E90 320 2005 CBU @158k/80km is this a good deal?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;398551 said:
Please be warned that a set of 19" Falken rubber on 320 E90 can only last about 15k km (less than a year to many).. I am not sure is it because of the size or the Falken itself is a high thread wear index tyre.. :rolleyes:

My Avanza tyre can last 60k km.. :p

... and the E90 320 rear tyre make faster than the front, I used to disbelieve this but just found out its true. My rear tyre makan inside.. :( .. am using the OEM CSC2 225/45R17 at 19k km, rear inner thread almost hit the tread wear indicator (about 2mm), outer still has plenty to go (about 4mm).. :( front tyre still good and even 4mm till the thread wear indicator.

wow..19" rims on a 320i? can the car really move after that? btw it most prolly due to the thread wear rating too low...our bridgestone re050a has a rating of less than 200 thread wear...crazily fast to worn out.i know pirelly p zero has a thread wear of 100 if im not mistaken...u have to change the tyres every year i guess if u use it daily hahaha

astroboy;398551 said:
... and the E90 320 rear tyre make faster than the front, I used to disbelieve this but just found out its true. My rear tyre makan inside.. :( .. am using the OEM CSC2 225/45R17 at 19k km, rear inner thread almost hit the tread wear indicator (about 2mm), outer still has plenty to go (about 4mm).. :( front tyre still good and even 4mm till the thread wear indicator.

astro, it sounds like your camber is out. Unless you fix it, a new set of rear tyres will wear out similarly fast. Each time I do my quarterly alignment, I'll find that not just the alignment, but the camber and toe-in are also out on this or that wheel. This is more so in my E90 than my other rides, possibly because the fine-tuned suspension is more prone to being knocked out of true by the potholes.

do they check the alignment during BSRI ? and any recommendation where i can do this check?

No, and if you ask the dealers to check alignment, they'll just send it out and charge you for it. :) Find a good tyre shop and do it there yourself. Just look for a big, busy one. Always ask which wheel was out of balance/alignment/toe-in/camber, and by how much, as that can indicate suspension problems too.

Schwepps;398574 said:
No, and if you ask the dealers to check alignment, they'll just send it out and charge you for it. :) Find a good tyre shop and do it there yourself. Just look for a big, busy one. Always ask which wheel was out of balance/alignment/toe-in/camber, and by how much, as that can indicate suspension problems too.

where is the best place for alignment ? and how about specific chamber for 325i, 325 msport and 320i since all of these cars have different rim sizes and height. does the alignment machine has a specific setting for them? if we look at the rear tyres of 325 sport with lowered suspension and fat tyres, they are slightly -ev chamber and i reckon the inner thread will wear out faster than outer am i right?

My OEM set up also rear 225/45R17 tyre makan inside.. I think too aggressive -ve camber la. My old E36 also no such problem.. :(

I'm thinking of cutting down on the -ve camber.. otherwise, my rear tyre will forever only half used.. :(

astroboy;398580 said:
My OEM set up also rear 225/45R17 tyre makan inside.. I think too aggressive -ve camber la. My old E36 also no such problem.. :(

I'm thinking of cutting down on the -ve camber.. otherwise, my tyre will forever only half used.. :(

is the current setting (-ev) is oem setting or u set it urself?

astroboy;398580 said:

I'm thinking of cutting down on the -ve camber.. otherwise, my rear tyre will forever only half used.. :(

Just follow the spec and do it often. A good shop will have the specs for all cars and models. As I said earlier, my quarterly check always reveals that something is out on some of the wheels. Cost for all-wheel balancing and alignment is about RM70. Pricey, but not as pricey as tyres that wear out prematurely.

i've some alignment centre which has this pre setting of type of cars..but that particular centre only has this generic type..example BMW 3series e90....

no specific 325 sport or 320i etc...

glock_8;398568 said:
wow..19" rims on a 320i? can the car really move after that? btw it most prolly due to the thread wear rating too low...our bridgestone re050a has a rating of less than 200 thread wear...crazily fast to worn out.i know pirelly p zero has a thread wear of 100 if im not mistaken...u have to change the tyres every year i guess if u use it daily hahaha

Sure the car will move, been there done that :wink:

The FK452's have a treadwear rating of 300. Another probable cause for accelerated tyre wear could be lowered suspension, larger tyre size may play a part too I guess...

GHS;398920 said:
Sure the car will move, been there done that :wink:

The FK452's have a treadwear rating of 300. Another probable cause for accelerated tyre wear could be lowered suspension, larger tyre size may play a part too I guess...

hahaha...didn't realized u'll take it literally...what i meant is, the 158hp already make the car slower to accelerate...putting on the 19" wheels will further make the acceleration worse.

No worries bro, all taken in good faith :)

Frankly, I don't feel that much of a difference in acceleration with 19".
But then again, my ride is just "all show, no go"...
So nvm lah :p

glock_8;398599 said:
i've some alignment centre which has this pre setting of type of cars..but that particular centre only has this generic type..example BMW 3series e90....

no specific 325 sport or 320i etc...

OEM setting not necessary suitable for all. I believe my rear camber is standard but yet, serious inner wear, so I need to go for a less aggressive -ve rear camber.

I spoke to one of the SC, they want to charge me RM350 for the job.. they say BSRI does not cover "alignment" and warranty only cover alignment for the first 2k km.. :( :stupid:

Standard camber setting will give you even thread wear, and you shouldn't have to DIY compensate for high inner wear of rear tyres. Perhaps they're quoting RM350 to include checking your suspension with their much-advertised equipment?

I intend to do a rear camber check at a local tyre shop and I intend to go there with my fuel tank half to 3/4 full.. which happened to be my usual fuel load and see what they say.

If they say nothing wrong, I will insist they reduce my -ve rear camber by half degree from whatever reading they are getting, for both rear tyres. That should rectify my inner thread wear problem, and perhaps rotate the rear to the front to extend my rear tyre life..

.. and BlackE90, as u mentioned last night you suffer outer thread wear for your front tyre, then I suggest u adjust your front camber. U should love the new setting especially during cornering! :top:

GHS;399135 said:
No worries bro, all taken in good faith :)

Frankly, I don't feel that much of a difference in acceleration with 19".
But then again, my ride is just "all show, no go"...
So nvm lah :p

btw loved those 19" rim on e90....they look sexy

astroboy;399166 said:
I intend to do a rear camber check at a local tyre shop and I intend to go there with my fuel tank half to 3/4 full.. which happened to be my usual fuel load and see what they say.

Check your tyre pressures too bro. Low tyre pressures will tend to wear the inner side more as it'll have to support more weight.

Schwepps;399210 said:
Check your tyre pressures too bro. Low tyre pressures will tend to wear the inner side more as it'll have to support more weight.

Aiyaa, if under inflate, it should wear both inner and outer thread ma. Anyway, have not check my tyre pressure for months.. if not years.. :p

So normally how much do they charge for the alignment/camber job at the tyre shop? I know my Toyota alignment only cause RM15 (front only, belakang mati).. :p

astroboy;399530 said:
Aiyaa, if under inflate, it should wear both inner and outer thread ma. Anyway, have not check my tyre pressure for months.. if not years.. :p

So normally how much do they charge for the alignment/camber job at the tyre shop? I know my Toyota alignment only cause RM15 (front only, belakang mati).. :p

Really? As most cars are designed with -ve camber nowadays, and as yours may have extra -ve camber, I would think that underinflation would put the wear all on the inner side. :rolleyes: You haven't checked your TP since day one. I check mine weekly, and usually all 4 tyres lose 1 psi per week. Just topped up mine from 34/38 psi back to 36/40 psi.

All-wheel balancing and alignment in a GOOD shop will cost around RM70.

Schwepps;399613 said:
Really? As most cars are designed with -ve camber nowadays, and as yours may have extra -ve camber, I would think that underinflation would put the wear all on the inner side. :rolleyes: You haven't checked your TP since day one. I check mine weekly, and usually all 4 tyres lose 1 psi per week. Just topped up mine from 34/38 psi back to 36/40 psi.

All-wheel balancing and alignment in a GOOD shop will cost around RM70.

Bro, any chance if you could recommend a good tyre shop for me to visit.

Top Bottom