F30 320d a good choice for me to switch from Passat CC?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.
dark1234;738399 said:
also remember BMW is SKD , Passat is CBU. so local 2nd hand buyer will prefer CBU over SKD. and Passat over 5 years warranty .

all this is buy car using head. using heart even my passat cc sport buddy tested my f10, regretted ever since why he did not get bmw.

Hehe, i almost bought CC last year... but ended up with f10 due to multiple factors la...

Pls be aware that, if my source is correct, the facelifted CC (the one with LED DRL) with 1.8T will be coming to malaysia soon maybe Q4 this year...

tIANcI;738424 said:
I thought they just released the new facelift? Was recent.

Hehe, that is just an update of the interior(2012), not really facelift... The latest has some update on the exterior, and it is already available in US...

320d is having a proven engine that was launched with the E90 with loads of torque and very fuel efficient. Passat CC comes with the 2.0T that is known to consume engine oil (if you are one of the unlucky owners). Gearbox is 6-speed which may be problematic. Build quality is superb for the Passat CC. To me the F30 interior feels boring. Passat cc have a bigger boot space compared to the F30. Passat cc have proven to be holding their 2nd hand value. F30 is still new. Can't say too much. My opinion, just test drive both cars, play around with the gadgets in the car, feel all the plastics and leather in it, see what you like and go ahead with it. Buying a car is always an emotional decision. Good luck!

Ask your SAs to let you take both cars oin an extended drive up Genting and back-then you will know the cars better. Did that with the MX5, didn't buy it after that! The 320d is a other-car-liking-killer. After you get used to driving it, very hard to find an equal or more superior car. And astroboy is right, sedans are more practical. And the 3 series is so chuckable round corners...you dont miss anything by having 2 doors/2 seats more.

I had a chance to drive my singapore friend's A5 sportback 2.0T Q... i thought i was sold on that 2.0T engine... but when i tested 320d/520d, wow the torque is so usable for town usage... if u are not looking for hp, for wife usage, 320d is more then enough... It has enough torque to go around the town, much better fuel efficiency (so ur wife not need to keep on visiting the petrol station, which i believes most of the women hate to do)...

However, even though 320d has less hp, doesn't mean that u will be smoked by the 2.0T engine... esp if u add on powerkit later, hehe, poison, poison... better still powerkit + tuning box....

Ade;738480 said:
Buying a car is always an emotional decision. Good luck!

Emotional is so right! Feel the torque! All 380Nm of it! All from a 2.0L only....

willie;738585 said:
I had a chance to drive my singapore friend's A5 sportback 2.0T Q... i thought i was sold on that 2.0T engine... but when i tested 320d/520d, wow the torque is so usable for town usage... if u are not looking for hp, for wife usage, 320d is more then enough... It has enough torque to go around the town, much better fuel efficiency (so ur wife not need to keep on visiting the petrol station, which i believes most of the women hate to do)...

However, even though 320d has less hp, doesn't mean that u will be smoked by the 2.0T engine... esp if u add on powerkit later, hehe, poison, poison... better still powerkit + tuning box....

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've always been wondering, what is torque actually ? If a car has lower hp but higher torque what does that mean ? It can go faster at lower RPMs is it ?

Simple as torque pull the car. Horsepower pushes the car.

Will arrange test drive this weekend. But aim at 328i instead. 320d spec really too low for its price tag....

Quentin;738691 said:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've always been wondering, what is torque actually ? If a car has lower hp but higher torque what does that mean ? It can go faster at lower RPMs is it ?

car with high torque means you , speed up fast from traffic light and can carry more stuff ( diesel have this )
car with high HP , you can attain higher speed ( 200 km/h )

so car with 300hp with 100 torque will reach 250 km/h but take ages to reach there but car with 150hp but 300 torque , means you reach 150 in no time.

for city driving its better to have high torque, i come from in-line 6 high HP car , even i was sold on the torque, its SOO much accessible and usable. the petrol high HP is only accessible when i am in highway.

as i do city driving more thats why i go with high torque . make the car lovely.

if you do not mind wait. since i think all CBU already out , wait for SKD version in 45 day should be out maybe , that should be better spec.

jan999;738699 said:
Simple as torque pull the car. Horsepower pushes the car.

Will arrange test drive this weekend. But aim at 328i instead. 320d spec really too low for its price tag....

test it HARD on sport mode !!!

dark1234;738701 said:
car with high torque means you , speed up fast from traffic light and can carry more stuff ( diesel have this )
car with high HP , you can attain higher speed ( 200 km/h )

so car with 300hp with 100 torque will reach 250 km/h but take ages to reach there but car with 150hp but 300 torque , means you reach 150 in no time.

for city driving its better to have high torque, i come from in-line 6 high HP car , even i was sold on the torque, its SOO much accessible and usable. the petrol high HP is only accessible when i am in highway.

as i do city driving more thats why i go with high torque . make the car lovely.

if you do not mind wait. since i think all CBU already out , wait for SKD version in 45 day should be out maybe , that should be better spec.

So is it like this;

HP= for top speed
Torque= for acceleration

like that ?

But, the F30 320d has 380Nm of torque right, and F30 328i has only 350Nm, how come the 328i has better acceleration ?
I'm really sorry if this is a silly question :p

Quentin;738733 said:
So is it like this;

HP= for top speed
Torque= for acceleration

like that ?

But, the F30 320d has 380Nm of torque right, and F30 328i has only 350Nm, how come the 328i has better acceleration ?

350Nm and 380Nm is not a lot of difference. Besides, the 328i has more horse power so obviously 328i is more fun to drive. Because of that "more fun to drive" factor, we also end up paying more for it :D

Quentin;738733 said:
So is it like this;

HP= for top speed
Torque= for acceleration

like that ?

f30 328 , 350 Nm at 1,250 RPM , F30 320d 380 Nm at 1,750-2,750 rpm.

HP= Torque/5252 x RPM

You can treat Torque as a constant of a car or imagine the Muscle of the car. While RPM is an engine variable.
HorsePower is to describe how fast you can move a thing from one point to another point. or how much work can be done in a specified time.

Petrol car , lower Torque , higher RPM 8000rpm
Diesel car , high Torque, lower RPM 5000rpm

Both also can achieve a 200hp like this
309.73lb-ft (420NM) Diesel
200hp ~= 309.73lb-ft x 3400rpm /5252 , At a gear ratio

184lb-ft (250NM) Petrol
200hp ~= 184lb-ft x 6500rpm /5252 , At a gear ratio

You can see that the Diesel generates 200hp at 3400rpm whilst Petrol at 6500rpm. So how is the performance? Shall petrol goes faster? you shall see how the transmission work for you. For Petrol car because of lower torque, requires higher final drive ratio to compensate, on the other hand, Diesel car lower rpm range shall compensate with lower final drive ratio, but lucky it has huge torque.

check out this link, you can see the diesel final drive ratio is lower and therefore engine don't need to work as fast as petrol car. (let me know if I am wrong)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101507

Only Torque pushes the car, horsepower describes how fast you can move from A to B.
If you have 200kW (273hp), means you have 200kW to spend in tires friction, aerodynamic losses, engine losses in a given time!
Much like you have RM100,000.00 to spend and you did it in a day....it is really powerful man! Some did it in one year or even 10 years. The Torque is the Money that you have! . Still don't understand, when you purchase the PangSai car, you wrote a cheque RM100,000.00 downpayment, damn siok.

jwah;738904 said:
HP= Torque/5252 x RPM

You can treat Torque as a constant of a car or imagine the Muscle of the car. While RPM is an engine variable.
HorsePower is to describe how fast you can move a thing from one point to another point. or how much work can be done in a specified time.

Petrol car , lower Torque , higher RPM 8000rpm
Diesel car , high Torque, lower RPM 5000rpm

Both also can achieve a 200hp like this
309.73lb-ft (420NM) Diesel
200hp ~= 309.73lb-ft x 3400rpm /5252 , At a gear ratio

184lb-ft (250NM) Petrol
200hp ~= 184lb-ft x 6500rpm /5252 , At a gear ratio

You can see that the Diesel generates 200hp at 3400rpm whilst Petrol at 6500rpm. So how is the performance? Shall petrol goes faster? you shall see how the transmission work for you. For Petrol car because of lower torque, requires higher final drive ratio to compensate, on the other hand, Diesel car lower rpm range shall compensate with lower final drive ratio, but lucky it has huge torque.

check out this link, you can see the diesel final drive ratio is lower and therefore engine don't need to work as fast as petrol car. (let me know if I am wrong)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101507

PhD from Imperial College, London in Advanced Engineering.....how can be wrong?

could be wrong too, if wrong don't shot me lah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom