Enlarging the after market rims hole

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chantahir

Club Guest
Hi sifus,According to mechanic I visited recently my after market rims centre hole is not "centered" properly and caused vibration to steering at certain speed (normally 80-90km in my case). Then he proposed to enlarge about 2mm all round and let the 5 bolts adjust to centre line evently as when you tighten all the 5 bolts. Any comments whether the suggestion will help or not? cheers

better to just use rims intended for your car model. safer. plenty of rims for E46 to choose from.

there is some shops in sunway which has centre kon.. do get the centre kon and try it out

Bro, i don't require the centre cone because my existing rims is fitted nicely to the centre hub with no tollerance except the diameter of the hole is inconsistent to outer diameter of the rims. Hope u understand my explanation as I'm having difficulty to explain in writing on my issue properly....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Chantahir;855654 said:
Bro, i don't require the centre cone because my existing rims is fitted nicely to the centre hub with no tollerance except the diameter of the hole is inconsistent to outer diameter of the rims. Hope u understand my explanation as I'm having difficulty to explain in writing on my issue properly....

Which diameter and which hole are you referring to?

- - - Updated - - -

Chantahir;855654 said:

Which diameter and which hole are you referring to?

bagesybe.jpg

try going to ah kin sunway behind kakimotor. i trust he could help[ with your problem :)

BMWs are hub-centric. By machining the centrebore to make it 2mm larger will make the wheels 'lug-centric'. The centrebore will no longer rest on the wheel hub.
Although you may be able to centre the wheel perfectly (our lugnuts are self centering) do consider that any impact (potholes, bumps etc.) will apply shear force to the lug studs. What makes this more dangerous is that these forces are applied at 90 degrees to what the studs are designed to handle. This can cause the lug studs to bend, or in a more extreme case shear right off.

If your aftermarket wheels are made so cheaply and of such bad quality that the centrebore is manufactured off centre, I suggest you not drive on those wheels at all. It is extremely dangerous to you and other road users. Think of the consequences if you are doing 100km/h on a busy highway when one of your wheels fall off.
Lesson here is to avoid replica wheels, especially if the price is too good to be true. You get what you pay for.

Top Bottom