahahaha

if small puncture, just pump as much as in and drive to the tyre shop lah.... get an electric tyre pump or a foot pump...

I've known of Audi owners who wouldn't bother with the sealant eventhough the car came with the kit, they would just pump air with the electric pump provided and drive to the tyre shop to patch the tyre....

The way I look at it, I rather have the option of using the Mobility kit when I get a flat than not esp if I happen to be out in the boonies somewhere and don't want to stick around waiting for tow trucks to rescue me (possibly with the kids and all too).

Doesn't cost that much and I use the electric pump to inflate my kids bicycle tyre too hehe. No complaints on the kit so far.

astroboy;330397 said:
~ 12V DC pump retailing at RM25.90, with build in pressure gauge, available at hypermarket.

Interested to look for this. Any particular brand and which hypermarket to get the above AB?

Go to ACE Hardware in Ikano Mutiara Damansara, and you'll see lots of cigarette lighter 12VDC pumps, foot pumps, hand pumps, aerosol can sealants, etc, etc, all quite cheap. You can take your pick there, and it's a good place to get off-the-shelf car products. You can spend hours there! ;)

I've got a 12VDC pump in my boot well for if my RFTs go flat. Also use it to topup with air every Sunday.

He's jes kidding... Cardinal rule of lowering FC is to take out unnecessary weight. BMW were very smart to go for RFT and discard the spare and jack. Even the 'toolkit' in the E90 has lightweight tools, compared to the heavy ironmongery I remember in my old E36. :burnout:

GHS;330781 said:
Interested to look for this. Any particular brand and which hypermarket to get the above AB?

They are all the same China made product la. Spoil, buy another la. Like Schwepps, use it on weekend for your balloons, bicycle or what not to make sure it still works.. :D

European one with nice canvas casing cost RM130... more reliable so it will not fail u at critical moment.. :top:

ACE has supposedly German and Jap ones but could be made in China, all below RM50 each. Sunday mornings, check TPs with TP guage (also from ACE) Down 1-2 psi, fish out the pump, plug into cig lighter and PUMP IT UP! :D My tyre TPs very tepat wan - another important factor for fuel economy.

take out the spare tyre n jack kit to reduce weight then put in the HEAVY & HARD runflat tyre.......wat's they thinking? i already take out the runflat tyre to normal tyre...that's feel sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom