Looking to buy an E34. Need advice.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Redd

Club Guest
me mom's looking to get an E34. specifically, she's looking at a Year 1990 model E34 520i with 5-speed manual and 200k kms on the clock.what should i be looking out for with this car? i'm a total newbie to bimmers so i dont know heads or tails of what to pay attention to when viewing the car. what are the usual wear and tear parts, and/or problem parts with this model?any difficulty in getting it serviced? do i need to visit specific workshops who know their kungfu? what about parts - where to source?lastly, is RM29k a good price if the car is in good nick?any advice will be greatly appreciated!redd

1990 E34 for 29K is expensive la bro... :) the rear subframe is different.!! but easy to find LSD for it.!!

as for the M50B20 24 valves...it's different liao... :)

For year 90,29K is mahal......u canget it aroung 20-24K......if possible,look for M50 engine which i ithink post 91, 525.....E34 is a good car. Before commit, as usual check the car service history......most importantly make sure no major accident b4...sent to workshop for inspection...Good luck

Redd,

my ride is a '93 520i, "stock-standard" 5-sp.... :p

after you've tested your '90 520i... come to puchong... and i'll offer you a chance to tell the difference between M50B20-5sp and M20B20-5sp... :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

just PM me or call zoggee....

btw... maintenance cost on my car is low... because it's stock standard... no performance parts.... :yes:

regards

MagicFox, u have one performance part leh - the rear subframe inserts!

Anyway Redd, many workshops know how to service the E34 and parts are aplenty. Take the car for an inspection. If you are in PJ, many workshops available - Optimum, BA Auto Services, M1 etc - all in the Kayu Ara area.

pardon me ignorance, but...

1. what is M50B20 and M20B20? is it the platform code? what's the difference?

2. what's wrong with the rear subframe? and what are rear subframe inserts?

im more concerned about ease of ownership and reliability than anything else. the car will be for my mom to drive daily, and she's not much into car performance.

thanks for the info!

redd

Basically pre-91 models are all equipped with M20 engines, well the jurassic-anaemic 12 valve engines :nyehehe: :nyehehe: In 91, they introduced the M50 24 valve engines which is basically similar to the M50tu, M52 and M54 engines, of course the later engines come with vanos, double vanos, aluminium block and etc but essentially its all pretty similar.

As for the rear subframe, various models come with different designs to accomodate different rear diffs, but lest not worry there are plenty of used diffs in the market, on some models e30 and e34 diffs are interchangable (just change the back diff cover).

Anyway, are you interested in 530i w/ manual tranny(V8 engine) e34??? :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Originally posted by ALBundy@Apr 25 2005, 02:22 PM
Basically pre-91 models are all equipped with M20 engines, well the jurassic-anaemic 12 valve engines :nyehehe: :nyehehe: In 91, they introduced the M50 24 valve engines which is basically similar to the M50tu, M52 and M54 engines, of course the later engines come with vanos, double vanos, aluminium block and etc but essentially its all pretty similar.

As for the rear subframe, various models come with different designs to accomodate different rear diffs, but lest not worry there are plenty of used diffs in the market, on some models e30 and e34 diffs are interchangable (just change the back diff cover).

Anyway, are you interested in 530i w/ manual tranny(V8 engine) e34??? :nyehehe: :nyehehe:
3.0 V8 Manual tranny !!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Who do I have to kill to get my hands on this man !!

Too bad this car is as rare as seeing Britney Spears naked in the public pool !!

Even if there is...prob it would be a automatic.

E34 manual are R A R E in Singapore.

albundy, how much for the 3L V8 E34? im sure my mom wont be interested but if something like that could be had for a decent price im sure i can convince her to change her mind. ;)

redd

Originally posted by Redd@Apr 26 2005, 02:37 AM
albundy, how much for the 3L V8 E34? im sure my mom wont be interested but if something like that could be had for a decent price im sure i can convince her to change her mind. ;)

redd
Hee hee, check my other thread. I am also looking at acquiring an E34 too. AL did mention it was something like below RM40k? :ph34r:

3.0L V8 *gasp* hehe... u be killing italians and germans for breakfast and lunch. The 3.0 V8 engine is POTENT! BUT BUT... too bad it is only available in Auto. (unless I am wrong)

Originally posted by bindablitz@Apr 26 2005, 09:28 AM
3.0L V8 *gasp* hehe... u be killing italians and germans for breakfast and lunch. The 3.0 V8 engine is POTENT! BUT BUT... too bad it is only available in Auto. (unless I am wrong)
Bindablitz, per AL, it is a manual.... :yahoo:

Originally posted by bindablitz@Apr 26 2005, 01:28 AM
Its an original 3.0 litre V8 with manual tranny (yes original with manual tranny!). So expect it to come with all the bells and whistles. It belongs to my mechanic's customer. Asking below 40k which I think is pretty reasonable! Interested please PM me for my mechanic's number and liaise with him directly.

Rgds

How about 4.0 V8 manual? Heard 540i sports half cut may be coming to boleh land..........

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Apr 26 2005, 12:03 AM
How about 4.4 V8 manual? Heard 540i sports half cut may be coming to boleh land..........
I saw that car at Mpower last week while disabling my closed loop system from my DME...very normal but ..whao..!!! :eek: looking car.. B)

Top Bottom