Engine carbon cleaning

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AT-Sixx

Club Guest
Hi guys

My faithful F30 328i is pushing 85,000km already. Some of my buddies are suggesting I do a carbon cleaning procedure for the engine.
From my research it could take like perhaps 1 hour or so to do and it's not too expensive (<RM300).

My noob questions would be:-

1- would there be any potential issues with the F30's turbo system when doing a clean up;
2- is it even worth doing in the first place

Cheerz
AT-Sixx

In my opinion i would not take the risk to pour or put something in our engine area there.

First of all the product is something we are not familiar with, and how reliable the product is. All the information and effectiveness are base on what we heard through the sales person or promoter.

Or maybe we should wait some of the members here can share some different before and after effect.

Cheers

hi bro richbottles (nice nic !)

thanks for sharing your thoughts - the place i was considering has done many cars already (fancy and the more basic models) and the reviews seems fine - but still I would love to hear from the other beemer bros (or sis) here who've done or considered this carbon cleaning angle for optimal performance.

thanks again for sharing - really appreciate it . from the time lapse of my starting post, I'd gather perhaps this carbon cleaning thing is less common than I had thought. admittedly, i was more into messing with engine oil, petrol, air filter, spark plugs etc for optimal (or enhanced) performance

cheerz !

to share.. i did mine sometime back at a place in glenmarie.. oxy-hydrogen carbon cleansing.. the owner loosely calls it "blow-job" lol..
car feels smoother thereafter.. akin cleaner lungs.. come to think of it, time for cleansing again

eric_s said:
to share.. i did mine sometime back at a place in glenmarie.. oxy-hydrogen carbon cleansing.. the owner loosely calls it "blow-job" lol..
car feels smoother thereafter.. akin cleaner lungs.. come to think of it, time for cleansing again
Thanks for sharing this Eric - the places I am researching on also use something like that (with some hydrogen name) - but BJ is most intuitive ! Cheerz

gendong said:
Some of the guys use additives like STP etc. for the same purpose. Some say it works or maybe its just placebo effect. I think there was a thread on this http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/newforums/index.php?/topic/35982-fuel-system-cleaner-what-do-you-use/?hl=additives#entry704268
Thanks for this informative link - appreciate it. Quite a different angle. In my mind, I'd like to see the black come out of the exchaust bcos it's like evidence haha I think post BJ this would be good to implement. Cheerz

Bro At-Sixx,

Please share me your experience after you have done your carbon cleaning, I normally trust users more than promoters.. LOL.

Thanks in advance

richbottles said:
Bro At-Sixx,

Please share me your experience after you have done your carbon cleaning, I normally trust users more than promoters.. LOL.

Thanks in advance
Sure bro - that's my intention anyway. Plan to get it done within next 3-4 wks bcos busy.

cheerz

ok guys here's my update as promised.

I got my ride de carbonised abt 2 weeks back and have been 'testing' it since.

Simply put - I am amazed !

My ride is so so much smoother in every aspect, starting and slow/hard acceleration ! FYI, my ride is at 90,000 km and the de carbonising process is like giving it new lungs - and I feel this improvement about 70% into the coming service ! I couldnt imagine what a difference it would make.

Frankly, it feels better than a post car service feeling.

I got mine done by ClearCarbon.

Anyway guys, you go check out what / where works for you - I'd stick to CC.

Cheerz :smile:

Thanks Sixx. Will keep in mind to do this. Did CC inform what mileage and above this should be done?

F10 CREW said:
Thanks Sixx. Will keep in mind to do this. Did CC inform what mileage and above this should be done?
They did mention but I cant recall it honestly.
I'd personally get my ride done say at intervals about 25-30,000 km from now on (agak x2 only)
Think depends on coupla factors eg petrol used (95 vs 97), driving style and whether long distance or town driving etc

Cheerz

I just did the cleaning yesterday on my E39, 260k mileage. So far the engine felt smoother & lesser vibration, and lesser throttle input required to get my autobox to downshift. Initially after I left the place I can't really feel much difference but I guess after driving through my usually office route definitely there's some positive change in overall driving experience.

Well per session is not enough for my car due to high mileage, I need at least another seasion to really benefit from the carbon cleaning but I think Im happy with current result. I do not want to be removing so much carbon though as it might introduce other problems later. Dave mentioned it's good to do it every 20-30k interval besides normal servicing as it helps to clear/reduce down carbon build up in the combustion chamber.

AT-Sixx,
Kindly share a few details:
- How much did ClearCarbon charge ?
- Is new oil and filter necessary after clearing the engine of carbon ?
Thanks

tckhor said:
AT-Sixx,
Kindly share a few details:
- How much did ClearCarbon charge ?
- Is new oil and filter necessary after clearing the engine of carbon ?
Thanks
Hi Bro

The rates charged are in their website and depends on engine capacity.
The carbon is cleaned from the combustion chamber area so it has nothing to do with the oil and oil filter.
What was suggested to me was to get engine carbon cleaned FIRST, then only much later go for service (otherwise you can attribute engine performance improvement to service or carbon cleaning)

Cheerz

Anybody tried walnut shell blasting?
It seems quite a lot of positive reviews...

Top Bottom