Engine Oil - evaporation

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cwk_ipoh

Club Guest
I was on my way back to Ipoh when the engine oil light comes on. I have just changed my oil with fully synthetic and there is no leak. After asking my usual workshop, he told me that this could be due to the viscosity of the fully synthetic oil which will evaporate at high engine temperature. The engine was rather smooth all the way and of course I manage to reach home. Is this true and are there other problems?...... :angry: :ph34r: :(

Heard of a similar case happening to Joker's 2.0 valvy in start stop traffic on the plus highway heading to Ipoh. However, I have not faced this issue on the M54.

I live and work in the middle of KL and high heat traffic jam is normal for me. My fuel consumption goes thru the roof but i've not had any oil evaporation since new. I remember new E46 owners mentioning about engine oil disappearing during or after breaking in. But i've never needed any oil top up - ever!

Most of the M52TU and M54 owners had some oil burn in the first 10k kms. Engine was tight, and the hood was always searing hot to the touch. After 7.5-10k kms, the oil burn completely stops and the hood of the car does not feel as hot anymore after the drive.

Btw, what mileage was your first oil change?

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Sep 2 2005, 08:22 PM
Most of the M52TU and M54 owners had some oil burn in the first 10k kms. Engine was tight, and the hood was always searing hot to the touch. After 7.5-10k kms, the oil burn completely stops and the hood of the car does not feel as hot anymore after the drive.

Btw, what mileage was your first oil change?
Don't know as I bought this CBU recon n previously don;t have this problem. Only today realised it when the light comes on

Hi cwk,

My car's on Shell Helix Fully Synthetic. Oil change every 5000km.

I used to drive (enthusiastically) between Ipoh and Mont Kiara twice a week, always above 200km/h throughout the journey. AFAIK, there was no significant oil evaporation on my 97 523i, at least not to the point of the oil warning light coming on.

I check my engine oil(cold check, unstarted, 1st thing in the morning) once a week, and there was no significant drop in oil level.

For reference, 2 cars I owned had oil evaporation tho:

1) DC5 Integra Type R, with Mobil 1. Changed to Redline engine oil and still evaporated. Checked with many Vtec gurus and was told it was normal.

2) Mazda RX7s- I had a few of these and all of them consumes engine oil, as the oil metering pump uses the engine oil to lubricate the apex seals within the rotors. Normal...

Cheers,
Gerald.

Sent the car to the workshop this morning n the mechanic said that the piston rings n the valve seals r the cause. Will open the cylinder head n check what the damage. A bit surprise though that there was no loss of power n maybe like the last post which I have said black exhaust fumes were white. Hopefully the damage is not that great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nyehehe: Btw I am also surprise with the explanation earlier n that's why I post it on the forum...

But your car is so new!!! The E39 525 engines are almost bullet-proof.... Seldom hear of E39s requiring a top-overhaul.

Good luck Cwk, hope the damage to your wallet isn't that bad...

Cheers,
Gerald.

I would wait a while and monitor the oil burn rate from now on before getting the mechanic to open up the engine and tinker with it. Sounds a bit unusual. Also were you using 0W synth oil or 5W synth oil. Based on manual, it should be 5W for the M54, but many folks I know opt for 0W which is thinner maybe due to marketing efforts by oil companies.

Top Bottom