Manual Gearbox hissing sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

saifoo89

Club Guest
To fellow forummers and bimmerianz!I have a question regarding my 328 manual gearbox. Its giving a whining sound when in gears. The whining sound gets higher as i accelerate and decelerate, and gets very annoying at high speed too!I thought i should only hear the legendary exhaust note n probly some engine noise from the cabin. But this whining sound only goes away when i free the gears, while moving. The whining sound however sometimes is not there at all. It depends totally - If its there when i start the car and move in first gear its there all the time till i stop the engine. If at another time i start the car and go in first, its not there, then the sound is not there till i reach my destination and stop the engine.Might it be the pilot bearing??If so how much might it be to replace them? Please advise.It gets really annoying esp at hways.. Note, the sound comes from under the knob somewhere around the centre console also.Thanks guys for living this forum! Hope i and all the other bimmerianz benefit from your input!

Saiful, to help you clearify better if you give abit more information in terms of what gear box are you running. there are 3 types of manufacturer. ZF, Getrag and Jatco.
Also there is the 5 speed and 6 speed.
Single mass or dual mass?
all this information will help give anyone a better way to advice :)
cheers.

slyder;782339 said:
Saiful, to help you clearify better if you give abit more information in terms of what gear box are you running. there are 3 types of manufacturer. ZF, Getrag and Jatco.
Also there is the 5 speed and 6 speed.
Single mass or dual mass?
all this information will help give anyone a better way to advice :)
cheers.

Slyder,
Unfortunately i do not know what kind of GB im using. Its a 5 speed though. Im probably having the same problem as this.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=344138

Please rectify..SIFUS??

@slyder ... e36 manual trans don't come from jatco bro(only auto) ...GEtty and Zeffy for manual

saifoo .... yeh indeed just put your car up the jack and check the box as most likely sound like a Getty box which most of them carry here in malaysia ...

throw bearing could be the main culprit at times but do check on other areas too ...could even be a worn out guibo from the long shaft too could lead to such problem ..

how long have you had these car sir ? OR you just bought it ?? Or you've just converted it from auto to manual ? some history perhaps is good for us to know ...

If you've done a conversion from Auto to Manual ...then most likely you're in a tough situation and do geet back to the person who did this conversion for you

the whining sound is coming from the imaginary supercharger in the engine bay. the gearbox and engine feels that the supercharger needs to be there, so its making the noise for you. please make them happy and install the supercharger. :D

ICEMAN 13;782790 said:
@slyder ... e36 manual trans don't come from jatco bro(only auto) ...GEtty and Zeffy for manual

saifoo .... yeh indeed just put your car up the jack and check the box as most likely sound like a Getty box which most of them carry here in malaysia ...

throw bearing could be the main culprit at times but do check on other areas too ...could even be a worn out guibo from the long shaft too could lead to such problem ..

how long have you had these car sir ? OR you just bought it ?? Or you've just converted it from auto to manual ? some history perhaps is good for us to know ...

If you've done a conversion from Auto to Manual ...then most likely you're in a tough situation and do geet back to the person who did this conversion for you

@Iceman13.
Yes i have been using the car for over a year now, brought it from Roger @ Klang Lama. He converted it to manual before i took over the car. Probly have to check back with him which irresponsible workshop he did it at...

YES i think it might be the workmanship prob, but it was not there earlier (whining sound).
FYI there is a leaking below the sump probly oilseal fywheel gasket have to change?
And the gearbox is also not that smooth ie very hard to shift into gear R especially!(keras) and thud sound common when shift to gear 2....probly due to the workmanship- improper clutch set-up?

The throw bearings and guibo...approx how much the cost to replace? do u have the part no. or pic.

@Ramsing

Haha, Mr Racun already said it.....better lock my wallet tight! before i eat ur poison bro!!!
Let me ride in urs bro..maybe i will get poisoned :D

saifoo89;783103 said:
@Iceman13.
Yes i have been using the car for over a year now, brought it from Roger @ Klang Lama. He converted it to manual before i took over the car. Probly have to check back with him which irresponsible workshop he did it at...

YES i think it might be the workmanship prob, but it was not there earlier (whining sound).
FYI there is a leaking below the sump probly oilseal fywheel gasket have to change?
And the gearbox is also not that smooth ie very hard to shift into gear R especially!(keras) and thud sound common when shift to gear 2....probly due to the workmanship- improper clutch set-up?

The throw bearings and guibo...approx how much the cost to replace? do u have the part no. or pic.

@Ramsing

Haha, Mr Racun already said it.....better lock my wallet tight! before i eat ur poison bro!!!
Let me ride in urs bro..maybe i will get poisoned :D

sorry bro ..i would suggest you to get back to the workshop who did this work before you hear kaboomm and there goes the box ..
those throw bearing and guido don't cost and arm nor leg ..but what cost the most is the workmanship to get the box down ...so better spare more works on it ..clutch set etc etc

can't be sure but the culprit for the hissing sound could be one of below (or could be all 3 together),

- Input shaft bearing
- Pilot bearing
- Throwout bearing (or some people call clutch release bearing)

Logic explanation, you mentioned that the noise goes away when you free the gear while moving, i would overrule the propshaft since the sound is there and most noticeable during accelerating and decelerating (means when the clutch is engaged). the bearings that are under most load are the pilot and input shaft bearing. Throwout bearing problem is usually more noticeable when you disengage the clutch.

You're pretty much safe if the the problem is the pilot bearing (can buy at any bmw spare part shop) or throw out bearing (this bearing comes along when you buy a new clutch kit).

However if the input shaft bearing is shot, I believe this cannot be replaced since spare part shop don't sell this (tried looking for it at bavarian auto and they don't have it :(). your only option is to change the gearbox. I seldom hear people overhauling bmw manual tranny in Malaysia. So better be safe than sorry, if the culprit is not the pilot or throwout bearing, replace the gearbox. You don't want to spend thousands just to see the problem coming back to you sooner than expected.

Though after all that, we cannot overrule the synchros in your gearbox are shot as well and if those are shot, you have no choice but to buy a gearbox. Symptoms of shot synchros are usually hard to engage into gear and sometimes whining/grinding sound during acceleration and deceleration as well. So if by replacing the pilot and throw out bearing doesn't solve the issue (ensure that you replace the transmission fluid as well), better start sourcing for a new gearbox.

Pilot bearing is cheap. 30-50 bucks i think and you can get it brand new at Bavarian Auto. But the cost to bring down the gearbox depends on the workshop that does it for you. can range from 200-500 bucks. But since you're taking down the gearbox, you might want to consider changing the clutch kit (if you buy new, will come with the throwout bearing as well), pilot bearing, check the flywheel condition, and just to be on the safe side, replace the flywheel oil seal all together to save you future trouble. all in all will probably set you back at about RM1500 (estimated).

As an extra, check your transmission mount as well. Problems can appear if the mounting is shot as well. But usually it involves hard to shift.

Good luck.

clovi5;783289 said:
can't be sure but the culprit for the hissing sound could be one of below (or could be all 3 together),

- Input shaft bearing
- Pilot bearing
- Throwout bearing (or some people call clutch release bearing)

Logic explanation, you mentioned that the noise goes away when you free the gear while moving, i would overrule the propshaft since the sound is there and most noticeable during accelerating and decelerating (means when the clutch is engaged). the bearings that are under most load are the pilot and input shaft bearing. Throwout bearing problem is usually more noticeable when you disengage the clutch.

You're pretty much safe if the the problem is the pilot bearing (can buy at any bmw spare part shop) or throw out bearing (this bearing comes along when you buy a new clutch kit).

However if the input shaft bearing is shot, I believe this cannot be replaced since spare part shop don't sell this (tried looking for it at bavarian auto and they don't have it :(). your only option is to change the gearbox. I seldom hear people overhauling bmw manual tranny in Malaysia. So better be safe than sorry, if the culprit is not the pilot or throwout bearing, replace the gearbox. You don't want to spend thousands just to see the problem coming back to you sooner than expected.

Though after all that, we cannot overrule the synchros in your gearbox are shot as well and if those are shot, you have no choice but to buy a gearbox. Symptoms of shot synchros are usually hard to engage into gear and sometimes whining/grinding sound during acceleration and deceleration as well. So if by replacing the pilot and throw out bearing doesn't solve the issue (ensure that you replace the transmission fluid as well), better start sourcing for a new gearbox.

Pilot bearing is cheap. 30-50 bucks i think and you can get it brand new at Bavarian Auto. But the cost to bring down the gearbox depends on the workshop that does it for you. can range from 200-500 bucks. But since you're taking down the gearbox, you might want to consider changing the clutch kit (if you buy new, will come with the throwout bearing as well), pilot bearing, check the flywheel condition, and just to be on the safe side, replace the flywheel oil seal all together to save you future trouble. all in all will probably set you back at about RM1500 (estimated).

As an extra, check your transmission mount as well. Problems can appear if the mounting is shot as well. But usually it involves hard to shift.

Good luck.

the true sifu had spoken ..listen to him ...can't be wrong :)

Eh no la sifu.. coming from countless of internet reading and also experience from my own joyride during the conversion (for my case, the idiots didn't install the pilot bearing causing the grinding sound to appear).

In the end, lesson learned was don't ever straightaway agree with what your mechanic says without proper research :smokin: since "drumroll" yes, they told me my grinding noise was due to the gearbox and was adamant that they installed it correctly.

In the end, to TS, this is merely trouble shooting based from your explanation. So try the solutions suggested at your own risk. If you really think that the gearbox is shot and would like to try rebuilding it, if i remember correctly there is a CG name 5150 had his gearbox rebuild by his mechanic (but the rebuilding cost 20k) and seems to be having problem free. So if you have the dough, you can try and contact him. Though i would suggest for you to replace the easier to replace components first.

Also to lessen the blow to you, if you opt to try the replacements suggested,

-Pilot bearing,
-Clutch kit (with this, you will get a new throw out bearing as well if you buy brand new clutch kit)
-Transmission mounting (optional, if you think the mounting is shot, just replace them. its cheap)
-Flywheel oil seal (again optional, if its not leaking you don't have to change it. But if you had never changed it, I highly recommend you to change it to avoid the scenario if it decides to leak after you've changed the bearings. If it leaks, it will get to your clutch and will decrease the clutch's performance. and worse you will have to bring down the gearbox again to replace it)
- Transmission oil (Optional If the previous owner mentioned that he had just changed it, then you can skip this. However do check just in case if proper oil is used.)

I had the mine done to replace the pilot bearing and was charged 200 bucks for labour cost to bring down the gear box. If you're using getrag 220 gearbox with 9 inch flywheel, you can buy a brand new OEM clutch kit (LUK) at bavarian auto at about 500 buck. pilot bearing will cost about 50 bucks (can't remember), flywheel oil seal about 50 bucks, transmission mounting about 30 bucks each (got 2). Transmission oil, I'm not quite sure since mine was changed (since it was included in my conversion package). Probably get at about 200 bucks. You can do the calculation from here.

clovi5;783332 said:
Eh no la sifu.. coming from countless of internet reading and also experience from my own joyride during the conversion (for my case, the idiots didn't install the pilot bearing causing the grinding sound to appear).

In the end, lesson learned was don't ever straightaway agree with what your mechanic says without proper research :smokin: since "drumroll" yes, they told me my grinding noise was due to the gearbox and was adamant that they installed it correctly.

In the end, to TS, this is merely trouble shooting based from your explanation. So try the solutions suggested at your own risk. If you really think that the gearbox is shot and would like to try rebuilding it, if i remember correctly there is a CG name 5150 had his gearbox rebuild by his mechanic (but the rebuilding cost 20k) and seems to be having problem free. So if you have the dough, you can try and contact him. Though i would suggest for you to replace the easier to replace components first.

Also to lessen the blow to you, if you opt to try the replacements suggested,

-Pilot bearing,
-Clutch kit (with this, you will get a new throw out bearing as well if you buy brand new clutch kit)
-Transmission mounting (optional, if you think the mounting is shot, just replace them. its cheap)
-Flywheel oil seal (again optional, if its not leaking you don't have to change it. But if you had never changed it, I highly recommend you to change it to avoid the scenario if it decides to leak after you've changed the bearings. If it leaks, it will get to your clutch and will decrease the clutch's performance. and worse you will have to bring down the gearbox again to replace it)
- Transmission oil (Optional If the previous owner mentioned that he had just changed it, then you can skip this. However do check just in case if proper oil is used.)

I had the mine done to replace the pilot bearing and was charged 200 bucks for labour cost to bring down the gear box. If you're using getrag 220 gearbox with 9 inch flywheel, you can buy a brand new OEM clutch kit (LUK) at bavarian auto at about 500 buck. pilot bearing will cost about 50 bucks (can't remember), flywheel oil seal about 50 bucks, transmission mounting about 30 bucks each (got 2). Transmission oil, I'm not quite sure since mine was changed (since it was included in my conversion package). Probably get at about 200 bucks. You can do the calculation from here.

clovi5,
THANKS a lot for the input. Really owe u on this one, before some mechanic blow my wallet!
I will look into this matter later, most probly i will buy the pilot bearings at AB first. Yes, i will have to buy the oil seal too since mine is leaking already. Clutch probly only if its busted?

How about the transmission mount? May i know which ones u refering to? The linkage? Which control the shifting knob?
Does the throw out bearings come separately bro??

Thanks!
saifoo89

6.png

the mounting is part number 2

clovi5;783332 said:
had his gearbox rebuild by his mechanic (but the rebuilding cost 20k)

holy bend-me-over-and-ghee-me-up batman!!! 20k for a gearbox rebuild. err, did it involve using solid gold gears? for that kind of price, the gearbox better bloody well blow and swallow everytime he gets into the car.

Haha Perhaps da gear box was evolved to be fully semi automatic from a manual one or perhaps a race grade gearbox which is clutchless.

I have faces a lot of problem for whining sound.one of it came from improper wiring of audio sys..and ignition leaks to ground..just for info from nobody...maybe it not related to your problem..

ramsing;783976 said:
holy bend-me-over-and-ghee-me-up batman!!! 20k for a gearbox rebuild. err, did it involve using solid gold gears? for that kind of price, the gearbox better bloody well blow and swallow everytime he gets into the car.

Lol sifu ramsing. No idea. Was just quoting someone from the forum :p. Maybe it was + full engine overhaul.

Top Bottom