Let the price war begin!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

han8

Club Guest
Consumers are expected to benefit from the move which has seen some high-end car importers bringing prices down between RM20,000 and RM40,000.Further price reductions are expected following yesterday’s announcement by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak that the Finance Ministry had been authorised to monitor the reduction in car prices as the Government was not satisfied with it.He said since local manufacturers and importers had not fully met the NAP’s objectives, he had directed the Treasury to hold discussions with them to ensure the reduction of prices was in line with the NAP."We hope there will be a drop in prices, and the Finance Ministry is currently monitoring the situation," Najib told reporters after meeting Finnish Defence Minister Dr Seppo Kaariainen yesterday.Volvo Car Malaysia Sdn Bhd announced price reductions of up to RM20,000, depending on the models. The seven per cent reduction comes into effect immediately.The company has said the price of its sports utility vehicle, the XC90, will not increase, although the motor industry had predicted that prices of four-wheel-drive vehicles and SUVs would go up.Volvo Car Malaysia managing director How Wei Thing said buyers can walk into any Volvo showroom nationwide and enjoy a reduction of between RM10,000 and RM20,000 on the marque’s vehicles."This translates to immediate savings for our customers as we are applying the new prices to our existing stocks," he said.How predicted the NAP would help develop the motor industry in Malaysia and benefit consumers as well.DaimlerChrysler Malaysia, meanwhile, has announced price reductions of 6.5 per cent to 10 per cent for all its completely knocked-down (CKD) models, with immediate effect."The CKD Mercedes-Benz C180K model previously retailed at RM255,800 but with the savings on duty, customers can expect to purchase the luxury make for RM233,888," the company said in a statement.The model with the biggest price reduction was the Mercedes-Benz E240K, which now retails at RM388,000, down from RM428,000."However, we foresee our CBU (completely built-up) vehicle prices to significantly increase as soon as our current stocks of imported cars are depleted," the company said in a statement."With these cost savings, there will be significant growth in the CKD production, thus bringing about economic benefits to Malaysia."Having invested heavily in the production plant in Pekan, Pahang, DaimlerChrysler Malaysia has demonstrated long-term commitment to Malaysia and will fully pass on the entire duty savings to its customers."It is learnt that UMW Toyota has slashed prices between RM3,000 and RM19,000, depending on the car models.The Toyota Camry will see the biggest price cut of 11 per cent (RM19,000) while the Toyota Vios will be cheaper by RM3,000.Hyundai-Sime Darby Bhd officials are discussing the new prices for their cars and an announcement is expected soon.Naza Group of Companies chairman and chief executive officer Tan Sri S.M. Nasimuddin S.M. Amin said his company was currently working out the new pricing of its cars, including the Kia range. how about price for bimmer????? ;) 20% cheaper ?? :rofl:

having price reduction like this means 2nd hand cars would oso be affected. Those who have bought Volvos before this would be cursing...

yiah........not only volvo.
those who like to sell their car will surfer as well...............need to lower the price, if not, cant change car............ :(
now still ok abit, situation will be worse later on..................... :ph34r:

good news 4 used car hunter by the way....... :nyehehe:

You Buy Cheap Sell Cheap...fair equation!

Similarly when car prices were jacked up in the 80s, used car dealers made a killing, car owners profitted as well as the resale value of their cars went up.

Well, DPM said car prices should be lower, this is my message to him, THE DUTIES IMPOSED ARE STILL HIGH! :getyourfactsright:

I'd be curious what BMW and Honda are going to do. $19k off the Camry! Wow, thats a big discount!

As far as I know, car prices is not a controlled item. What's this hoohah about "price reduction not enough"? What sort of economy are we running and what sort of signals are we sending to foreign investors? Didn't the government withdraw the "approved selling price" policy for cars?

No doubt as consumers we would like to have low prices but it's not the correct way for the government to be so paternalistic and their "we know it all" attitude, we know otherwise.

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Mar 28 2006, 02:26 AM
As far as I know, car prices is not a controlled item. What's this hoohah about "price reduction not enough"? What sort of economy are we running and what sort of signals are we sending to foreign investors? Didn't the government withdraw the "approved selling price" policy for cars?

No doubt as consumers we would like to have low prices but it's not the correct way for the government to be so paternalistic and their "we know it all" attitude, we know otherwise.
As far as I know prior to the NAP, the government still controls the selling prices of vehicles...the only time they relaxed it which was a pleasant surprise, was when the City (I-Dsi)/Vios was launched and selling below RM80k, 78,888 to be precise. Both cars are now selling for more than 80k, after complaints from you-know-who...

The other example was when Kia Spectra was first launched and the car was selling for RM58,888. I think most of you know what happened to the rest of the Spectra cars at Port Klang...

majority normal income earners will not be able to afford cars above 100k,
even with price reduction on a new BMW, still beyond their reach... so secondhand BMW market value will still be there... but not japs model. worst effect will be proton owners.

We are beginning to converge with the developed world with regard to cost of car ownership.

Basically what is happening is that the cost of car itself is going down but the maintenance (inc fuel, insurance etc) is going up.

So, the worst affected would be the bigger displacements and almost new car. So now you can expect all continental cars to halve their value after 3 years.

3 litre whatever that is older than 5 years would be strictly for enthusiast only.

Good news is that you may soon be able to pick up 5yr old E46 330 for less than 100k. Just do not expect to sell it back anytime soon, if ever.

Originally posted by thinice@Mar 28 2006, 01:35 PM
Good news is that you may soon be able to pick up 5yr old E46 330 for less than 100k. Just do not expect to sell it back anytime soon, if ever.
SHIT!! My car worth less than 100k next year!! Should a 5 year old E46 325 be selling at around 60k then? 318 at 40k? E36 318 at 10k? E30 at 2k?

SHIT!! My car worth less than 100k next year!!
What I am saying is that the bigger cc ie the higher the maintenance, the faster will it drop in price. Think of a Range Rover and apply it to a broader range.

A Vios on the other hand would pretty much retains its value.

Originally posted by thinice@Mar 28 2006, 08:42 PM
What I am saying is that the bigger cc ie the higher the maintenance, the faster will it drop in price. Think of a Range Rover and apply it to a broader range.

Mister, should i sell my car now? I dont wanna lose 200k in 3 years. Or should I keep it until next year then my car will be same grade as Vios? By the way, M3 requires a lot more money to maintain and its 3.2 liter so the price of the M3 will drop faster than 330 so next year M3's price will be around 80k? I think I better sell my car now and buy The Necc's car next year.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by Chelsea F.C@Mar 28 2006, 08:49 AM

Mister, should i sell my car now? I dont wanna lose 200k in 3 years. Or should I keep it until next year then my car will be same grade as Vios? By the way, M3 requires a lot more money to maintain and its 3.2 liter so the price of the M3 will drop faster than 330 so next year M3's price will be around 80k? I think I better sell my car now and buy The Necc's car next year.

Many thanks.
Dude, I've already sold Martha! She's now known as Kylie!

Mister, should i sell my car now?
First of all, this is just my own opinion/analysis.

I think M3 would hold the value better as it is an enthusiast's car. People who are willing to maintain M3 may not give 330 a second look.

On the other hand, once the new M3 come out, the value would drop like a stone.

As an exercise, try to check out the price of 5 yr 330 in UK in relation to new car prices.

00 330 Ci - 11k
New 1.6 Corolla - 12k

B)

Originally posted by thinice@Mar 28 2006, 10:44 PM

I think M3 would hold the value better as it is an enthusiast's car. People who are willing to maintain M3 may not give 330 a second look.

As an exercise, try to check out the price of 5 yr 330 in UK in relation to new car prices.

00 330 Ci - 11k
New 1.6 Corolla - 12k

B)
Shit, I have bought the wrong car then, think I must have to sell it immediately and buy it back again next year, it might save me 100k.

Any takers? BMW 330ci 02/04, 68000 km accident free, 40k worth of mods. Price? hmmm.....well..... next year the car will be valued at 100k, so how much I should sell now? Please advise.

Originally posted by thinice@Mar 28 2006, 10:44 PM

00 330 Ci - 11k
New 1.6 Corolla - 12k

B)
first of all, let me point out that your opinion and analysis is flawed.

on one hand you say that an enthusiast is willing to pay to maintain an M3 but the price will drop once the new M3 is out. Care to explain your logic?

The new V8 M3 will not be goin for anything LESS than 700K. trust me. Price of 2nd hand e46 M3 now 350-380K. So e46 M3 owners now all sell their cars to buy new V8 M3 when it comes out?
And dont forget the rarity value here. While 330ci dime a dozen in uk, us, aust etc. its still a small volume car here.

Situation in uk is VASTLY different. New car comes out with only a marginal increase in price hence lots of selling of the just-superceded models for the upgrade.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN MALAYSIA, OK? matter of fact people here rush out and buy just-to-be-superceded model cos new model gonna cost 40k-50k more. eg. e46 to e90.

thank god you're not in the car business.

Originally posted by The Necessary@Mar 28 2006, 10:41 PM

Many thanks.
Dude, I've already sold Martha! She's now known as Kylie!
Oh, you knew the story that's why you've sold the car.

I am selling mine now, get another back next year for half the price or maybe upgrade to M3 next year......hmmm....for 200k, I think I could get Modena next year, right? Mr. Thinice.

Top Bottom