Hidden climate control tricks : e36 Easter Egg

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
For those who couldn't get this special function, are you by any chance using Japanese spec cars?
Mine is.....

Seems to be that way....
SO, that means the UK spec cars have it......?
!@!#*!@#

Originally posted by DingChavez@Feb 2 2006, 12:26 PM
tried on mine also.... nothing happened. maybe because i dont have aircon kot.... :p
Aircon is for wuss!!!

No aircon.. manly!!!

*Sorry guys... private joke.

I believe the trick only works on 96s or early 97s . :(
there is also another one which is useful should you need to check if everything on your meters are working .
Just Hold down the mileage reset button/stick while turning the key to ACC . You will see that some test sequence will take place ( even shows your car's max.top speed ) and ends with all your warning/indication light being switched on and speedo + tacho meter goes to max and back.
All this I learned from yan.

Originally posted by Straightsixers@Jan 19 2006, 03:38 PM
Yup I tried it and it works... :D

Cool!

Only thing is to get it back to normal air cond/temp readings, i had to stop turn off ignition and start again.

Notice a certain warm scent though through the vents when in the alternative mode. curious.
Hi there bro,

You don't have to stop to turn off your ignition when you want to revert the settings back to your air-con controls. Simply just reverse the process by pressing the recycling air button(just above the demystifyer button) and the auto button simultaneously and everything goes back to normal. Just my 2 cents worth... :yes:

Originally posted by aramis@Jan 26 2006, 12:21 AM
Mine is Jap spec...and no eggs for me as well... :(
Bros,

these modes only works for the E36ers that runs on the digitize air-con control. :yes:

Originally posted by seb@Jan 16 2006, 09:22 AM
People,
Found this in a forum.

'I'm too excited to inform you about a new discovery that I've made over the last week end. Maybe some of you guys were already aware of that but I wasn't.
If you press the "auto" and the rear window "defrost" buttons at the same time while the car is running, the climate controls display's changes into a data display.
On the left hand side you will see a number between 1 and 12 and on the RHS you will see an other set of numbers. If you press + and - of the climate control, you will see that the numbers on the LHS change between 1 and 12. I couldn't figure out all of the steps between 1 and 12 but I'm sure that step 6 shows the actual rpm and step 7 shows the actual speed in km/h. I also assume that steps 1 and 2 show oil and coolant temperatures. so it is for you guys to figure out the rest. If I'm correct about temperatures, there is no more need for extra gauges. I hope this was something new for you guys as well. I asked about it to my service but they didn't have a clue about it. Enjoy your new trick'

Tried this on my E36 and indeed it works. Still not sure what those numbers on different channels mean. Can anyone figure it out?
Hi guys,

For those of you who's with the E36ers and would like to know the what the HVAC codes are, check this out:

HVAC Hidden Test Functions (Climate Control) - E36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning System) of the 1996 E36 has
a feature allowing different sensor values to be displayed on the control panel.

To Access the Display Function:
Press the "AUTO" and "REAR DEFROST" buttons simultaneously.
12 displays are available.
Toggle through them by pressing the fan rocker (+ or -) switch.

Number
Test Function

1 Interior Temp Sensor
2 Exterior Temp Sensor
3 Left Heater Core Sensor
4 Right Heater Core Sensor
5 Evaporator Temp Sensor
6 Engine Speed Input
7 Road Speed Input
8 "Y" Factor Value
9 Fresh Air Flap Position (%)
10 AUC Sensor Voltage
11 Battery Voltage
12 Software Version
Copyright ? 1999 Richard Nott

To Exit the Display Function:
Press the "RECIRC" and "AUTO" buttons simultaneously, or
Turn off the Ignition.

Note:
1. Decimal Points are not shown, Hence 75.5% is displayed as 755.
2. All Temperature displays are in ?C (Centigrade).
3. Negative values are indicated with minus sign

Hope this will be useful... :yes:

Thanks Eric, for reminding me of this.

(Moving this thread to 3-series subforum, since it applies only to e36.)

thanks for the update acschnitzer...

i was told by a guy before that can even check on the cam setting degree... mmm not true i guess...

Top Bottom