is E36 reliable enough?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ICEMAN 13;456309 said:
if you're willing to burn your pocket then buy BMW ...or else stay away and be happy with the sentra .... less headache and will save you moolah for holidays and so on ...

one word ...when you're not ready , you'll never be ready for anything and you'll keep on comparing and comparing which may result in confusion ...

want fun get the 6 potter ...i believe there is no such thing as 318 may be lower in cost and maintainance ...the only thing that would save a little , would be in fuel and roadtax ...

to get a good condition manual ...you may keep on dreaming as these goes like cheese cakes ...

ONE SINCERE advise : take the risk as life is short ... if you're not someone who dares to take risk ..then stay away ..

wahh!! Mr Ice 'racun' me kaw-kaw punya.. :biggrin:. Thanks for the advice.

to be frank, the E36 is getting old so can't expect it to be trouble free... The E36 318i manuals are relatively more reliable and low maintenance. Not that slow either with the stick shift.

Take ur time and have patience since you're not in a hurry to buy one. Good luck finding a good condition ride..

325i FC is better than 318i Auto due to under power of the auto 318i, unless its a manual 318i, FC good and pick up also better. I wouldn't suggest u to get 318i now because compare to 325i, market price not much difference and due to the low market value of E36 now, u don't spend a lot on insurance premium. Pay a little more on roadtax and it will never fail to give you a grin.

One warning though, the early bimmers do not have stability control devices and it gets pretty backside twitchy in wet curves that causes many inexperience drivers to lost their E36 tails.

Abundance of E36 parts in the chop shop and prices comparable to your N13 if not 5 to 10% more. Less electronics compare to the current bimmer, so many parts still can plug and play. Sap sap sui!

Some basic maintenance or trouble shooting skills will save u a lot in maintaining a bimmer. The 6-potter maintenance is slightly higher because 1-tong synthetic oil tak cukup, 6 ignition coil and 6 spark plugs, these are routine service replacement item, so cost wise, its a no brainer 50% more expensive. Other parts would be same same as 4-potter i.e. suspension, bushes, ball joints, radiator, cooling system, alternator, starter... in fact some are interchangeable like wiper system, windshields, headlights, body, door assembly etc.. :D :D

I drive an E36 for about 12 yrs.

Reliable - maybe. breakdown record:-
1. Overheating - 1 time due to hose break. my fault cos never change when required.
2. Battery Kong - Old battery cannot start after idle for 1 week.
3. Crank sensor failure - 2 times @90K and @ 150K
4. Fuel Pump failure 1 time - after 120K
5. Gearbox failure - 1 time @ 150K

So average about 1 breakdown every 2 years.

BUT the joy of driving a BMW - 12 years and counting...

jarance;456349 said:

1. Overheating - 1 time due to hose break. my fault cos never change when required.

Noted. I'll check those things 1st when I get mine :top:.

Bro... whats your budget per month? RM45,000 will burn you about RM800 per month on 36months loan term

I can afford 450-550 per month (5 or 6 years loan term) + 400 for repairs/maintenance + 200-300 (petrol), annual road tax not included...

Honestly what i see here, u will be very tight if u insist to own e36.

At that time..

Your fren can drink and shake in pub but u not.

Your fren can fly to Bangkok for chicks but u not.

Your fren can marry earlier for jail but u not.

and so on..

bmw7833;456360 said:
Honestly what i see here, u will be very tight if u insist to own e36.

At that time..

Your fren can drink and shake in pub but u not.

Your fren can fly to Bangkok for chicks but u not.

Your fren can marry earlier for jail but u not.

and so on..

quite true.. but the total cost involved could not be much different than, say, getting a new (overpriced, plasticky) city or vios isn't it? :wink:

armandd;456358 said:
I can afford 450-550 per month (5 or 6 years loan term) + 400 for repairs/maintenance + 200-300 (petrol), annual road tax not included... Is that enough for a 318? (Year 1996-1998)?

Yes can UNLESS U CAN PUT 50% Deposit from the prices...96 to 98 over 10 years all the car will go under Credit Com not Bank. unless u got frnds or sedara can adjust for bank loan then u will get 6-7% Intrest .and Credit WILL charges u 10%.....p/years same goes to bank,

My car prices 30K deposit 15k.and another 3K++ for insurance and roadtax...n bla bla .monthly rm404 = 48month..and the credit ask me to pay in PD Cek for 12 minth....b4 relase my loan....so bro u need to stanby atleast 20k for E36 park infront of urr garage.

p/s klu hati dah suka....tutup mata jer.....kira2 sure x jadi punya...huhuhuhuh ( racun baekkkk punya ):rock:

you asking this question in the wrong place...:rolleyes: hahaha

enough said, go buy 1 and enjoy urself... :top:

Actually I just bought meself a 36 as well 318 (M) and I took a loan just so that I don't have to fork out so much cash at once and plan to pay it off after 1 year. For 96, still can get loan from bank and not Finance. Interest lower than credit company also...if you want the bank's contact, can PM me.

Will write more about the car when it comes ETA after raya yippeeeeee

And yes, life IS short.

Prinze;456371 said:
Actually I just bought meself a 36 as well 318 (M) and I took a loan just so that I don't have to fork out so much cash at once and plan to pay it off after 1 year. For 96, still can get loan from bank and not Finance. Interest lower than credit company also...if you want the bank's contact, can PM me.

Will write more about the car when it comes ETA after raya yippeeeeee

And yes, life IS short.

wah sounds good..bro my car years 97 now...loan with cdit com..can transfer to bank loan haa.so i can..paid low monthly.....any idea.....?

hi prinze,

could you pls give me bank details... im having trouble getting loan for an alfa romeo 1999, most banks refer it as cold car?

thx sach

sachseelan;456373 said:
hi prinze,

could you pls give me bank details... im having trouble getting loan for an alfa romeo 1999, most banks refer it as cold car?

thx sach

Sach,

Call Public Bank Sunway branch. My last 3 car loans were with them good rate. I got my 13 year old E36 loan with them for 6.25% high but much lower than any credit company. Alfa, which one? My previous 156 loan was with them guess what, their rate was like 3.25!!! The owner whom I got my E36 from went with me to sign the documents and I ask him to inquire rate from them since he was looking to buy a E46 year 99, and they quoted him 3.9!!!

So yeah, give them a call. Look for Nora and say Desmond referred you. I am in no way connected to them at all, just a satisfied customer :top:

Desmond

simpan duit byk2 beli cash bro..............

bcoz after that many racun thing will comeout...........:top:

jarance;456349 said:

Thats amazing.. I have a long way to go. hheheh

yup ive been eyeing on a 99 2.5v6 for a long time... had a 146Ti back in 2000... thr romeo still never fails to impress a 'driver' ...

thx Prinze..

armandd;456358 said:
I can afford 450-550 per month (5 or 6 years loan term) + 400 for repairs/maintenance + 200-300 (petrol), annual road tax not included...

Most you can get from bank is RM25K and repayment is 3 years for 1996-1998 1999 may give you 4 years Means you have to raise RM20K cash plus OTR etcs RM2500 ... The first maintainance RM3000

Good luck bro... VIOS or CITY are diff as you can loan up to 7 or 9 years... They hardly break too...

Cheers

Top Bottom