E92 335i wastegate rattle and 30FF DME

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

OCD

Greetings all. I've searched the forums on this topic and got some info which led me to perform further diagnosis to narrow down the source of the problem.

However, would like to seek more clarification from all the sifus here on your experiences and any other alternatives.

My ride is currently experiencing the dreaded wastegate rattle and pushing out 30FF DME error code: Turbocharger, boost pressure too low

I've consulted a few workshops including K&S and Obermaier and they told me my options are below:
1. change to new turbos (RM8K+)
2. refurbish the wastegate/turbo (RM800 for dismantling/installation of wastegates, price for refurbishment is around RM1K+ per turbo)
3. check/replace all vacuum hoses first in case there are leaks (below RM1K)

However, the workshops mentioned that the option of refurbishing the wastegate brings varying results and doesn't guarantee to solve the issue, based on a few cases that they've done.

And if I go for Option 1 the problem could occur again due to bad design on BMW's part. Which leads me to my next question: Are there any aftermarket options that address this issue permanently and have you guys tried it before?

Appreciate your inputs and many thanks in advance!

just want to check with you, what are the symptoms you are getting? Engine fault error? I get engine fault error when the rpm goes above 4. However the car still drives normally. Haven't had time to get it checked yet.

BTW RM8k is for 2 turbo's or one??

gimli said:
just want to check with you, what are the symptoms you are getting? Engine fault error? I get engine fault error when the rpm goes above 4. However the car still drives normally. Haven't had time to get it checked yet.

BTW RM8k is for 2 turbo's or one??
Yes an engine fault error message will pop up on and off during sudden acceleration from low RPM. As per pic below. The car becomes sluggish after that.
enginefault.jpg

The price is for both turbos.

soulfood said:
RB turbo from US bro
Yes bro I've seen their options. But can the auto gearbox handle the power increase? My initial thought is to keep the car stock for driveability and reliability.

OCD said:
Yes bro I've seen their options. But can the auto gearbox handle the power increase? My initial thought is to keep the car stock for driveability and reliability.
Hey bro, what is ur final solution..??

Seith_C said:
Hey bro, what is ur final solution..??
Hi bro. I've been travelling quite a fair bit lately and didn't have much time to send the car for further diagnosis. Will update soon once I've settled down.

OCD said:
Hi bro. I've been travelling quite a fair bit lately and didn't have much time to send the car for further diagnosis. Will update soon once I've settled down.
Hi Bro, do update us the outcome ya..
Thanks..

Hello all. Finally an update on resolving the issue.

I've been busy with business travel and thought it would be a good opportunity to put the car in the workshop for some serious troubleshooting.

Decided to drop the engine and do a thorough check on all the engine components.

Took out the turbo/wastegate assembly and the rattlling is very serious. Flapper and bushings are so loose that they ring like a bell when I shake the housing. Fortunately the turbos are still in good condition.

Decided to order a wastegate repair kit from Turbo Lab US to replace the worn out parts.

Before this I've changed all my vacuum hoses to silicone ones to ensure there's no vacuum leak. Checked the vacuum canisters as well and they're still in good condition.

At the same time, realized that my engine mountings are failing and got them replaced. Some ageing power steering components are replaced as well.

Noticed the intake tract and valves are in a mess with lots of carbon deposits. Decided to do a thorough clean up using the manual way.

After fixing back all the parts and test driving the car, we found that a MAP sensor is defective. And a boost solenoid is bleeding boost. Got them replaced and so far the car is running great. Power delivery is much smoother now and the response across all RPM range is great. Not a hint of lag at all.

Hope this info is useful for those affected. It's such a shame that design issues like this are overlooked by the BMW engineers. Otherwise, the 335 is an amazing ride! :67:

Some pics and vids of the new wastegate parts after the machining work:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQ-kNmMXSM[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upOOGwQcF0Y[/media]

Hi Bro..OCD....thanks for your info...
Can share how much you spend , also where u do ur servicing..?

+1, i need to get mine fixed also :(

Seith_C said:
Hi Bro..OCD....thanks for your info...
Can share how much you spend , also where u do ur servicing..?

Hi bros. I did mine at VAGTechnik in Glenmarie. If you're interested to explore do give Chai a call at 018-2091828. Tell him Steve referred you.

I was suppose to send my car for valve cleaning to him, but no time. i didn't know he could rebuild turbo. my friend sent his audi for replacing the piston ring, seems like a nice guy.

OCD said:
Hi bros. I did mine at VAGTechnik in Glenmarie. If you're interested to explore do give Chai a call at 018-2091828. Tell him Steve referred you.

gimli said:
I was suppose to send my car for valve cleaning to him, but no time. i didn't know he could rebuild turbo. my friend sent his audi for replacing the piston ring, seems like a nice guy.
Same here. Wanted to engage them for valve cleaning at first. They don't rebuild turbos and sub the job out to their panel of turbo/machining partners. I didn't rebuild mine as they are still in good condition.

Do check your wastegate actuators as well. After the repair one of them failed shortly and is unable to control the wastegate flap. So now back it's back to the workshop. :(

Not very costly items but alot of work due to the tight space of their location. The strange thing was this part is not easily available locally and I have to order them online.

Ordered another item to fully utilize my shipping quota. :) The stock plastic chargepipe is prone to collapsing if we boost higher.

Very nice.

Although I think you should have ordered a set of Pure turbos instead of the wastegate actuators :)

Top Bottom