Intermittent Engine Oil Light during low revs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

effierizal

Club Guest
Hi Guys! Currently driving a 99' e46 M43 with 200k+ clocked on it. Recently my GM tranny died and did an overhaul. Together with it I changed the tranny oil cooler unit, new radiator, thermostat, some T connectors and hoses. Yesterday while driving, the oil pressure warning light (red) began blinking on and off while stopped at a light in traffic. The light stopped immediately when I slowly accelerated. Blinked / flickered again as soon as I slowed to a stop. Immediately came home (less than a mile), and consult the manual to see what it said about the warning light. I knew that it could indicate yellow or red depending on the level or pressure but couldn't recall for certain which was which. Checked oil level and it is pretty much right at full. I changed oil about a month ago, Shell Helix 15w-40 with ori filter. I am bummed about the whole thing. I've never seen an engine oil warning light, in any vehicle I have driven. Has anyone had any similar problems? Hopefully it a simple thing and I am over-obsessing.:stupid:

Thanks Iceman..will check on that. BTW, if this is an early symptom of a dying alternator, wouldn't the battery indicator would light up in red?

Happened to me as well recently, with similar symptom as you mentioned. It was a faulty oil sensor switch.

Cheers

Mr President,

Which sensor you referring to? The oil level or the oil pressure sensor? Can it be some electrical faults? I cold started my car this morning with no problem, but after few KM of driving then the lights keep on blinking again.

oil pressure switch actually......

my story....had the oil pressure s/w replaced on my e39 due leak.
the light also flickers at idle and sometimes actually stays hard on(the light i mean)
the mech said to give to two days,which i did...and light was no more

in yr case it may be due to a weak switch.change it..

If you not really sure which sensor or switch, you could scan the problem using OBD-II scan tool.
Or is better if you have GT 1 which could really scan your whole car for problem. ^_^

Top Bottom