Inputs to comparo: E90 335i vs E46 M3

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ade

Club Guest
About the same century sprint. Going round a track in about the same time. About the same price range (older 335i and newer M3). Ultimate question: Why buy an M3 over a 335i? Must be something in the M formula that worked.

0-100 times.

'07 335i (Manual) - 5.6s
'10 335i (DCT) 5.4s
'02 E46 M3 (Manual & SMGII) - 5.1s
'08 E92 M3 (DCT) - 4.6s
and just for the fun of it '96 E36 M3 Evo - 5.3s as tested by Autocar...

PS: Car & Driver tested the US version (333hp) of the E46 M3 and got 0-100 times of 4.8s

Why buy an older M3 over a 335i? Maybe you need to catch a ride in one to find out the answer....

Have a look at this thread, it has been discussed before :top:
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?52584-Hmmmmm-E92-335i-is-faster-then-E46-M3

just hang on for about a year or so.. the E92 M3 will be most affordable then. the engine sound, the exhaust note.. that'll be my 1st M-car :biggrin:

335i is a beast in it's own right ... Easy to mod, can be adapted to use M parts like control arms and etc, torque spreads all over the rev range plus newer electronics like DTC ... However M cars like the e46 are track ready beast right out from the factory ... well special factory within a factory :4:

like you say it's a formula ... everything is made to complement each part of the car the engine, the software, the chassis, suspensions, bushings, the drivetrain and LSD. So what you have is one cohesive package that makes it a bit more special.

I enjoy driving a non M and a M car ... both have their own strength. My 330 feels faster around town than my e36 due to the way the torque delivers from 1.5k rpm and above however on track or on highway the M feels much more stable at higher speeds and gives more confidence even though there is no electronics stability control.

Oh and the noise ... the wonderful mechanical clanking of the M engine. It sings horribly at low revs but once the revs rises past 5.5k rpm up to the top ... Then it starts to sing beautifully ... the true voice and soul of M cars sits atop at the rev range.

M cars especially older ones like mine is not fast by today's standard nor the easiest to own but the driving experience makes it all worth it.

mizhan;848294 said:
just hang on for about a year or so.. the E92 M3 will be most affordable then. the engine sound, the exhaust note.. that'll be my 1st M-car :biggrin:

lebey kurang hega F30 ko tu jek. Apa tunggu lg????

mizhan;848294 said:

satu kali blip of the throttle ur already hooked? this is what i call as 'leading by example' bos......

Gonna catch ///M-Bug soon.....

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna catch ///M-Bug soon.....

Skali blip throttle sudah betul hooked....tapi skali taxi ride ludah melilih tak boleh tidur racun masuk tak boleh keluar le...

gendong;848313 said:
satu kali blip of the throttle ur already hooked? this is what i call as 'leading by example' bos......

I wonder how does maintenance compare between the 335i and the e46 M3....

The 335i turbos can be expensive to replace i guess...whereas the M parts are usually higher than usual BMW...

Both are great cars but for me ///M is always ///M nothing compares

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

initialM;848681 said:

Unless you have a modified 335i.....
Like the 380hp one a certain member here has. :angel:

initialM;848681 said:

agreed ///M is always an ///M..different class, different league, different respect..

sadly can't afford one or even maintain one...can only have a poor man's version of ///M :(

maxxsp;848684 said:
Unless you have a modified 335i.....
Like the 380hp one a certain member here has. :angel:

It's still not an ///M ... ask those with souped up Bimmer owners... yes, u may have higher power or better performance.. but deep down inside, they still have something to prove to M owners... coz they know - what they have, despite having more ponies under the hood, invested more 'hardware' ... it's still not an M... just like previous months.. when an Alpina owner joined the M group.. it tried to show what Alpina is all about.. guess it's still no where near an M

VKS;848731 said:
///M is nice but the road tax cost not nice..

That's why it's not for everyone. Those who enjoy finer things in automotive engineering would know what I ///M talking about.

Ade;849031 said:
Manual not bad! Red seats!!! Wonder what's the mileage?

Not sure...call the number and find out!
It's a steal at that price, the exhaust alone is worth five figures....the only issue is it is a 2001 model. Make sure the rod bearing recall has been performed.
I would be all over this if I hadn't already bought mine.

Time xcari keta byk lak keta2 power nak jual adusss

[video=youtube;vBF97qXVuyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBF97qXVuyo&feature=related[/video]

Top Bottom