High Performance Brakelines for my E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
3er;728648 said:
Got any for E90?

we are planning for group buy in the future. waiting for the price list and tax calculate from the forwarder. please stay tune into this thread

Is time to update my installation of the Brakelines.

IMG_0798.jpg

car is jacking up

IMG_0800.jpg

the old brakeline

IMG_0802.jpg

using Showa brand DOT3

IMG_0801.jpg

the new brakeline is on action

IMG_0803.jpg

old brakelines is ready to go into dusbin.

after testing fro about 100Km, the braking feel is actually more firm.

Nice upgrade bro :top: I'm on Pro-RS for 3+ yrs already so far so good hehehe PM me the price for E46 am curious to know :4:

What is the lifespan for the goodridge?

IMG_0802.jpg

bro, can i know what's the reason you use DOT3 brake oil, instead of DOT4 ?

pussy;731092 said:
IMG_0802.jpg

bro, can i know what's the reason you use DOT3 brake oil, instead of DOT4 ?

There is not so much different between DOT 3 and DOT 4.

please refer to the picture below,

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

B33mEr;730958 said:
Nice upgrade bro :top: I'm on Pro-RS for 3+ yrs already so far so good hehehe PM me the price for E46 am curious to know :4:

What is the lifespan for the goodridge?

Bro,

Price PMed to you. for the lifespan is depend on the usage. but i can say Min 5 years no problem.

sewell;731153 said:

QUOTE]

sewell,

DOT 4 handles higher heat and e39 service manual specifically state that DOT 4 is to be used. So in another words, BMW does not feel comfortable that the braking system will not raise the brake fluid above a temperature that DOT 3 can handle. You can put DOT 4 in place of DOT 3 and not the other way round.

Herbert;731162 said:
sewell;731153 said:

QUOTE]

sewell,

DOT 4 handles higher heat and e39 service manual specifically state that DOT 4 is to be used. So in another words, BMW does not feel comfortable that the braking system will not raise the brake fluid above a temperature that DOT 3 can handle. You can put DOT 4 in place of DOT 3 and not the other way round.

Mr.Hebert,

lots of the brand outside who advertise DOT4 are actually DOT3 for the brand what i am using. as for your information. my DOT3 is in white color. not that you found outside DOT 3 red in color.

huskar3399;731105 said:
i don't quite get what u mean. for u is proRs or goodridge better?

Sorrry, I mean Goodridge is better, much much better

hky;731167 said:
Sorrry, I mean Goodridge is better, much much better

Great to know ... but in what way is it better? does it brake any differently compared to ProRS? Any change of feel on the brake pedal?

I had ProRS on my previous Accord, I didn't really feel much different after changing, and it didn't last me. One of the line broke after changing my suspension. ProRS said the suspension guy tied it wrongly, I wonder how that happened.

This Goodridge was different, it feels firmer than the ProRS, but then again it can be subjective, coz different car, but braking confidence is there, enjoying my morning work drive. hehe

Dot 4 is a for higher boiling point means better brake feel during hard/long drives which requires less brake fade.

example, DOT 3 has lesser boiling point, means more brake fade after a few laps in the track, whereas DOT 4 or higher will have less brake fade.

By the way, BMW brake seals at the calipers are made to take DOT4 above and resistance movement of seals of the Master Cylinder is based on DOT4, not DOT3.

Yes, DOT 3 and DOT4 colour does not mean anything.

pussy;731229 said:
Dot 4 is a for higher boiling point means better brake feel during hard/long drives which requires less brake fade.

example, DOT 3 has lesser boiling point, means more brake fade after a few laps in the track, whereas DOT 4 or higher will have less brake fade.

By the way, BMW brake seals at the calipers are made to take DOT4 above and resistance movement of seals of the Master Cylinder is based on DOT4, not DOT3.

Yes, DOT 3 and DOT4 colour does not mean anything.

bro pussy,

refer to the chart of the DOT3 and DOT4 i uploaded abover

DOT 3 requirement wet boiling point require from JIS min140'c where the product DOT3 score 154'c ( which only 1'c lower than DOT4 requirement from JIS)
dry boiling point require from JIS min205'c where the product DOT3 score 254'c ( which is exceeded DOT4 requirement from JIS)

Refer to DOT 4 requirement from JIS wet boiling point from JIS standard is min 155'c and dry boiling point is 230'c

so i am sure that this Showa DOT3 brake fluid can fufill the needs of our BMW requirement.

Was intrigued by this discussion. Inorder to be absolutely sure, i did a test in my cars. To be exact, 3 cars. i drove around kl on an hot afternoon. Hard braked a few times and quickly jumped down to take the temperature at calipers and backing piece of pads. Second scenario, drive at nkve and hard braked from 180-50 a few times then stopped.

Here are the results.

Camry 2.4, 83'C, 88'C
E32 740iL, 78'C, 89'C
E38 750iL 82'C, 97'C

The brake fluid is physically in contact with the calipers so i guess it would be pretty close to fluid temp. If given allowance 20' extra, i believe its still below 120'.

So technically, the showa dot3 would have no problem performing, but rationally, for little difference i will go for better dot4.

Brake fluid deteriorate with accumulation of oxidation and humidity. I flush mind everytime i changed my front pads. A little over the top, but buy me some comfort and just to make sure i enjoy the new pads with no spongy feel on the pedal.

Just my two cents worth

sewell;731253 said:
bro pussy,

refer to the chart of the DOT3 and DOT4 i uploaded abover

DOT 3 requirement wet boiling point require from JIS min140'c where the product DOT3 score 154'c ( which only 1'c lower than DOT4 requirement from JIS)
dry boiling point require from JIS min205'c where the product DOT3 score 254'c ( which is exceeded DOT4 requirement from JIS)

Refer to DOT 4 requirement from JIS wet boiling point from JIS standard is min 155'c and dry boiling point is 230'c

so i am sure that this Showa DOT3 brake fluid can fufill the needs of our BMW requirement.

Top Bottom