Hissing windscreen

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

antiquer

Official Member
Hi guysI just acquired a 2002 e39 2 months back. On the first day of ownership I noticed hissing sound coming from the windscreen as I sat on the passanger side. I touched the screen near the pillar n the sound got louder an the screen was slightly moving outward when pushed while the car was moving only 80kmh. Noticed the rubber lining hardened n broke to pieces.Went to drcermin n he said need to remove the screen n replace the rubber, but the screen most likely will break. So he quoted me a price for new screen installation (forgot how much). He also refused to remove the screen without breaking it as he said most probably will break. So I left.Went to my trusted mech n he said probability to break is low n quoted me new windscreen installation. Way cheaper than drcermin with the same kind of screen. So he installed.Fortunately my screen didnt break. Replaced the rubber n installed the screen back. Windscreen intact but the hissing still heard but this time not as loud as before n only at higher speed (110kmh n above). This sound bugging me and make me uncomfortable.Sifus pls advise my next action..Thanks in advance.Sent from my GT-N7100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Sorry the post is too long as I prefer to tell the detail for better consideration. Happy reading. And dont forget the advice.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Woa... this is a hard one bro. Confirm coming from windscreen?

Try checking whether wiper area has any plastic cover broken. If there is can try replacing and see if the sound goes away.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi bro...
Since wind screen refit n still there is thus hisding sound...
Please reconform from where this hisding sound come from..
Do check your door weather strip(have replace mine solved this issues)...
Also check your door seal that is fitted to the door...

Aku ada stereng lori....ko adaaa....

insomniac;831154 said:
Woa... this is a hard one bro. Confirm coming from windscreen?

Try checking whether wiper area has any plastic cover broken. If there is can try replacing and see if the sound goes away.

Yes the plastic cover beneath the wiper has chipped edges.. will try to replace that.. never cross my mind that thing caused the problem.. good idea.. thanks

Volvos525i;831156 said:
Hi bro...
Since wind screen refit n still there is thus hisding sound...
Please reconform from where this hisding sound come from..
Do check your door westher strip(have replace mine solved this issues)...
Also check your door seal that is fitted yo the

My weather strip n door seal is fine.. ive checked them physically.

Will check them again thoroughly..

Thanks volvo

antiquer;831169 said:
Yes the plastic cover beneath the wiper has chipped edges.. will try to replace that.. never cross my mind that thing caused the problem.. good idea.. thanks

Emmm dont think the hissing sound comes from there...if so water will also siips in right...just my 2.5cents a bewbie...

Volvos525i;831171 said:
Emmm dont think the hissing sound comes from there...if so water will also siips in right...just my 2.5cents a bewbie...

May be the water sip in but too small amount that they didnt have enough time to accumulate somewhere before they vaporized.. just may be.

U not so newbie la.. I just had my e39 2 weeks before u did .. we are same same.. but u had more knowledge than me bcos always online... pagi ada, ptg ada, mlm ada, tgh mlm pun ada... hehehe.. 300++ what an achievemnt.. congrats

antiquer;831179 said:
May be the water sip in but too small amount that they didnt have enough time to accumulate somewhere before they vaporized.. just may be.

U not so newbie la.. I just had my e39 2 weeks before u did .. we are same same.. but u had more knowledge than me bcos always online... pagi ada, ptg ada, mlm ada, tgh mlm pun ada... hehehe.. 300++ what an achievemnt.. congrats

No lah still newbie maa to the world of bmw hehe...
Well always on9 since quite free lately haha...

Bro...eventhough the wiper cover is koyak there should not be any hissing sound bcoz its purposed just for finishing looks only...
Normally the hissing sound will comes in either from your door weather strip or the door body frame...
For your info my wiper cover also gone the top side but there is no hissing sound...my 2.5cents am a newbie...

antiquer;831169 said:

All these noises sometimes damn difficult to identify the cause... and like you said very annoying.
The wiper cover is not a sure thing but since broken might as well try. Let us know how it goes.

i'd suggest you tape up the windscreen edges temporarily to eliminate air leak from that area..you can use wide cellophane tape.
the e39 windshield is affixed to the frame by sealant and the sides,top and bottom covered by the rubber surrounds.
improper fitment of these pieces can also cause sound.

moots;831203 said:
i'd suggest you tape up the windscreen edges temporarily to eliminate air leak from that area..you can use wide cellophane tape.
the e39 windshield is affixed to the frame by sealant and the sides,top and bottom covered by the rubber surrounds.

I will try that.. but after two weeks.. my car just went for fresh paint.. baru 3 hari masuk.. td rindu sgt trus start moto pi tgk kat wkshop..

moots;831203 said:

That is what im afraid of..

It can be redone bro if its really improper fitting.

My mechanic was telling me that the headache abit one is the rear windscreen because of the demister.

Applies to the windscreen too? Thought it was just the doors. Nice piece of info.

DR.TS;831594 said:
Maybe sound coming from side miror..

Mmm.. is that so.. my side mirror is stock standard n nothing is broken there.. thanks.. I'll check it..

Top Bottom