E90 ATF Cooler

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DanzE90

Club Guest
Hi,
would like to ask, is it recommended to install an external ATF cooler for E90? as sometimes my gear slips in jam, suspect ATF overheat, hence the slippage,
pls advice.
thanks.

DanzE90 said:
Hi,
would like to ask, is it recommended to install an external ATF cooler for E90? as sometimes my gear slips in jam, suspect ATF overheat, hence the slippage,
pls advice.
thanks.
Very rare that you would need an ATF cooler for city driving. Which E90 are you driving at the moment? Is yours the GM auto box or ZF auto box (there are 3 variants as well).

mine is 2006 E90 320i, guess its the ZF gearbox.
there was once during traffic jam the gbox suddenly went into limp mode, had to restart the car then the warning signs disappeared.

wat does it mean when in limp mode? the ATF overheated?

DanzE90 said:
mine is 2006 E90 320i, guess its the ZF gearbox.
there was once during traffic jam the gbox suddenly went into limp mode, had to restart the car then the warning signs disappeared.

wat does it mean when in limp mode? the ATF overheated?
Yes that sounds like it but it can also mean that they have another type of error.

How does the warning sign looks like? If there were a warning sign, get the fault code. Fault code will tell you what the problem was.

check the thermostat located at the bottom of the expansion tank. Sometime it jammed or broken.

Jarance, bottom of our expansion tank no thermostat, only a level sensor.

2zdk.png

Ya. E46 bottom radiator thermostat jam up can cause the reservoir to crack due to pressure build up. Common e46 problem.

astroboy said:
How does the warning sign looks like? If there were a warning sign, get the fault code. Fault code will tell you what the problem was.
confirm the gbox went into limp mode, it was a yellow gear sign, I then refered to the user manual.

Any updates on this ATF overheating?

I experienced the warning (a gear symbol with a temp symbol inside - yellow) whilst I was "cruising" along at around 180km/h for about 45 minutes on the highway. Normal driving about Klang Valley is ok.

Now first to second is very jerky but i tried revving the nuts off first gear and it revs very cleanly. Am wondering is it s syncromesh issue between first and second gear? The rest of the gear no problem.

I only experience this this year after changing my ATF oil.

I also at times feel the gbox jerking.

just wondering my car suddenly dies during idling, RPM fluctuates at times...any issues?

Hikaru said:
Any updates on this ATF overheating?

I experienced the warning (a gear symbol with a temp symbol inside - yellow) whilst I was "cruising" along at around 180km/h for about 45 minutes on the highway. Normal driving about Klang Valley is ok.

Now first to second is very jerky but i tried revving the nuts off first gear and it revs very cleanly. Am wondering is it s syncromesh issue between first and second gear? The rest of the gear no problem.

I only experience this this year after changing my ATF oil.
Have you tried resetting the gear and then trying again? What ATF fluid did you use at the time? Did you also change the pan?

DanzE90 said:
I also at times feel the gbox jerking.

just wondering my car suddenly dies during idling, RPM fluctuates at times...any issues?
Yeah I face that issue as well last time (gear jerks when changing especially at low gears). After I sent my car to the BMW service to get the gearbox resetted (to be readapted again) then I barely face that issue.
But when it comes to car dying while idling, that is something of a cause for concern.

Enough ATF or not? Overfill ATF also will cause gearbox to choke and overheat..

It was just in for service at Bomin Auto, Jalan Ipoh so i presume they know what they are doing regarding the ATF type and amount. Perhaps I should take it back to tell them about the problem. I did change my oil pan but that was early part of this year.

I remember they said that they reset the gear box and if i drive it smoothly, the jerkiness is not very evident.

If the RPM fluctuates at idle, it means that there is some serious problem with the gearbox. The boss at Bomin told me that he had a customer who has the same problem. Best get it checked.

mavik,
how much does it costs to get the gbox re-adapted?

does bomin have the equipment

last time changed atf + oil pan @ 108k kms at heritage PJS 1, quite a rip off there.
now mileage @ 130+k kms.

how many kms the atf can lasts? some say 100k kms, others say 70k kms.
which is true?

To be really safe, every 50-60k km. Or if you are very anal about it, 30k km. Depending on how the car is driven. Mine personally is set at 50k km service interval while the oil pan + filter is every 100k km.

i was told that the best mileage to change ATF is at 40k kms, but as per your advice will change at 50k kms.
it is a common issue for gearbox jerking for e90 320i, it that true?

DanzE90 said:
i was told that the best mileage to change ATF is at 40k kms, but as per your advice will change at 50k kms.
it is a common issue for gearbox jerking for e90 320i, it that true?
I don't believe that the jerking gearbox is common.

Top Bottom