ICE setup for E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alaindelon

Club Guest
hi guys, need some advise on ICE setup for E39 as the current stock setting is less than satisfactory. I was previously using the following in my previous ride and still in the midst of disposing them. I am considering to transplant them to the E39 if I can't sell them.1) HU: Alpine CDA-98552) Amp: Alpine PDX 4.1503) Speakers: Dynaudio (mids sold, left with tweet MD130, not an option for the moment)4) Kickers Freeair 10" subs in sealed box + cap ayam ampConditions:1) prefer to keep the ride standard without cutting the door panels or boot panel2) mounting the tweets in the original side mirror locations3) setup for SQ with good staging and image4) music preference: vocals, jazz and classical with occasional pop music.Queries:1) Which 5.25" components would be a good choice? - few installers have recommended DLS UP5 or UR5i. Any comment or is there anyone in the forum using these?2) HU dash panel - there is a dash panel for 1 din HU by American International BMW-K500 for E39 over the internet. Anyone knows where I can get them locally?3) Subs: big headache. 3.1 I know it is impossible for the bass to come out without cutting the boot panel. If it needs to be cut, how wide and how deep would you cut it and does it mean cutting the board as well? 3.2 LCP's free air infinity baffle seems plausible, but would the back passengers feel uncomfortable?Thanks in advance and looking forward to some suggestions.

1) There are a few 5.25" comps out there. I've seen Focal, RS Audio, Eton and MB Quarts used in E39 in stock location. The DLS are a good pedigree but listen to a few speakers first before deciding. The door panel is not very deep so you'd have to be careful in choosing a speaker with the correct depth that will not require cutting steel.

2) No, but have you tried e-bay? I thought the stock HU was quite decent. A good installer will be able to fit most 1DIN HU in the stock location and make it look good. Maybe change the speakers first and run it with stock HU and see how you like it.

3.1) If you choose the right SW, build a correct enclosure and get the x-over setting right there shouldn't be a need for cutting boot panel and you'll get plenty of bass upfront. Experiment with it before deciding to cut anything.

3.2) Don't know about LCP's product but infinity baffles usually don't produce tight and controlled bass as an enclosed SW would. If you're going for SQ, I'd suggest enclosed SW.

Check out the forums and info at this website: www.bimmerfest.com

Thanks Esjee. I had tried out Focal and MB quart but find that they are too 'bright' for my liking. That's why I wish to stick to silk dome tweets. But I have yet to hear RS audio and Eton though. There isn't much variety of 5.25" speakers which can fit into the standard mounting panel. sigh. but thanks for your advise about the subs. Will try it out without cutting the boot panel and see how they sound.

The standard HU is decent for normal playback but lack details when playing audiophile CDs. If anyone in the forum driving an E39 and managed to get good SQ by retaining the original speaker placement, please share with me about your settings. Thanks.

Top Bottom