Mileage Setting

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kelvinjb

Club Guest
Hi All,Like to check with you guys, if i was to check the meter cluster, can i set it back to the old mileage?The car is e39 1997.ThanksKelvin

I believe this is what he means...

Say your current cluster has broken pixels (opted not to repair it but replace it with a used unit from the chop-shop, assuming that the replacement cluster is exactly the same cluster as your existing one), can you recode/transfer data (mileage/vin/ews/zke...) from your existing cluster to the replacement cluster?

The following are my questions:
1) Regardless what's the mileage on the used replacement cluster, once you have transfered your existing mileage/vin/data into it, will the red circle (tempered light next to the mileage counter) light up ?

2) Anyone has done it before? Recommendation for a place do it? Price?

I read somewhere before the mileage is stored in a chip inside the instrument cluster. You can actually swap the chip over to retain your old mileage in the event you change to a different instrument cluster.

It doesn't say though if the temper warning dot will appear if you change it.

As for mileage, is it possible to change or tinker with the mileage? I'm asking this because there are cars out there for sale ( from second hand shops) with mileage figures like 80 or 90 -98,000 km and these are easily 9 maybe 10 year old cars. And are the figures in km or miles?

redlotus;562194 said:
As for mileage, is it possible to change or tinker with the mileage? I'm asking this because there are cars out there for sale ( from second hand shops) with mileage figures like 80 or 90 -98,000 km and these are easily 9 maybe 10 year old cars. And are the figures in km or miles?

Somebody posted in the forum around two weeks ago saying that he bought a BMW with a mileage of 87k...very happy with the purchase. Six months on he went to AB, checked the actual mileage using the key and turns out the mileage is actually 187,000, somebody deleted the '1' from the front.

So definitely can be done..remember this is Bolehland..

haywire;562200 said:
Somebody posted in the forum around two weeks ago saying that he bought a BMW with a mileage of 87k...very happy with the purchase. Six months on he went to AB, checked the actual mileage using the key and turns out the mileage is actually 187,000, somebody deleted the '1' from the front.

So definitely can be done..remember this is Bolehland..

absolutely. It can be done. Even the people in AB was surprised.

Top Bottom