Engine bleeding! Help!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bishop

Club Guest
Car stalled cause ran out of petrol the last week :43: (Indicator rosak, might be the float)So while waitng for my friend to come pick me up, I pop open the hood. I noticed that there is a lot Fresh Red Oil(no dust/grime/dirt on it) on the passenger side from the power steering canister back towards the car. sort of a splatter cause can see some splatter around, not a leak. Looks like something burst. THere was quite a bit of oil as there is some ponding on the engine cover. At first I thought that the power steering leaking so I opened the bottle, it is still full. Looked around and nothing seems to be leaking. Filled up petrol and wiped the oil off. Till today no new leaks. Power steering oils still full. Where did the oil come from? What oils are there that is red? What cause the splatter? (Looks like the oil burst from pressure or hit a fan)BTW my car E39 '99 with double vanos/old engine(M52?).

the other "red oil" that i can think off is the gearbox fluid, assuming yours is automatic. could a leak from the hose connecting the gearbox to the radiator...

Gearbox oil for E39 shud be "gold/clear"' colour oil....Did you just service/change power-steering related stuff, maybe a bottle of the power-steering fluid was accidentally left in the engine bay and spilt/splattered inside the bay as car was moving, but bottle fell off after awhile since oil already emptied from the bottle? Can't recall any other "red oil" besides the power-steering.
K&N oil - this is red, applied to K&N air filter...again, unless accidentally left in the engine bay...

Can't be a bottle left on it as the last time the hood was opened was a few weeks ago. The oil seems to be fresh AKA no dust/dirt on it. Cause if the oil was there for some time then there would be some dirt/dust on it. Seems very fresh.

What is K&N oil?

P.S. cant post a pic cause have wiped off the oil already. :p

weird thing is there dont seem to be any oil leaks/burst since then. Could the car running out of petrol have anything to do with it?

read that Auto bavaria has a RM100 20 point check with diagnostic. Can go there for check then bring back to own mech ar...?

Geoffrey, any idea what it is...?

Top Bottom