Leather: Montana vs Nappa

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
The picture was taken in a BMW showroom in Sydney last year when I was there for the Motor Show.

My perusal of my old brouchures reveal that the leather is probably Nappa which is also used in the M3.

I beieve E46 used to come with Montana as standard and the E90 now comes with Dakota.

Both Montana and Dakota are the rougher type of leather.

Anyone care to confirm?

Thanks

FYI

"Nappa and Montana refers to the grade of leather. Nappa is more supple and higher quality (used in the E46 M3, for example), while Montana is stiffer, has more grain and is markedly less expensive. The Natural Brown in your 330i will be Montana."

see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81317

Anyone has the pleasure of having nappa leather?

Cheers

I had nappa in my previous E-class. Nappa is definitely much nicer than the Dakhota and Montana leather. No doubt.

It will be nappa for me if I have a choice no doubts. That is why on the higher end like M3, it tends to come standard with Nappa.

but now days there are immitation NAPPA's in the market ...every leateher shop would say it;s ori larrr ...but how to check whether it ori or not ??

Take the basic front seat. There is a fold in the LEATHER. Leatherette(FAKE!!) does not have this fold. Please examine the difference between the two photos. The first one has leather, the second does not.

1156894815505_ce_3.JPG

1154737304421_fake.JPG

There's an even easier way to tell. If it's cracked, faded, stained, creased and generally just looks like crap, it's leather. Leatherette, being a synthetic material, will have an uncanny "factory perfect" appearance and feel even in an older car. It does not age or wear quickly from exposure to water or UV radiation. Leatherette will not stain, wrinkle, or fade. And the smell is different too.. :)

M5POWER;524091 said:
Take the basic front seat. There is a fold in the LEATHER. Leatherette(FAKE!!) does not have this fold. Please examine the difference between the two photos. The first one has leather, the second does not.

1156894815505_ce_3.JPG

1154737304421_fake.JPG

There's an even easier way to tell. If it's cracked, faded, stained, creased and generally just looks like crap, it's leather. Leatherette, being a synthetic material, will have an uncanny "factory perfect" appearance and feel even in an older car. It does not age or wear quickly from exposure to water or UV radiation. Leatherette will not stain, wrinkle, or fade. And the smell is different too.. :)

Can not tell the different from the photo..:eek:

bmw7833;524094 said:
Can not tell the different from the photo..:eek:

Achayo.. Nak lagi detail?? Tengok ni..

This is what we call fold:

461-CA81747.jpg

Leatherette doesn't have that fold. Like my dad's old Perdana, thought it was an original leather. But since it doesn't have the fold, and feels ''kasar like hell'' then it's a Leatherette.

To be honest, based on the description, leatherette sounds better lol. :D Cheaper, won't fade or crack, long lasting, easy to maintain. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

evilnickwong;524111 said:
To be honest, based on the description, leatherette sounds better lol. :D Cheaper, won't fade or crack, long lasting, easy to maintain. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indeed... It's more durable but it'll take all the fun away from the Sheer Driving Pleasure :(

r37720;524171 said:
any kusyen shop in malaysia have nappa leather

most high end cushion shops have nappa leather as they order it from their supplier, but be prepared to pay another 30%-40% more of the total package price compared to fitting normal leather, this is due to the fact that nappa leather comes from a certain area of the cowhide, thus its limited availability of color and sizes-just like beef meat which has limited amount of tenderloin compared to the whole cow, i.e. 2kg of tenderloin compared to 80kg of beef in a cow

i have nappa leather in my classic citroen cx, i had to wait 2 months for that certain shade of leather that i wanted as nappa leather has limited colours readily available, plus it cools down faster than the normal leather ( my experience in the citroen compared to the volvo)

DSCN1354.jpg

it is much smoother , less wrinkles and urat compared to my OEM volvo's leather, basically feels like sitting on fabric compared to the cheaper leather which is harder

For original E36 and E46 leather, are they using nappa leather? Anybody knows who can supply nappa leather in Penang. I want to restore the E36 cushion. Thinking of dual tone leather.

Top Bottom