How are all the 3 series doing?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JayJhing

Greetings all the sifus and sijeh here :).

I'm thinking of getting myself a new f30 316i and was wondering how's the car coping out there. Is it a good venture or will it brings me loads of problems?

I have friends out there telling me that 3 series gives loads of problems and they told me if I want to own a bmw, I ought to go for 5series or higher. Any views on that?

Thanks a bunch guys :),
JJ

If you got $$$ to spend, better go for the 5 series. If you have limited $$$, go for at least the 3 GT. Space wise is better if you have a family. If you are single, your choices are more. More money, more choice. No money, no choice.

Actually, why don't you tell us what your requirements are from a car?
In my view, no point buying a 5'er if you're single and mostly drive alone.

Yeah I've only got a budget of +- 200k to get myself a good car. And I wouldn't want to buy a car which gives me problems. That's why I was asking hows the 3ers are doing out there especially the F30s. And yes I'm currently not married and helping my dad out in his company which is located near Batu Caves. Extra space are not necessary yet as the 3ers are spacious enough for me :). And am looking for a car which can easily scale the Genting road at around 50km/h @ 2500rpm maybe? :D

If u enjoy goin up Genting, try checkout the pre-reg 320d. 400Nm dishes out lots of joy..

_M_ said:
If u enjoy goin up Genting, try checkout the pre-reg 320d. 400Nm dishes out lots of joy..
I heard that the pre-reg ones are mostly test drive units? I'm not sure, just asking cause I'm in the same line just that I'm more on the commercial vehicles side of the line. If you know what I mean ;).

Pre reg are registered units under BMW for them to hit their sales numbers especially at the end of the year. These cars are stored and later sold at discounted rates. Mileage usually less than 500km on the dash.

The demo units are also registered under BMW but are used as test drive cars. The mileage is usually higher at above 1500km and the discount is usually higher than the pre registered units.

If you want to climb Genting... Get a diesel. The 380nm of torque will coming in really handy during those mountain climbs. Test drive and see the difference.

Happy hunting for a good car and a good bargain.

All cars have its own problems and the F30 is no stranger to this. Some might have less problem and some might have more problems. My 316i belongs to the 'more problems' category unfortunately so I had to visit the workshop more often than other owners.

So it really depends on your luck!

Actually depending on your nego skills you can get a pre-reg car with almost 0km on it. Basically BMW doesn't allow the dealers to sell pre-reg cars till the car has clocked a minimum of 1k km on the odo. So some dealers are willing to let customers do this 1k km run in by themselves and once you hit the 1k km, they do the title transfer from dealer name to your personal name. So during that 1k km run in period the car is still registered under the dealer name and you will be driving it insured under the dealer policy. But at least you know the car is brand new and it was driven sensibly by your goodself rather than letting the dealer run in the 1k km for you.

The downside is after 1k km you need to send car back in to do the title transfer which can take a few days. So you have the hassle of no car to use unless the dealer has a courtesy car for you to use during this time. So pre-reg cars are worth while to look at since you can get considerable savings and you can literally get it brand new. That's just my IMHO ya.

Never knew that you can get a near 0km for a pre-reg. hahaha. Will certainly keep this in mind. Thanks ehoe!

I too bought a 0km pre-reg.
If you really push them, the 1,000km transfer can be done in a way that minimizes the hassle and car-less time to your self.
Mine took about an hour.

JayJhing said:
Yeah I've only got a budget of +- 200k to get myself a good car. And I wouldn't want to buy a car which gives me problems. That's why I was asking hows the 3ers are doing out there especially the F30s. And yes I'm currently not married and helping my dad out in his company which is located near Batu Caves. Extra space are not necessary yet as the 3ers are spacious enough for me :). And am looking for a car which can easily scale the Genting road at around 50km/h @ 2500rpm maybe? :D

with a budget of 200k, the C200 should be clearing now, it has more specs than the F30. and it is much quieter.

Optionally, you can have a look at the S60 T4. Extreme comfort. road noise and wind noise are F30 biggest enemy

But if you worry about maintanence, you can give Mazda 6 2.5 a try, and save 10k for repairs. it is more powerful than the 316i. will most definitely be cheaper to maintain in the long run. space wise its bigger too. while driving up Genting, you can enjoy the Bose speakers, 316i comes with a crappy 6 speaker setup. even the 328i, 9s are not noteworthy.

But if you need the prestige. then get the F30 or the Merc.

Prot said:
with a budget of 200k, the C200 should be clearing now, it has more specs than the F30. and it is much quieter.

Optionally, you can have a look at the S60 T4. Extreme comfort. road noise and wind noise are F30 biggest enemy

But if you worry about maintanence, you can give Mazda 6 2.5 a try, and save 10k for repairs. it is more powerful than the 316i. will most definitely be cheaper to maintain in the long run. space wise its bigger too. while driving up Genting, you can enjoy the Bose speakers, 316i comes with a crappy 6 speaker setup. even the 328i, 9s are not noteworthy.

There s good discount on c200 now? [emoji13]

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yep Merc C-Class clearing stock now. I think the C200 has a 20+k discount now. There is even a C200 AMG Grand Edition which comes with the AMG sports kit and that is discounted to around 242k. If u r a fan of the current C then good time to get one. But if you think you can stretch your budget might as well wait for the new C-Class.

The c200 was going for RM226k (I'm not sure what retail is, but the SA told me 40k+ discount) when I enquired in Nov 2013.
They also emphasized that it's a new car, not pre-reg.

dynamite said:
The c200 was going for RM226k (I'm not sure what retail is, but the SA told me 40k+ discount) when I enquired in Nov 2013.
They also emphasized that it's a new car, not pre-reg.
yes. now it is the best time to the C200, you can hard nego with them because the all-new is on the horizon.

its brand new, not pre-reg, or in my analogy, pre-molested.

Prot said:

Yeahh thats the thing there, My elder bro already got his Merc C200 earlier this year :/. And I wouldn't wanna go for the same car as him haha! I've also got friends telling me to go for Audi A3 or A4 instead because apparently they said that BM 3series has been having problems with their iDrive sensors for some time now and they could not rectify the problems? I'm not sure :\ Dilemma much and the A3 1.4 TFSI I dont think its powerful enough and 1.8TFSI might as well go for A4 1.8TFSI seeing that leg room are much better but A4 model will be changing soon I guess 2016? :| Gahh

Top Bottom