Good shop in KL for engine swap - e46 318Ci

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

johnd

Hi there Folks,

First post on here, but you guys have got a great forum on here with lots of useful info.

I have had a look through the forum but not had much luck in regards to finding a mechanic/shop who has experience in doing the engine swap (and all other required parts) for the conversion.

I have an E46 Ci with the earlier 318 engine in it and as everyone knows, its woefully under powered. Have looked into and can see that its relatively straight forward to do a Engine swap up to 2.5 engine and i've also found a couple of potential options for half cut buys, but now just need to find a reliable mechanic to do the conversion who's done them previously.

Has anyone here done this before and what shop/mechanic (around KL ideally) did you use to do it?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers

John

johnd said:
Hi there Folks,

First post on here, but you guys have got a great forum on here with lots of useful info.

I have had a look through the forum but not had much luck in regards to finding a mechanic/shop who has experience in doing the engine swap (and all other required parts) for the conversion.

I have an E46 Ci with the earlier 318 engine in it and as everyone knows, its woefully under powered. Have looked into and can see that its relatively straight forward to do a Engine swap up to 2.5 engine and i've also found a couple of potential options for half cut buys, but now just need to find a reliable mechanic to do the conversion who's done them previously.

Has anyone here done this before and what shop/mechanic (around KL ideally) did you use to do it?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers

John
How much is the costs associated with a engine/halfcut swap?

Hi Wingzee,

Nope, just trying to find out if anyone has done this swap in KL and could recommend a good experienced and reliable garage/mechanic to do the actual work itself?

johnd said:
Hi Wingzee,

Nope, just trying to find out if anyone has done this swap in KL and could recommend a good experienced and reliable garage/mechanic to do the actual work itself?
You may check with Ah Lai of PKL Motorsports Kuchai Lama (beside BHP). 017-540 8628

Thanks for that, will check these guys out, did you get a conversion done with them yourself?

What kind of cost do they charge if you bring them the donor car?

johnd said:
Thanks for that, will check these guys out, did you get a conversion done with them yourself?

What kind of cost do they charge if you bring them the donor car?
No idea mate. But these guys are good at what they are doing.

By now, you would have know that a conversion as you mentioned is not a simple one as it requires you to change almost everything.

Most of the shop would prefer to provide the half cut/parts themselves, due to the fact you can claim 'warranty' from them from any issues risen from the conversion. I went around a few shops for a straight swap (same capacity engine) but was met with a polite 'no'. reason being they do not want to be held responsible if the conversion is a failure. A risk to them when the engine fails and the customer starts blaming them.

I swapped mine at a mech in Shah Alam. That is after i convinced him that it was a matter of taking down the old engine and replace that with the new engine. All risk on me, only the he agreed.

all the best bro!

Top Bottom