GB lever switch 'kaput'

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hammer1911

Club Guest
Dear sifus3 weeks ago my e46 4 pot had problem with the GB.The car can't move as usual n the meter showed nothing when the gear engaged either D,P or N . I have to 'tekan' the pedal a bit only then the car can move but in limp mode ie 3rd gear and at the same time the gearlights indicator popped up.Sent to the mech and the mech said maybe the solenoid. It was taken out and he changed the solenoid but the situation never changed. Later he diagnosed and came out with the gear lever switch problem.Waiting for a new one will take about 1 month since he has to order it from Germany(that's what he told me) and maybe cost around RM 1,600 (OMG...)He said the switch very rare 'kaput' in BMW GB so very hard to get one from chop shop and so my ride was lying there in his wshop for nearly 20 days.2 days ago,he got one from the halfcut with the same model like mine and replace the 'kaput' lever switch.I took my car out yesterday and 'henjut' on the hiway just to make sure it works.So far so good and he charged me RM 800 plus the labor.Just want to share and asking the sifus:1.Is it worth paying him that amount since it was only 'secondhand'?2.What other things to check about the GB since my car already 10 years old3.I changed the ATF twice (yearly) since I got the car in 2008. Is it ok?Thanking the sifus in advance.

Hammer 1911,

Try this!

Engage your car into D mode and stay idle for a while (maybe 2 or 3 minutes). Of course your leg has to be on the brakes. See if the car goes back into limp mode. If it doesn't then I guess that your mechanic has solved your problem.

If the problem is solved (for me) I'd just pay him the RM 800. Remember the cost could have been more. We're talking about GB problems here.

hammer1911;477497 said:
Dear sifus
3 weeks ago my e46 4 pot had problem with the GB.The car can't move as usual n the meter showed nothing when the gear engaged either D,P or N . I have to 'tekan' the pedal a bit only then the car can move but in limp mode ie 3rd gear and at the same time the gearlights indicator popped up.Sent to the mech and the mech said maybe the solenoid. It was taken out and he changed the solenoid but the situation never changed. Later he diagnosed and came out with the gear lever switch problem.Waiting for a new one will take about 1 month since he has to order it from Germany(that's what he told me) and maybe cost around RM 1,600 (OMG...)He said the switch very rare 'kaput' in BMW GB so very hard to get one from chop shop and so my ride was lying there in his wshop for nearly 20 days.2 days ago,he got one from the halfcut with the same model like mine and replace the 'kaput' lever switch.I took my car out yesterday and 'henjut' on the hiway just to make sure it works.So far so good and he charged me RM 800 plus the labor.Just want to share and asking the sifus:
1.Is it worth paying him that amount since it was only 'secondhand'?
2.What other things to check about the GB since my car already 10 years old
3.I changed the ATF twice (yearly) since I got the car in 2008. Is it ok?

Thanking the sifus in advance.

taggnas;477713 said:
Hammer 1911,

Try this!

Engage your car into D mode and stay idle for a while (maybe 2 or 3 minutes). Of course your leg has to be on the brakes. See if the car goes back into limp mode. If it doesn't then I guess that your mechanic has solved your problem.

If the problem is solved (for me) I'd just pay him the RM 800. Remember the cost could have been more. We're talking about GB problems here.

Bro Taggnas,

I did like what u said and D mode stays .So far so good and like u said the mech has done a good job and he will be paid tomorrow.
Thanks again bro.

hammer1911;477747 said:
Bro Taggnas,

I did like what u said and D mode stays .So far so good and like u said the mech has done a good job and he will be paid tomorrow.
Thanks again bro.

Do you have a picture of what he changed. There seems to be a lot of complaint about e46 GB recently. Need to know more about it.

jarance;478284 said:
Do you have a picture of what he changed. There seems to be a lot of complaint about e46 GB recently. Need to know more about it.

Mr Jarance,

Here's the picture of the 'kaput' gear lever switch taken out from my car GB.
Cheers and thanx bro

Top Bottom