Jerky gearbox - cause?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mvaght87

Club Guest
Model: 318i
YOM: 2017
Trim: Luxury

The gearbox is very jerky/shudders at low speeds in Comfort mode, particularly around 80km/h at 1,500 rpm. Very troubling feeling from such a premium product!

Problem goes away if gearbox is put into Sports gearbox (S) mode, or the car is put into Sport mode.

SC says gearbox is "maintenance free" -- I call horse crap. Looking around the internet, it either needs to have the ATF flushed and replace, or it's a mechanical torque converter issue.

Anyone had the same issue, and what was the solution?

Ur car is still considered new bro. Do send it back to the SC to sort things out.

Ur car is still considered new bro. Do send it back to the SC to sort things out.

Yup, I do intend to send it in when the nearest slot is available. I'm asking for my own knowledge, so I know going in what the SC should be doing.

With newer cars, most of the time its caused by the software. Prob goes away upon updating the software. Seldom its a mechanical issue.

On ur own, u can clear the adaptation for the gearbox.

1. Press start button once to turn on power (Do not start the engine)
2. Press the accelerator down to the floor for at least 5 sec.
3. Hit start button once to turn off power
4. Remove foot from accelerator
5. Wait for min. 2 minutes
6. Start the engine and drive

also, what i have noticed, if i wer to floor the accelerator from a standstill a couple of times, the gearbox jerkiness will go away too. I think the car need a bit of rempiting to make it happy.... hahaha....

if problem still persist, SC is the way to go.

gendong, thanks for the tips. I was under the impression that this adaptive gearbox reset is only for E90?

Btw, the car was bought from Premium Selection, so it is a used car.

Nope. it worked on my F10 too.

oh Premium Selection. if a 2017, probably still hv the BSRI still intact.

Long story short, Ingress Damansara failed to correctly diagnose the problem TWICE. It fact, after the second time, they made it worse. The car's drivetrain failed literally the day after they said they "fixed" it aka took it in the workshop, let it sit aside for 4 days and then did nothing.

Took it back to Wheelcorp and it turns out it's a faulty wiring harness -- apparently this is an issue with F30 318i's so FYI if you have one too. Causes the turbo to misbehave and result in jerkiness.

p/s how do I file a complaint regarding Ingress' sh*tty service?

U may write to BMW Malaysia on your dissatisfaction with their dealers bro. There was a thread on this before.

But glad Wheelcorp managed to sort your issues.

My 328i msport have the similar problem recently, happen during low speed. From gear 1 change to gear 2.

It happen while i release pedal before it change to gear 2. if i continue accerate without release padel it will feel fine. Is that normal?

If you have transmissions issues which go away once you switch to sports mode, it is a software problem. Less likely to be a wiring harness - because both normal and sports modes use the same wiring harness, just shift points etc are commanded at different points.

Top Bottom