e60 headlight restoration

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

moots

Club Guest
after watching many headlight lens restoration on youtube i guess its about time i attempt this.

before
uploadfromtaptalk1427019756515.jpg

halfway
uploadfromtaptalk1427019821223.jpg

complete
uploadfromtaptalk1427019858944.jpg

results are not as expected as per youtube but much better than before.

took i hr for 1 side.....380,500,1000,1500,2000,3000 grit sandpaper used with a turtle wax polish as final polish....

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427019917816.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427019917816.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 51
Looking good with the oxidised layer removed.

In order to get maximum clarity, you gotta make sure to finely sand down the lenses. How to know if it's ready for compounding/polishing? Turn on the headlights and look for any visible scratches/marks, it should just be blurry. After that a little compunding and polishing will really make the lenses clear provided its clean internally.

Just a tip that I got from YouTube, use only one direction for each grit, example go horizontal when using 500 and vertical for 1000. Repeat until finish, it helps to remove almost all of the scratches/marks.

bro better get it done professionally. the final result still looks hazy. did you polish it by hand or machine? btw for better result, its better to remove the headlight cover. you also need to install protective film as it will turn back yellow very quickly since the sanding process has also removed the protective layer of the headlight.

he he...results are much better now after using machine to polish using turtle wax safe cut scratch remover...

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Good effort bro Moots.

Maybe Admin can move this topic to DIY section for future reference.

Can try with Brasso instead of the polish. use a electric buffer or similar. I learn his from a watch repair man. My watch front was quite badly scratch. He use sandpaper sand it down and then apply the Brasso and use a buffer machine. It looks as new after.

Well once year do continue to light polish those headlamps and rear lights as to make it look fresh and new using DA. I don't have oxidation issue on headlamps on all my ride regardless Jap or conti

Top Bottom