Hazy / Cloudy E39 Front Lamp Covers

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pink

Club Guest
Dudes,I am faced with this problem....I have front lamps that are hazy and cloudy i have tried the remedy of polishing it myself with metalpolish. Yup... MetalPolish. It seems to work for a while and then.... poof... after 2 weeks back to same condition.Is there a remedy to this? Another polishing technique? Another chemical?I heard that there are professional lamp polishers in Sunway. Anyone tried? Don't ask me to change the whole lamp..... Someone quoted me RM1200 a pop for those.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have tried spray type rim cleaner on my Perdana headlights, should be the same polycarbonate material.

The moment you spray, its shocking to see the liquid that drools off is in brownish shitty color. Those are all the dirt the lens picked up and normal detergent are unable to wash them off during car wash. Let it soak for a couple of minute to let the cleaner work its way through, u may use your finger to gently rub it.

Then rinse with water and you will now notice your lens appear hazy. Use Soft99 to polish it a little. Voila! as good as new!

Rain-X also I tried before but the rim cleaner is so far best DIY method.

The paid service is not cheap, if not mistaken, RM120/pc. They first sand the lens with 300 grain sand paper, then 800 grain sand paper, then they use orbital to polish using polishing compound. Then to complete the job, they spray a layer of clear lacquer over the lens for better protection. That's why its expensive!

For me all those polishing method is just temporary. Headlamp same like paint deteriorate over time. Maybe u can just change the front cover?? Not sure bout E39 but I've changed my E36 front glass. I've change my E39 to aftermarket wt CCFL. I still got the ori HELLA facelift headlamp. The front lamp cover still ok as the previous owner just changed. If u interested can sell to u cheap2 hehehe.

dont use metal polish for the lens, those will dry up the lens further. use the Meguire plastic polish to do the job.

If your lights are the old style non angel eyes lights, you may replace them as the lens are detachable from the case. for the hella angel eyes lights, too bad you cant even open them. technically you can, but its hell of a lot of effort. the only option for you would be to do the following:-

you may send the lights to any automotive spray painter, they can polish the the lens to a very good condition if the lens is not in very bad state, any superficial scratches or haze can be polished off with a good polishing compound they have. spray a clear coat over the lens and it should be good for another few years. the clear coat will prevent any further scatches and UV damage to the plastic layer. DONT be CHEAP and used those spray bottle clear paint. those are not UV proof.

there is a few guys in sunway and kayu ara that is known to do this. charges will be around rm60 per light.

here is a good tip.... just send your car to the painter for a full body polishing and compounding, most used car dealer use their service as a cheap auto detailing to freshen up old cars. the standard rate should be around rm200 for the service. just ask them to polish all the lights, front and back in situ, its normally a no charged if you buddy up with the guy doing it. then for a small 20bucks top-up or nothing at all, just ask the guy to clear coat the lens as well.

Thanks Dudes....

My lamps are the facelifted hella type (errr......... I'm still a newbie in this. But I saw the hella logo on the lamp covers) I think.

Hmm...........
They actually sandpaper those things? And then spray a clear layer of laquer huh?

Can anyone name the auto detail shop that those 2nd hand car dealers send to. I need to send it there also. Maybe after CNY. Just got the car for like 2 weeks. Have not even fully explored the whole car yet.

I had the same experience ...

.... my solution is sent to BM Wong and done by him. I am is genuie-pig since he vfound a new chemical to solve this .... and its works, the cover shine again. He also selling the stuff for DIY,
Another thing is, he can solve if you head-lamp 'kaki patah' ie. cannot adjust the height of the lamp. He has the parts for it.

I am not campaigning for this guy ........ I am only sharing my experince.

Bro Yazid

how much is BMWWong selling the chemical...
would this work for other plastics covers on other cars head lamps too like Kia Karnival, for instance?

planta

planta;290363 said:
Bro Yazid

how much is BMWWong selling the chemical...
would this work for other plastics covers on other cars head lamps too like Kia Karnival, for instance?

planta

Bro, wa tak berani cakap pasal kereta lain, coz never tried before.

i think if the material is the same, it doesn't matter which brand of car.....

Top Bottom