M3 Noise from rear

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MFun

Club Guest
Hi guys, New here and wanted to say 'Hi' to everybody. I have a couple of questions which I hope you guys can help answer. When I perform an acute turn on my M3, I hear a grinding sound from somewhere at the back of the car. This hapens intermittently esp if I am turning on a metal grate. Can this be the M diff working? Also has anybody changed the oil in the SMG transmission? How often should this be done? What about the power steering oil?Thanks in advance :eek:k:

welkam mfun..

had the same symtom.. i changed the diff oil.. problem solved..

someone told me we shud change the gearbox oil every 25k-30k km.. i dun think u can change the oil inside the smg hydro unit..

i dont own an M3, but i think it is due to air bubble trapped in the differential oil. like adliz mentioned, u need to change it

Huh? Air bubbles?!

Dude, LSDs make clunking noises when manouvering in tight spots at low speed because they're trying to do what they're designed to do.

guys,

i got my SMG oil changed before but it has not solve the clunking sound which should be from the rear diff..so i think rear diff oil change is the solution..my 2 cents though :lol:

I think all LSDs make "noise" during low speed tight manouvering. At least that's been my experience with the 2 vehicles I've had that came equipped with.

It's a sign that it works.

Or you could try jacking both rear wheels up and trying to spin one independently of the other. There should be initial freeplay followed by resistance.

I don't own a M3 but I have a 4x4 that has LSD. And yes, it makes that noise turning corners when rear wheels are engaged (switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel). It does not matter whether it's new/old axle oil or with/without LSD oil. Like The Necc said, it's doing what it's designed for...

Top Bottom