fuel gauge shows empty

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

blackrobe

Official Member
G'd day guys...need any of u sifus to diagnose my baby's first distress.Was driving a few hours back and as it was raining, drove thru a puddle which hid the 'Black Hole of Culcutta'. Heard a heart wrenching 'thunk' in the rear as my rims hit the pothole. :eek: Couple of hours later when i started the car, the fuel gauge showed empty with the warning light. Checked for possible tank rupture but there was none and drove 25km thereafter. Light still lit and indicator still below empty.Any diagnosis on the probabiities of this? Need ur wisdom here...Thx guys...

Quick, remove the back seat and remove the cover on the left and right to inspect whether the connector have come off or not.

There would be fuel hoses as well. Make sure that the are tight and no sign of leak or smell.

If no sign of fuel leak . Off the engine and Try remove the fuse and put back again.
sometimes it is sensor thing. I face similar problem with checking the fuse and it works.

Good Luck

Bro... maybe the connection to the float was disconnected when u hit the pothole ...

Try what jaran said ... should work ... must be some loose connection.

ehheeh or u can start using the gauge as E= Enough / F= Finish ....

eheheheheh

cheers :D

Sounds like what I experienced a couple of months ago.
In my case, I removed the float/pump assembly from under the seat/above the tank. Then checked the wires. From the 4 wires, you might find one that is broken.
Instead of replacing the whole unit, I reconnected the wire by pulling out the connector pin from behind, split it with a fine saw, removed the old wires in it, then crimp the broken-off wire back(after stripping) & put the pin back. Make sure there's no chance of sparking, like doing some soldering.

I posted a thread on this subject under the 3 series title.
Apparently, this is not uncommon.

I hope I'd manage to shed some light.

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by ccl68@May 25 2005, 09:55 PM
Sounds like what I experienced a couple of months ago.
In my case, I removed the float/pump assembly from under the seat/above the tank. Then checked the wires. From the 4 wires, you might find one that is broken.
Instead of replacing the whole unit, I reconnected the wire by pulling out the connector pin from behind, split it with a fine saw, removed the old wires in it, then crimp the broken-off wire back(after stripping) & put the pin back. Make sure there's no chance of sparking, like doing some soldering.

I posted a thread on this subject under the 3 series title.
Apparently, this is not uncommon.

I hope I'd manage to shed some light.

Cheers ;)
I would recommend that you solder instead of recrimping. Most of the cable lug is design for one time crimping with proper tool. Your wire might not be tight if you recrimped it again.

blackrob, were you the one that sithwarrior that says that you spend Rm5 for maintenance.. How come? It almost impossible unless the car is just one month old. How long did you have your car so far? Does your maintenance also included oild change, filters (air and oil) and sparks plug..

Let me know if you are interested for me to look at it. (but you have to come down to klang). BTW, don't come with full tank coz the petrol will spill out when the fuel pump and level sensor is removed.

yup that's me jarance...yea, so far only spent RM5 on fuse replacement...thats all. Got my car in January 2005, yet to do my first service, coz i dun drive that much nowdays since i werk from home.

Yup will try n arrange with u asap to see u in klang..maybe coming sunday..will call u b4 that to confirm.

Ta...

Originally posted by zackertashia@May 30 2005, 06:48 AM
uncle jaran aa,can arrange wit me oso aar? :nyehehe:
can come also but I am not familiar with level sensor. So no promise that I can solve your problem.

Actually when are the light will light up?. Is it when the dial just past the E marker or is it on top of the red light. My empty light never light up. Been trying but afraid stranded without fuel, malu mar. (cause I don't know is it working or not, the light). Thanks for any info.

Hi All,

My E30 since last week the fuel meter is not acculate even i full top up the tank, can see the meter still have a bit of gap to the F maker.

Is the fuel pump can service? I think maybe is the fuel pump dirty or jam become this problem right? sifu pls. advice.

Thanks.

Originally posted by cntan@Jun 6 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi All,

My E30 since last week the fuel meter is not acculate even i full top up the tank, can see the meter still have a bit of gap to the F maker.

Is the fuel pump can service? I think maybe is the fuel pump dirty or jam become this problem right? sifu pls. advice.

Thanks.
Seems we hav same problem :dunno:

Originally posted by cntan@Jun 6 2005, 10:53 AM
Hi All,

Thanks.
No lah, the needle is dislocated. All you have to do is fill to full tank. then open the meter and push the needle to indicate full.
ps.. have a spare can of petrol in your car just in case if the level guage is faulty.. :D

Top Bottom