gearbox variants

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chrix

Club Guest
Tried searching but could not find the info I was looking for.Still on the search for an e36, given up on magically finding a manual unit.My question is, did the 325 ever come with a 5speed auto gearbox? I know the 328 does. Also, why does some auto have different style shifters? (T shapes & regular knobs)PS; Since I'd probably be converting to a manual, what would be cost be like? (I understand gearbox alone would be 4-5k)

IIRC, ZF and Jatco both has 5 speeder autobox for the E36..
The thing about manual conversion is getting the whole set - gearbox, pedals, long shaft, matching rear diff ratio. I bought an E36 manual gearbox for

Thanks for the clarification guys.

What would the fuel consumption for a 325/328 auto be like?, I'd kick myself if it has an insane appetite for fuel. But if the return is immense power, that could offset it. =P

fabianyee - you mean its difficult to find the whole set of gb/pedals/long shaft/diff? That kinda sucks =/

any 325's to recommend? =D

It's not THAT hard to find a manual gearbox IMO. Just needs some patience and resourcefulness. If all else fails you can always buy everything brand new except for the gearbox. Most of the parts from my conversion were new except for the flywheel, clutch, shifter, shifter carrier (think that's what it's called) and of course the gearbox.

Fuel consumption wise I'm getting about 450-480km for roughly 55+- litres of petrol. This is a mix of highway and city but predominantly highways. I usually pump full and I always try to pump right when the needle reaches the last quarter if possible. Back when I was on auto setup I was getting around 400km for a full tank or less, never more.

Appetite for fuel is seriously dependent on how heavy your right foot is. Both the 325 and the 328 is pretty economical provided you don't unleash the power one too many times. IMHO for the amount of enjoyment you get out of these machines, it's well worth the money spent for roadtax and petrol.

cheers.

loafer;561203 said:
IMHO for the amount of enjoyment you get out of these machines, it's well worth the money spent for roadtax and petrol.

cheers.

hell yeah thats what I'm thinking. My previous ride was both powerful & economical.. and I love hearing it scream till the readline.

Loafer from Ampang?, which part..maybe can be my sifu:4:

Chrix;562610 said:
hell yeah thats what I'm thinking. My previous ride was both powerful & economical.. and I love hearing it scream till the readline.

Loafer from Ampang?, which part..maybe can be my sifu:4:

I'm no sifu la. Just know a bit here and there enough to understand some stuff but not all. There are others here that you can really really call sifu :) You'll meet them all in due time.

I live in Tmn Cempaka. Where abouts are you?

Consider an E36 325/328 with a 4speed autobox, will the fuel consumption be terrible? compared to if its a 5speed.

loafer;562647 said:
I'm no sifu la. Just know a bit here and there enough to understand some stuff but not all. There are others here that you can really really call sifu :) You'll meet them all in due time.

I live in Tmn Cempaka. Where abouts are you?

Tmn Kosas..

Chrix;568917 said:
Consider an E36 325/328 with a 4speed autobox, will the fuel consumption be terrible? compared to if its a 5speed.

Tmn Kosas..

That's pretty near la...just about 5mins plus drive provided it's not jammed :p

Haha..yea. Ampang is always jammed la.

Hows the fuel consumption of a 318 auto? is it a fuel guzzler compared to the 325 which has better power to weight ratio?

Chrix;569340 said:

Hows the fuel consumption of a 318 auto? is it a fuel guzzler compared to the 325 which has better power to weight ratio?

Honestly I have no idea. My 328 was auto about 3 years back and I was getting around 350-380 per full tank with a mixture of city and highway driving. It improved a little to around 400 after I changed my O2 sensors. With manual I'm getting around 450km per full tank right now sometimes more if I drive on the highway a lot.

Chrix;569340 said:

fuel consumption on a 318 auto and 325 manual is about the same if ya driving it around 110kmh , but when you floor it hard then you may see a little difference on the 325 ...been there with a 318 auto and converted to a 325 manual sometime back ....

kayzhen911;569605 said:
juz get an E36 325 manual la...
solve all ur problems

those arent exactly easy to come by..especially when considering other aspects like age/color/number of owners/reg plate...ofcourse if I found a genuine 352(m) i'd jump at it right away.

ICEMAN 13;569609 said:
fuel consumption on a 318 auto and 325 manual is about the same if ya driving it around 110kmh , but when you floor it hard then you may see a little difference on the 325 ...been there with a 318 auto and converted to a 325 manual sometime back ....

the legendary iceman. Thats my long term plan, to get a excellent lovingly cared condition 318 & take my time to convert it to a MANual. You know what they say, ya cant spell manual without MAN. ha..

Still dreamin of an UDM..

aiya... there is a good condition one.. car just painted ori 325i e36 manual..

PM Fireblade... it's his..just the price for a pristine condition..

Top Bottom