Maser Quattroporte kills M5 & B5

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
About ego

I got over the yuppy label of the 80's and mid-90's and despite having owned BMWs...I hate them now because of the owners I've known, not necessarily the cars. The best thing BMW has going for them is their marketing department. They've got just about every middle-aged man convinced they're driving the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. And the beloved M3? My thoughts there are...why? Having spent a few months with an '04 M3 SMG...it felt like an overtuned engine begging for mercy. It would be like buying a computer with a 2 Ghz processor and overclocking to 2.5 Ghz. Why not just buy a better processor?

Originally posted by f8.@Dec 2 2005, 01:59 PM
as for bmw's, i know for a fact the 318s with the lighter engine has the battery in the engine compartment whereas the heavier 325 and 328 has the battery in the rear seat. don't think the marketing man decided on that.
f8., if you're referring to the e46, your "fact" is wrong. The 330 has its' battery in the boot, on the right hand side, together with the fuel tank and the driver (for a RHD car). Now, I think the accountants definitely had something to do with that.

Originally posted by beemaro@Dec 2 2005, 11:53 PM
Having spent a few months with an '04 M3 SMG...it felt like an overtuned engine begging for mercy. It would be like buying a computer with a 2 Ghz processor and overclocking to 2.5 Ghz. Why not just buy a better processor?
However, I always thought that that was the one aspect of the e46 M3 that was most brilliant. The fact that its' engine felt like it was going to burst, so highly tuned is it! Made it feel like a true race engine, something that would have to be re-built every 2 races kinda thing. On that aspect, I really think the "M" engineers excelled, despite the early reliability problems the S54 suffered.

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Dec 3 2005, 05:53 AM
Actually I know of one too many E46 M3 with blown engines.... You r one lucky fellow..It's gone before it happens.
Luck was not a factor.

The new owner is lucky cos Martha was taken care by an anal fanatic, who made sure ALL the reccommended recalls were carried out by Performance Motors Limited in Singapore.

Usage of the right engine oil; Castrol TWS Motorsport, is crucial in the health of this highly strung engine too, and you cannot obtain said engine oil in Malaysia.

As for the "recalls", they were all researched by me, as BMW Malaysia, Cartrade and Auto Bavaria all had completely no idea nor clue as to them. Useless incompetent assholes.

oh, the necc, u no longer have ur M3? bummer! i shoulda taken that taxi ride the last time u were at track. din know u were selling it oredi.

redd

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 4 2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, sorry dude. Didn't think I would sell it so soon either. I'll give you a taxi ride in my next ride.
which is????

on a serious note...

guys guys.... take hold of yourselves man.... i enjoy reading technical discussions but dont get things personal. i for one enjoy driving, whether cruising or pushing hard.

my take on this matter (feel free to shoot me down, it's my OPINION)

50:50 weight distribution: most of us in the usual driving environment wont feel the advantage of this. but to answer the question of whether it's important, it depends on the situation, the type of driving needed.

1. in rally this is advantageous as a balanced car will maximise traction on all 4 wheels. also it provides a balanced platform for you to transfer weight around while drving it. (ps 4wd is not there for weight disstribution, it's for traction and only traction). in situation where grip is low, transfering the weight of your car can help in direction changes and increasing traction will help you control the car better....ie to pull out from slides etc etc

i can comment only on the above matter as it's the only thing i know a bit. dont ask me about driving on track. although i should think it's the above principal taken to another level. but since i have very very very little experience driving on track, my opinion cant be taken into effect....

all i can say for sure is that the e30 is an enjoyable car to chuck around on the road. and i can say for sure it's not 50:50 balanced.

aku punya 2 sen sahaja

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 4 2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah, sorry dude. Didn't think I would sell it so soon either. I'll give you a taxi ride in my next ride.
I want that Yellow Taxi ride....!!!! :yahoo:

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 4 2005, 09:34 AM
Cayman S?

Necc, lend you a Centurion from the Red Army for the week. I need to hide one from my wife :) Just take good care of her. I hear that you love Vs.

On the weight distribution issue, there is no end in this arguement as it will go front to rear distribution the left to right distribution etc.... It's the setup and the driver.

Redd, just make an appointment with E46 etc and bring your cars to Links this weekend or next weekend. Have arranged with Kee to do Corner weighting for all owners to get their weight distribution rating so that they can setup their car properly for a spirited drive.

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Dec 4 2005, 03:06 AM
Necc, lend you a Centurion from the Red Army for the week. I need to hide one from my wife :) Just take good care of her. I hear that you love Vs.
No problem dude, I've got spare parking over here.

Originally posted by f8.@Dec 4 2005, 02:02 AM

someone please inform me if the battery of the e46 325 is beneath the rear seat or at the boot.

going from 318-325-330, each presumably has more and more weight upfront due to engine, and thus to counter this effect the battery position starts moving further and further back.
I think you will find that all e46s have their batteries' in the boot. Right hand side.

(So much bullshit...)

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Dec 4 2005, 04:08 PM
Redd, just make an appointment with E46 etc and bring your cars to Links this weekend or next weekend. Have arranged with Kee to do Corner weighting for all owners to get their weight distribution rating so that they can setup their car properly for a spirited drive.
WJ,

If you are not on coilover, what's the point? How to adjust?

zagato, WJ just wants to get the corner weights on paper (and to see if the E46 really is 50/50). then during the run, the superiority of each weight distribution will be proven. :)

i better slide my seat all the way back for the corner weighing session. hehehe...

redd

Originally posted by Redd@Dec 4 2005, 10:15 PM
zagato, WJ just wants to get the corner weights on paper (and to see if the E46 really is 50/50). then during the run, the superiority of each weight distribution will be proven. :)

i better slide my seat all the way back for the corner weighing session. hehehe...

redd
Actually, the session is only a feel good thing for owners much like dyno figures. Not about racing or going for a handling pow wow later. Not antagonistic in nature. Anyone serious about their car's handling should do it so that the right suspension can be fitted. In the absence of $$ to modify the suspension, the cheapest way would then be to load up the correct corners with sand bags :) It's almost a free resource.

Top Bottom