HELP....cub in ma trunk!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

choq

Official Member
Hi guyspls help me to secure my doughnut tyre in the trunk...is there any special tool available to do the job? if there is, where to get it and how much?at the moment it just like keeping a cub in the trunk while driving from chukai town to kijal...:thumpdown:thankschoq:wavey:

The cavity is not big enough to put the donut in. Where would you put the jack and the accessories? For me, a small compressor and 2 cans of tyre inflator is in the boot and if else fail, call AAM...

badrul880;580651 said:
The cavity is not big enough to put the donut in. Where would you put the jack and the accessories? For me, a small compressor and 2 cans of tyre inflator is in the boot and if else fail, call AAM...

tyre inflator? what type, price & where to get?

small compressor for what?

choq, you have 4 good anchorage points in your boot for luggage straps. Get some straps from a good hardware store like Ace Hardware.

But still messy. The better alternative is to switch back to 3rd gen RFTs. I recently changed to a set of Michelin PS2 ZPs for about RM5k, and can vouch that they're better than my previous more expensive OEM Bridgestone RE050s by a mile. Better grip in the dry and wet, and comfortable like non-RFTs. Superb tires :top:

Schwepps;581227 said:
...The better alternative is to switch back to 3rd gen RFTs. I recently changed to a set of Michelin PS2 ZPs for about RM5k, and can vouch that they're better than my previous more expensive OEM Bridgestone RE050s by a mile. Better grip in the dry and wet, and comfortable like non-RFTs. Superb tires :top:

Not sure whether mine is 2nd or 3rd gen RFT's, its stock 2010 Bridgestone RE050 Made in Poland (as is, came with the car). It seems to be quite comfortable and grippy. Have not made apple to apple coparison with Michelin PS2 though...

Yours must be 3rd gen. Mine were 2nd gen - although a 2008 car, they gave me 2006 tires! But they lasted well: 40k and 2 1/2 years. I can say the PS2 ZPs are definitely better all round though.

Schwepps;581313 said:
Yours must be 3rd gen. Mine were 2nd gen - although a 2008 car, they gave me 2006 tires! But they lasted well: 40k and 2 1/2 years. I can say the PS2 ZPs are definitely better all round though.

Hmm, that explains. I am quite satisfied with my stock 3rd gen RFT's. Hopefully it can last as long as yours for the next 2 or 2.5yrs averaging around 40k kms...thats pretty good figures for 18" 35 and 40 series tyres. You must be a very prudent and careful driver to be able to withstand those 2.5yrs of harsh Malaysian roads. Good stuff:top:.

I'll definitely try the PS2's when the time comes....thanks :rock:

Actually my RE050s could have lasted another 5k, but they were into their 5th year already and it's said that tires older than 5 years should be scrapped. My driving is mostly highway, and I balance/align every 3 months. But even better than the tire wear, I visually checked my brake pads when changing the tires. My fronts have 75% left and rears 60%...at 41,000 km! Got to find some way to wear them down before my BSRI ends in April 2011. :D

badrul880;580651 said:

Thanks for the advice bro bad..

goshhhh.. i got both, donut tyre and bmw mobility kit in ma trunk since i opted for a normal tyre. why? just to hv a piece of mind while going back to sg petani via grik where there is no mobile signal up there.... i can cope with the space taken out by the donut tyre but the "bumping" sound while travelling especially on the bumping road is :eek:

going back to RTF ....another good (last) option. however, i remembered one picture posted in the forum showing the flat iron (?) used to fastern the donut tyre in the trunk:top:

thanks.

choq@PAKA

Schwepps;581371 said:
Actually my RE050s could have lasted another 5k, but they were into their 5th year already and it's said that tires older than 5 years should be scrapped. My driving is mostly highway, and I balance/align every 3 months. But even better than the tire wear, I visually checked my brake pads when changing the tires. My fronts have 75% left and rears 60%...at 41,000 km! Got to find some way to wear them down before my BSRI ends in April 2011. :D

Yes, absolutely right, better safe than sorry. 5yrs lifespan is the max for tyres, any older and the integrity is compromised, period. 75% and 60% is still good for a 2.5yr old car, you may want to hit the SIC track with e60fanster, he can help you to wear them down significantly fast....maybe do that in Q1 next year just prior to your BSRI expiry date...but then, your tyres will wear significantly too....

Top Bottom