EML light on - Car Moving in 1st gear

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

terry8

Club Guest
Hi gurus, can someone guess what is wrong with my car. It only go maximum 30km/hr no matter how much i press on the accelerator

terry8;829021 said:
Hi gurus, can someone guess what is wrong with my car. It only go maximum 30km/hr no matter how much i press on the accelerator

Use diagnostic scanner to check for error code. Capture error code then clear first. See how it goes. How about gear sign. Is it lighted up too?

This sounds like valvetronic went into emergency mode. Check power connections to valvetronic module and fuse in the boot.

Like bro Zidee mention, a diagnose will pin point the problem.

Terry,

Can you share info about your ride. E46 318i with N42 engine?

By looking at your earlier posting, your engine is N42. Typically if Valvetronic motor problem, you car rather hesitence to move with sound like heavy knocking. If that is the case, you may open the valve cover, knock the silver colour valvetronic motor with something hard, preferably wood based. Start the engine and see how it goes. If its back to normal, if you may still need to plug in the diagnostic to confirm it then clear the error. If you use INPA or GT1, I think there is an option to do adaptation/learning. You may hear the valvetronic motor moving during the adaptation process.

aidilj;829031 said:
This sounds like valvetronic went into emergency mode. Check power connections to valvetronic module and fuse in the boot.

Like bro Zidee mention, a diagnose will pin point the problem.

Bro Aidilj,

If fuse or loose connection is an issue, will the EML disappear once rectified or you have to use diagnostic to clear it? My E87 N46 engine check light is still on. My INPA does not seems to be able to read. I don't have the 30km/h limitation though.

zidee;829040 said:
Bro Aidilj,

If fuse or loose connection is an issue, will the EML disappear once rectified or you have to use diagnostic to clear it? My E87 N46 engine check light is still on. My INPA does not seems to be able to read. I don't have the 30km/h limitation though.

Not very sure, but I think it should disappear on its own after the problem is rectified. No reset/clearing required.

Sorry to hear that you still can't diagnose the E87, I've no idea how to solve it and what else to try.

aidilj;829049 said:
Not very sure, but I think it should disappear on its own after the problem is rectified. No reset/clearing required.

Sorry to hear that you still can't diagnose the E87, I've no idea how to solve it and what else to try.

I had the feeling I have to change the valvetronic motor after all. This is the 3rd time it happen. Don't feel good travel long distance with the engine check light is out although I know its related to the valvetronic as per what has been diagnose at Optimum last time. Optimum just clear the error and do adaptation/learning. Now the light is back.

I had same problem before, at last I change the VVT servo motor and the problem fix. Some more must change to new part, don't use those kedai potong it won't work.

wsonny;829058 said:
I had same problem before, at last I change the VVT servo motor and the problem fix. Some more must change to new part, don't use those kedai potong it won't work.

Can you share how much it cost you to change it?

Let me check the bill, the total payment I make is around 1750. Include of
1. VVT servomotor
2. Throttle sensor
3. Fuel filter
4. Workmanship

Those who experienced this valvetronic motor failfure, care to share your current milleage?

My E90 had the check engine problem last Dec. Change this thing, second hand RM400.
unydy6uz.jpg

azyrajuz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zidee;829036 said:
Terry,

Can you share info about your ride. E46 318i with N42 engine?
Yes its E46 318i N42 engine. My workshop scanned and said its the valvetronic motor. I changed this 1.5 yrs ago with a 2nd hand part. The problem is intermittent. After switching off the engine for 30 minutes - problem disappears. It happened twice already. I might not fix it now.

wingzee;829087 said:
Those who experienced this valvetronic motor failfure, care to share your current milleage?
Mileage is 177,869 km. Changed with 2nd hand valvetronic motor 1.5 years ago

Top Bottom