humming sound from the back.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azadhamid

Club Guest
Just change my GB oil and axle oil. And also changed new sets of tyre, Falken ZE915 (1711).Everything was smooth and nice as new,... but after some real test, there is a hummingsound where i think its coming from the back area. The humming started at 130KM/H and gets worth at higher speed.To note that my windscreen is cracking, havent got time changing it yet.so, what's causing this?... the tyre, windscreen or maybe the axle?...Need helps from all sifu's here.

herbert;717246 said:
Most likely the humming noise is from rear wheel bearings.

Yes. And in my experience, a welded longshaft can also make a humming noise and in my case at speeds exactly above 160km/h and it gets louder when we go faster. A mech can check the bearings and the longshaft for you.

Im driving the exact spec like ur car. Base on my experience, it may be cause by the longshaft as 5150 said. Try replace the rubber located at the end of the longshaft (dont know what it is called). For the long shaft, dont waste ur money to spend on welding or balancing, replace it with other long shaft from chop shop. A welded long shaft is difficult to be balanced.

humming sound can come from many points as listed below

1) rear wheel bearing ( jack the car up and rotate the tyre freely ..if ya hear the sound that's the culprit )
2) drive shaft coupling worn out or a torn booth
3) long shaft coupling
4) the tyre has got a bump on it (These days new tyre's too have problems )
5) brake pad that has worn out or the pad has got a crack on it ..

hope this helps

5150;717344 said:
Yes. And in my experience, a welded longshaft can also make a humming noise and in my case at speeds exactly above 160km/h and it gets louder when we go faster. A mech can check the bearings and the longshaft for you.

wow bro ..what made you to weld ya longshaft ..that's kindda dangerous there ...

last time my falken tyre make this noise, then go to tth tyre change to brigeston. noise gone

ICEMAN 13;717387 said:
wow bro ..what made you to weld ya longshaft ..that's kindda dangerous there ...

Bro the story is like this, i bought my car when it was already converted to manual by the owner before the seller. So apparently the owner who did the conversion could not source the original manual longshaft set. As we all know a complete original manual longshaft is hard to find these days and i mean the front half . The rear half of the longshaft together with the axle are very easy to find, they're in abundance. So it turned out that particular owner used back the rear half but in order to do it some welding and balancing had to be done, and according to my mech it's very hard to achieve near 100% perfect. Luckily my mech managed to find one complete original manual longshaft set, after searching high and low!

TQ

5150;717566 said:
Bro the story is like this, i bought my car when it was already converted to manual by the owner before the seller. So apparently the owner who did the conversion could not source the original manual longshaft set. As we all know a complete original manual longshaft is hard to find these days and i mean the front half . The rear half of the longshaft together with the axle are very easy to find, they're in abundance. So it turned out that particular owner used back the rear half but in order to do it some welding and balancing had to be done, and according to my mech it's very hard to achieve near 100% perfect. Luckily my mech managed to find one complete original manual longshaft set, after searching high and low!

TQ

Hi 5150 & ICEMAN.

Today i had replaced my coupling, middle & rear.. the thing is, i had been welded.. and now I faced the humming sound in the rear..
I want to know, how much the longshaft price from the chopshop?.. And how much for the brand new?.

View attachment 27487

azmi318;794409 said:
Hi 5150 & ICEMAN.

Today i had replaced my coupling, middle & rear.. the thing is, i had been welded.. and now I faced the humming sound in the rear..
I want to know, how much the longshaft price from the chopshop?.. And how much for the brand new?.

View attachment 27487
Bro,

I got it for less than RM400, a 2nd hand original manual longshaft but my mech had to search foralmost 2 weeks!

My mech said even though the welding may appear good to the naked eye but it lacks the precision in high revolutions/high speed rotation of the shaft. My case it hummed approximately above 160km/h.

Do it bro and brings back the glory of the RWD bimmer...

5150;799717 said:
Bro,

I got it for less than RM400, a 2nd hand original manual longshaft but my mech had to search foralmost 2 weeks!

My mech said even though the welding may appear good to the naked eye but it lacks the precision in high revolutions/high speed rotation of the shaft. My case it hummed approximately above 160km/h.

Do it bro and brings back the glory of the RWD bimmer...

I had replaced the long shaft, but not the whole set, i just replaced the long one. After replaced, still have very minor humming and vibrate, need to send back and do balancing.

[video=youtube;ImXbZ8P0VEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImXbZ8P0VEQ[/video]

azmi318;800668 said:

I had replaced the long shaft, but not the whole set, i just replaced the long one. After replaced, still have very minor humming and vibrate, need to send back and do balancing.

[video=youtube;ImXbZ8P0VEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImXbZ8P0VEQ[/video]

Bro,

how is u'r car now?

I believe the humming sound is come from the rear axle.as u mention,u had replaced the axle oil..fyi,the old oil already mixed well with the metal particles inside the axle.so when u replaced them,the viscosity changed which became thin..i experienced it during my e36 318i ownership..after that i never change my axle oil,but had to top up full..

UnoS;812392 said:
Bro,

how is u'r car now?

After my wedding the longshaft vibration become worst, then i sent to my hometown workshop, they replaced it with new coupling again and do balancing and now works like charm.

My opinion, welded longshaft my can be done but with proper balancing..

Top Bottom