HELP! SMG can't select reverse.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
leforte;390061 said:
Quote from beemer's post.

...Mine is a 5 speed getrag unit GS5S31BZ according to realoem.com :D

If yours is a getrag unit, the unit should be a S5D250G, the shifting pedals are PULL only on either left or right to shift. GS5S31BZ is a 5speed Magnetti Marelli unit. this is a SSG equipped model. the shifting can be done via pulling/pushing on either pedal. what is yours?

LOL ... you are talking about the difference of AMT system between SMG2 and SSG. My argument is that MM doesn't make or supply gearbox to BMW only the SMG/SSG system itself NOT the gearbox.

...M3 SMG2 uses the same gearbox as found on the regular manual M3 ... i didn't know Siemens made gearbox too :D

M3 uses the getrag S6S420G unit which is also use in the smg equipped cars. this gearbox is also used in the e46 manual m3, euro e36 m3 evo, e34&e39 540i manual 6speed cars.

Which emphasise my point of economies of scale :D BMW can't afford to make a small volume SMG specific gearbox ofr non ///M E46 hence even you point it out that the S6S420G is used on various models of BMW :rolleyes: hence it applies the same with E46 SSG which utilies the basic manual gearbox as found on manual e46 cars.

siemens dont make any gearboxes but they make and supply the smg control unit (EGS)

you totally ignore the fact that Magnetti Marelli doesn't make gearbox ... just visit the website and try to find any mention of MM making gearbox??? they're the same like Siemens whereby they supply only the AMT system.

Ok ... here's my proof and hope this list is useful reference for everyone on deciphering their gearbox numbers :D

http://translate.google.com.my/tran...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=yCO&sa=G

It even list my transmission GS5S31BZ as ..... errr ZF (ok lah am wrong on the getrag g/box huhuhu :p)and NOT by Magnetti Marelli ... MM just supply the AMT system to BMW just like Siemens :D. I drive a SMG/SSG car so i do need to know this things if not koyak laaa hehhehe :D Hope this will put and end to the argument whether MM supply gearbox as well as the AMT system to BMW cos clearly they just supply the system NOT the gearbox :D

List of suppliers of transmission to BMW - Getrac, Jetco, General Motors Powertrain (GMPT), ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen)

Trivia

did you know that The Zeppelin Stiftung Foundation, which is largely controlled by the town of Friedrichshafen, owns 94% of the company ZF and ZF was founded in 1915 by Ferdinand von Zeppelin (the Zeppelin inventor)

I think we worried more about who developed the gearbox, the system and the name of so called SMG aka SSG. This is more important to discuss from the thread title. His ride cannot shift to R now. So the SMG aka SSG master kindly help him.

Soon I change to DSG. It is better & faster plus more fun from SMG aka SSG. Haha.

Opps Paul I'm sorry.

Soon I change to DSG. It is better & faster plus more fun from SMG aka SSG. Haha.

Opps Paul I'm sorry.

YellowMellow;390080 said:
I think we worried more about who developed the gearbox, the system and the name of so called SMG aka SSG. This is more important to discuss from the thread title. His ride cannot shift to R now. So the SMG aka SSG master kindly help him.

lol ... misinformation will not help anyone and will cause further confusion. It's just setting the record straight :top: Plus i believe paul is getting on top things now. it's just a case of plugging a GT1 or diagnostic tool into the OBD II and hopefully he'll get back to us with his findings :D

Good stuff you guys :)

This is all the technical data I've been looking for. I will look around Miri for a workshop with a GT1 diagnostic tool but in the mean I'll have to sit out the CNY holiday period with no reverse and then on Thursday take the car thru to Brunei for a check. Lucky I have another car to use in the mean time so not stuck without wheels.

Will definitely get back to this forum with the results of the diagnosis.

Dear Paul

Part no for our SMG/SSG gearbox is 23017507037

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN52&mospid=47620&btnr=23_0906&hg=23&fg=05

Based from the information, which I gather from mechanic in AB. The gearbox is design by MM & BMW. (it’s a joint effort btw this 2 expertise) and BMW don’t reveal who is the manufacture of the gearbox.

Dear B33mEr

The word RMFD meaning Remanufactured (even to the new unit of the gearbox). Kindly help me to find out why RMFD. Thank you.

DSG is gearbox system using by current VW Golf Gti.

Good luck.

YellowMellow;393043 said:
Dear Paul

Part no for our SMG/SSG gearbox is 23017507037

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN52&mospid=47620&btnr=23_0906&hg=23&fg=05

Based from the information, which I gather from mechanic in AB. The gearbox is design by MM & BMW. (it’s a joint effort btw this 2 expertise) and BMW don’t reveal who is the manufacture of the gearbox.

Dear B33mEr

The word RMFD meaning Remanufactured (even to the new unit of the gearbox). Kindly help me to find out why RMFD. Thank you.

DSG is gearbox system using by current VW Golf Gti.

Good luck.

Dear Yellowmellow, if you read the headings on the page on the link that you provided which is E46 330Ci MANUAL TRANSMISSION GS5S31BZ (SMG) it clearly states the manufacturer of the gearbox which is ZF ... just like our 7 digits VIN number those gearbox serial number have a meaning of which there is a table listing out the meaning each of the digit and letters. Please re-read the previous post above and slowly digest it's content for your benefit. And you have been mis-informed by the mechanics at AB ... i suggest you change to Sapura or Ingress for your next bimmer service :D

Magnetti Marelli design the AMT system NOT the gearbox :D

As for RMFD ... where did you find this info? cos i don't see any RFMD on the page you provided.

B33mEr;393062 said:
RMFD is not remanufactured lol seems like some sort of electronics telemetry control thingy

Anyways ... have a gander at this :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...emQQimsxZ20090125?IMSfp=TL0901250710008r13397

No. Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes i FOR VEHICLES WITH
SEQUENTIAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION (SMG)
S206A=YES 01RMFD-5 SPEED SEQUENTIAL GEARBOXGS5S31BZ - THIA103/20032301750703702HEAT SHIELD103/200323017507019ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH--HEX NUT WITH PLATEBM6203/200307129900299$0.5003HEX NUT WITH PLATEBM6203/200307129900299$0.5004CLAMP103/20032301750704305CLAMP103/200323017507042

I bold the RMFD.. even in my receipt form AB also have this RMFD before the part no..

If that is the case then you're right about the meaning of RMFD :D

Definition of Remanufacturing:
The process of restoring used durable products to "new" condition, to be used in their original function, by replacing worn or damaged parts.

How much did you pay for your gearbox bro??? did AB took back your old gearbox???
After searching and looking it seems plausible that BMW RMFD their gearbox after all :eek: thats a new info to me actually lol ... but i'm sure all the gears inside have been tested thru BMW QC checks cos the casing is usually in prefect conditions is just the internals are the fragile parts that needs replacing :D

B33mEr;393067 said:
If that is the case then you're right about the meaning of RMFD :D

Definition of Remanufacturing:
The process of restoring used durable products to "new" condition, to be used in their original function, by replacing worn or damaged parts.

How much did you pay for your gearbox bro??? did AB took back your old gearbox???
After searching and looking it seems plausible that BMW RMFD their gearbox after all :eek: thats a new info to me actually lol ... but i'm sure all the gears inside have been tested thru BMW QC checks cos the casing is usually in prefect conditions is just the internals are the fragile parts that needs replacing :D

It is confirmed by my mechanic at AB. It's 'Remanufacturing' which done in Germany. I got 50% goodwill warranty claim from AB. RM26K and i pay RM13K plus ECU RM4.7K. With 2 years unlimited mileage warranty for the Gearbox and ECU.

I was informed today for non RMFD SMG gearbox is RM40K++ :eek:

RM40,000 for a new gearbox? That's an insane price to pay! I guess the DSG unit would be an extremely expensive option then if it ever becomes available as a replacement gearbox for our Bimmers.

Anyhow, to follow up with my own SSG no reverse problem: I guess I'm a bit lucky this time as BMW in Brunei found that the gear selector on my 325i was not contacting properly when moving the lever into reverse and the fluid was also low. There is no visible fluid leaks around the gearbox but they topped up 1 litre and repaired the selector mechanism. Cost BND250. The car is going great now.

Thanks for all the input you guys have provided :top:

hi guys,

its an old thread but very informative fr me as im a new comer to smg.

trying to learn as much.. since i got it, about a month ago, never did any work on the gb.

most of my doubts for a month has been confirmed its normal after reading up here and also the smg threads at udmowners .. both very informative !

ok, now it feels lag and jerky on c mode, exactly what most experienced. what should i ask for? software upgrade or adaptive upgrade or both?

i also want to change the gb oil... ? Looking for reliable long term mechanic familiar wt smg, i prefer to stick to one ...

which will b the recomended mech now? i have not choosed my workshop yet...

sorry, still a little confused trying to digest too much at once.. i never really research too much about smg before purchase altho i knew the infamous issue's.. sorry its just me, tested it liked it bought it..

thanks

Gearbox oil: There's two option - BMW MTF LT-2 (Part Number: 83220309031) or Redline's MTL
Currently am on MTF LT-2 but will be using redline's MTL when i do change my gb oil in the future.

SMG Hydraulics fluid: Pentosin CHF 11-s

Axle oil: Am using Redline's gear oil 75W-90

Software upgrade can be done at M-Speed but i'm not sure if it has the latest SMG software too. I did mine at Sapura (dealer's cost)

Wah... ther you come my friend to my rescue!!

Excellent... on the oil info!!I read the BMW MTF alone cost about rm800, missed the Hydraulic oil :eek:

i assume Mspeed has all this.. Sapura dah tutup kan?

i will call Mspeed to check on the latest software... errr, which one ah? any codes or version i should mention?

need a clever ;) mechanic to maintain my car and some costing guide's ...

anyway thanks again... i told you, im gonna bug ur life for a few months... hehe but sure beer and makan makan on me k!!

sachseelan;570747 said:
Wah... ther you come my friend to my rescue!!

Excellent... on the oil info!!I read the BMW MTF alone cost about rm800, missed the Hydraulic oil :eek:

i assume Mspeed has all this.. Sapura dah tutup kan?

i will call Mspeed to check on the latest software... errr, which one ah? any codes or version i should mention?

need a clever ;) mechanic to maintain my car and some costing guide's ...

anyway thanks again... i told you, im gonna bug ur life for a few months... hehe but sure beer and makan makan on me k!!

Hehe ... no worries bro we're here to help each other out but the beer part sure sounds very tempting hehehehe :D

For the software Ah-Meng will know, he has a GT1 and he will know what version you have by just plugging in via the OBD II port. When i did mine at Sapura (it was two years ago) it cost about RM600 to update the DME and SMG software.

As for mechanics APD of glenmarie is a good bet ... Slightly more expensive but you get your money worth as a friend who has an SMG too service his ride there.
Will pm you some info on the alternative mech who is a friend of mine, he's a former CCLC member too ;)

B33mEr;570854 said:
Hehe ... no worries bro we're here to help each other out but the beer part sure sounds very tempting hehehehe :D

For the software Ah-Meng will know, he has a GT1 and he will know what version you have by just plugging in via the OBD II port. When i did mine at Sapura (it was two years ago) it cost about RM600 to update the DME and SMG software.

As for mechanics APD of glenmarie is a good bet ...Slightly more expensive but you get your moneyworth as a friend who has an SMG too service his ride there.
Will pm you some info on the alternative mech who is a friend of mine, he's a former CCLC member too ;)

Nice .... i will be heading over first to ahmeng sometime next week to update the DME & SMG. will also get the oil and gb checked.

APD, sure thing.. even fr my e36, my mech's charges are quite on the high side, but i was happy with his work and service. the car served me well with no major issues or breakdown for the last six years. sadly i've never seen him fix any SMG's.. so im a little hesitant to send my car there.. and yes, pls keep me posted on the alternatives. aiks CCLC?!?! ha ha who ler?
Thanks again,
cheers

Top Bottom