Meter Indicators [HELP!]

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

e36beemer

Club Guest
Hello all sifus,MY ride is E36 '97 M43 which i bought not long ago. Can anyone tell me what indicators (lights in the meter) you have when ignition is being turned on (before car starts). My E36 is fitted with SRS on steering and no Vehicle Stability Control. Just that upon removal of my meter panel, i found that quite some bulbs aren't fitted. Those not fitted that i can remember are;1) SRS2) Seat Belt3) CHECK4) CHECK ENGINE5) ASC6) ABSPls help me! any E36 '97 owners???

From memory,

Oil pressure
Alternator
Handbrake
Brakepad wear indicator
Automatic gear check light
Fuel Low warning light
Water temp
Service Indicator

3er said:
From memory,

Oil pressure
Alternator
Handbrake
Brakepad wear indicator
Automatic gear check light
Fuel Low warning light
Water temp
Service Indicator

bro, only so little indicators lights up? i mean when you turn the key to position 1. Thanks in advance.

Those are on top of what you have already listed. Cant remember what else. I used to own an E36 (not anymore). Thats why i said from memory.

3er said:
Those are on top of what you have already listed. Cant remember what else. I used to own an E36 (not anymore). Thats why i said from memory.

3er, "those are on top of what you have listed", meaning all that i've listed are suppose to light up upon turning on ignition? i'm pretty confused here...hehe.. :D

Here's a picture taken while i turn on my ignition to position 1 and you can see the ONLY indicators which lights up.

pictures.html

I think the pic is just about right. What do you expect? A christmas tree? :)

Certain models do not have SRS on the dash. It could be on the steering wheel. You do not have ASC so it wont light up. But your ABS should light up. CHECK may or may not light up i cant remember (but it should light up if there is a Check Control fault). You seat belt already lights up. So whats the confusion?

3er said:
I think the pic is just about right. What do you expect? A christmas tree? :)

Certain models do not have SRS on the dash. It could be on the steering wheel. You do not have ASC so it wont light up. But your ABS should light up. CHECK may or may not light up i cant remember (but it should light up if there is a Check Control fault). You seat belt already lights up. So whats the confusion?

hmmm.... ok, ABS doesn't light up, CHECK doesn't light up coz no bulb installed but even when i stuff in a bulb, it doesn't light up as well. Seat belt, i fitted a bulb in (previously no bulb fitted) and it lights up upon turning on ignition but goes off together with other indicators even seat belts unbuckled.

oh yea.... CHECK & Check Engine also no bulbs fitted previously. I fitted it but it doesn't lights up. *sighhhh*

e36beemer said:
hmmm.... ok, ABS doesn't light up, CHECK doesn't light up coz no bulb installed but even when i stuff in a bulb, it doesn't light up as well. Seat belt, i fitted a bulb in (previously no bulb fitted) and it lights up upon turning on ignition but goes off together with other indicators even seat belts unbuckled.

ABS should light up (I'm assuming your ABS has not been ripped out)
Like i said, CHECK may not light up until there is a fault.
Seat belt light is behaving as expected. I dont think its connected to your seat belt. It serves just as a reminder only.

3er said:
ABS should light up (I'm assuming your ABS has not been ripped out)
Like i said, CHECK may not light up until there is a fault.
Seat belt light is behaving as expected. I dont think its connected to your seat belt. It serves just as a reminder only.

thanks for the brief explaination 3er. Btw how do i know if my ABS is working? try hard braking while raining? also, for the CHECK light, there's no bulb fitted to it though.... should there be a bulb fitted to it?

e36beemer said:
thanks for the brief explaination 3er. Btw how do i know if my ABS is working? try hard braking while raining? also, for the CHECK light, there's no bulb fitted to it though.... should there be a bulb fitted to it?

You dont need to wait till it rains to test your ABS. It works in the dry and carpark speeds too.

There should be a bulb in the CHECK light. I remember having a fault before and the CHECK light lit up.

Hope all that helps.

Yes, exactly on the dot on the CHECK light bulb explanation, it must be there. I blew a brake bulb and a front low beam before, on both occasions the CHECK light lit, together with a whole lot of nag words on the Check Control display. The moment the Check button is pressed on the Check Control console, the CHECK light will go off, this is just like pressing the Enter key on a PC to acknowledge something.

LCP said:
Yes, exactly on the dot on the CHECK light bulb explanation, it must be there. I blew a brake bulb and a front low beam before, on both occasions the CHECK light lit, together with a whole lot of nag words on the Check Control display. The moment the Check button is pressed on the Check Control console, the CHECK light will go off, this is just like pressing the Enter key on a PC to acknowledge something.

bro LCP, "check control console"? errr.... but what is that? btw, my ride is a E36 318i year 97.

bro 3er, in this case if i were to fit a bulb into the CHECK & remove any one of my tail lamp's bulb, the CHECK should light up right?

Oops, sorry, I think the E36 318i did not come with the Check Control thingy. There's a mechanical clock down there though, correct?

LCP said:
Oops, sorry, I think the E36 318i did not come with the Check Control thingy. There's a mechanical clock down there though, correct?

yup yup... an analog clock is stuffed there. btw, can i get that Check Control thingie & install it in my ride? izzit plug n play thing? thanks!

Good question... so, does anyone know whether the Check Control console (and possibly a processor unit somewhere) and be plugged in (and play right away) on a 1997 E36 318i?

I have a question.
What is the tiny clock showing 9 o'clock located just above the service indicator bars on the same panel strip ? It wasn't there before.

afza said:
I have a question.
What is the tiny clock showing 9 o'clock located just above the service indicator bars on the same panel strip ? It wasn't there before.

That my friend, is your friendly reminder to go for a SERVICE.

You might also get "INSPECTION I" or "INSPECTION II" later.
This is a reminder to do general servicing like oil change etc or belt.

Please take note the "Reminder" light would not goes OFF even you change
the oil and filter. it can be reset with a modic or some people will
just jumper terminal "7" and ground for about 15 seconds to reset the
light. You will also get the Green back.

jarance said:
That my friend, is your friendly reminder to go for a SERVICE.

You might also get "INSPECTION I" or "INSPECTION II" later.
This is a reminder to do general servicing like oil change etc or belt.

Please take note the "Reminder" light would not goes OFF even you change
the oil and filter. it can be reset with a modic or some people will
just jumper terminal "7" and ground for about 15 seconds to reset the
light. You will also get the Green back.

Thanks but I just took the car back from service last weekend. I even got all the Green bars back. Except there is this additional tiny clock above it. I guess I have to bring it back to Optimum to do a resetting. Right ?

Top Bottom