Fan Clutch Mod

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

initialM

Official Member
Dear Sifu, Would like an advice on the conversion from clutch fan to electric fan on 6 pots engine (M52). Cost bout RM7xx. Is it worth? Any prob or side effect? Thanks

initialM;347209 said:
Dear Sifu,

Would like an advice on the conversion from clutch fan to electric fan on 6 pots engine (M52). Cost bout RM7xx. Is it worth? Any prob or side effect?

Thanks

Hi bro, if im not mistaken ur havin a 328 like me. I just replaced my 11 year old fan clutch(BEHR) for RM395. I was just wondering if you would care to explain the difference between this and the electric fan...why some changed to this fan? thx bro.. sach

No prob at all. My friend had it change on his w123 and he said it feels so much lighter. Make sure you use quality component.

Here's a DIY write up.

http://www.understeer.com/fanclutchmod.shtml

The mod is claimed to free up parasitic drag on the engine. Some people still argue that by removing the fan clutch (which is driven by your engine) helps gain some lost power, but by adding an eletrical fan you are effectively making the alternator work harder. My knowledge of the inner workings of an engine is still pretty limited so I can't be 100% sure if it's true but it has been proven that by doing the fan clutch delete mod you'll gain some lost power.

Also another reason people remove this is due to the fact that the OEM fan becomes brittle as it ages and can sometimes break apart during high speed.

The fan clutch mod is more justified in colder climates. In Malaysia, a replacement electric fan will automatically be ON most of the time anyway, hence loading the alternator.

Although the regular fan can get old and brittle, the REAL reason they shatter is because of old/worn engine mounts. The regular clutch fan is directly attached to the front of the engine, so if the engine sways too much the fan catches on the rad or rad cover and shatters, taking out the radiator with it (high velocity splinters will fly everywhere). Will sometimes puncture cooling hoses too. All this is pretty RARE for properly-maintained engines.

On the other hand, if your replacement electric fan fails (more likely than a clutch fan), you'll overheat and get stranded, possibly ruining your engine. Most of the time, when this fails you won't know till it already overheats (too late).

Overall, nice mod, but higher risk for not much gain.

Used to have this mod done on my old 318i e36 (done by previous owner). 2 times I had overheating problems on my car while being stuck in traffic jam. Once engine overheated and caused the hose to burst because the fan motor died. Another time the fan supply connection point in the fuse box (modded job) melted due to over-use of the fan (always running). It was using a volve 940 fan motor. Luckily the engine didn't blow a gasket or something, and that's part of the reason I always loved the e36. If you ask me, not worth the hassle or the risk, especially on a 6 potter for a few measly HP.

Top Bottom