intake sensor maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

leforte

Club Guest
Is your car feeling abit slugish, idle feels abit shaky, midrange power dont seem to feel like it use to be (or how it should feel like from factory for those of you who bought the car used), your automatic gearbox seem to search for gears on the highway?? plagued by the occational dreaded Check Engine Light (CEL) or Transprogram Error (EGS) or the LIMP mode coming on? Try cleaning your sensors... my car felt fine and smooth but the OCD in me just had to try it. so I ordered a can of dedicated CRC MAF cleaner from the NET and a electronic contact cleaner from ACE a few week back. since i was free last last weekend, i decided to take some time pampering the car, started with removing the MAF from the car, then I blasted the hell out of my MAF along with some q-tip fingering, be VERY gentle as the wire/film is very delicate and fragile, do this at your own risk. you may skip this step if you wish. i was amazed how black and dirty the tiny sensor is even though its only been a year plus old since replacement. after that, just let it dry throughly and install it. started the car, it felt a world of difference. the engine felt and sound smoother, took it for a spin on the highway, the difference in engine responds in apparent on all gears. on the way back i remembered i had kept the old MAF (was changed coz of a MAF out of range fault code), first tried pluging it into the car, started it, but it felt like crap, so clean it with the MAF cleaner and try it again... wow its CURED, it felt like the new maf ..haha ..a spare maf in hand. test drive the car with a full tank of fuel. recorded the mileage as a guide for both MAF.this weekend i decided to clean the Inlet Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor as well. (This task is quite tough so its not recommended to those unfamiliar with your engine.) first remove the wire harness from the sensor then remove the IAT from beneath manifold. my sensor was covered with oil and vanish. wipe off the excess oil from it with a cloth. then dip the sensor in some kerosene (if you have any) or spray liberally with WD40 to disolve any remaining engine oil from its tip. wipe dry. then spray the sensor with the electrical contact cleaner to remove all traces of oil&solvent, let dry. Reinstall. remember to replug the wire harness. started the car, engine felt the same on idle. took it out for a test drive on the highway, the result is a much better responds across the rpm all the way to redline. tested car with a full tank of fuel and mileage recorded. improvement as follows based on a full tank of fuel and usual driving style:post MAF cleaning +30km additional mileage, rpm rev up faster n smootherPost IAT cleaning minimal/neglegible mileage change but the car felt more responsive, possibly due to better ignition timing with the proper IAT readings.spare some time to do the maintenance and feel the difference, you engine will thank you for it. Do note! for m54 and newer engines, your IAT is incorporated in the MAF housing as a single unit. so you wont have to do the second part. parts required as follow:-crc MAF cleaner crc electrical contact cleaner screw driver + - rag total diy expenditure > RM 80....Disclaimer:the above is only recommended for knowledgeble DIY gurus. i am not liable for any misfortune you may encounter due to your own stupidity. those who are too pampered and wussy about doing this kinda thing to your car, or cant even be bother getting your hands dirty, dont even think about it. to those who dont even know what are the parts in your car, its functions etc. .. stay far away and go seek professional help. and to those with nothing good to contribute to this post..SHUT UP!

Do u know which workshop offer the above service?? Looks great but afraid to touch the sensor by own lar..Poor on DIY..

i just need to do this but no balls n time. who could help? thx for the relieving info man... great!!!

cheers
sach

bmw7833;306795 said:
Do u know which workshop offer the above service?? Looks great but afraid to touch the sensor by own lar..Poor on DIY..

Aiyoyo...you guys are such a pampered lot.. its only a simple job that doesnt even take 15mins to complete.

anyway, most shop will tell you to replace the MAF and its not serviceable, unless you know the mech personally, he will not waste his time doing it.

sachseelan;306797 said:
i just need to do this but no balls n time. who could help? thx for the relieving info man... great!!!

cheers
sach

aiyo..what is wrong with you guys. no time? must be having too much TT huh?

wanna pay me? i may consider if the return is good :top:

Different league lah. You even install supercharger yourself. If we try something like that, probably cost more problems than good. Wonder if can convince my mechanic to give it a go. He cleaned the vanos recently and can feel the difference.

Great tip.

WHAT?? no wonder IKEA is making all the money charging all the assembly charges on simple stuff. sigh.. its only a simple DIY ler

Hi leforte,

Care to share what brand the cleaners you use and where to get? Pictures of the bottle will help, as well.

Thanks a lot. More tips on DIY is good. So far I only carry out microfilter and air filter cleaning. So would like to learn more from others. I even started DIY repair on my other Honda CRV, removing door card to clean speaker connector, and hand rest. Enjoyable for weekend task, aside from car washing. Started blogging with pictures on the DIY, also.

Cheers.

At least u provide us the pic how u done it, then may be we dare to DIY lar, braderr..

GOOGLE it!!!you guys are a real bunch of lazy pampered babies la... sigh:rolleyes:

just get a bottle of CRC maf cleaner and get the job done. point and shoot.

Anyway guys this is a sample pic of what you should be using to clean up your air flow sensor (CRC MAF Cleaner). U can get it at any spare parts shop. I got mine for RM 32 after bargaining a bit with the taukeh.

Also for those of you who doesn't know where and how to take out the air flow sensor (like me b4 this), here's a general guide that might be useful on how to do this. (Just focus on the air flow sensor part instead of the whole intake kit installation instruction).

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/intake/afe/54-10451_54-10441_instructions_BMW_E46.pdf

Hope this helps :top:

Cheers :hello:

Hi anyone know where i can get the CRC MAF cleaner in shops around KL or PJ??? Wizzart bro where did you purchase yours? thanks :)

B33mEr;372411 said:
Hi anyone know where i can get the CRC MAF cleaner in shops around KL or PJ??? Wizzart bro where did you purchase yours? thanks :)

take a look at bandar sunway or ampang. Or you can try other product that can work similar way such as wurth (germany's one).

Brothers in Ampang selling the CRC MAF cleaner for RM37. Just bought it yesterday,

hi guys

did the cleaning of the MAF and the IAT sensors. also cleaned the air filter since everything had to be taken out anyway.

throttle response feels better, butt dyno feels more shiok, and hopefully FC goes down.

DIY job done in about 45 mins.

good idea!

To be frank, a big majority of BMW owners aren't enthusiasts.. They buy the roundel, not the car... ;) And DIY isn't in the options list...

And for Malaysians in general, DIY is the last thing on their mind cos labour is dirt cheap here. So they won't bother getting their hands dirty or sweat over it even if these DIY jobs are simple jobs which a 12 year old can do with some common sense..

bmw7833;307056 said:
At least u provide us the pic how u done it, then may be we dare to DIY lar, braderr..

Here you go. As a bonus, there's a write-up of power steering fluid change DIY as well. I never used any DIY when I did it, but it won't hurt to have a guide like this. Good luck and happy DIYing.
http://www.bmw-planet.com/?p=171

Top Bottom