Hella Headlights Rejuvenating DIY

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i tried on a small area on the corner of the headlamp with 800, 1000, 1500 and then used only rubbing compound. it is still very blurry. guess there is no shortcut and i really need those polishing compound and that headlamp polisher. will give it a go again.

I agree with Seech. Unless there're serious chips and scratches, 400 is too aggresive grade to start with. Then after all the manual wet sandings, a machine is almost mandatory (cheap orbital will do, its only plastic surface). Otherwise it'll be very difficult to rid of the cloudiness.
The question is, now that you have successfully remove the factory coatings on your lenses, how long will the new surface last?

e39touring;551463 said:
I agree with Seech. Unless there're serious chips and scratches, 400 is too aggresive grade to start with. Then after all the manual wet sandings, a machine is almost mandatory (cheap orbital will do, its only plastic surface). Otherwise it'll be very difficult to rid of the cloudiness.
The question is, now that you have successfully remove the factory coatings on your lenses, how long will the new surface last?

can"t say so far after doing it my still looks good

bought the turtle polishing compound and a bottle of chiplak headlamp polisher this morning and continued where i left off after the rubbing compound. the headlights do look rejuvenated and shiny. i guess if i have spent more time on the rubbing and polishing part, the lights can be shinnier but i'm happy with the results costing just RM50 and about 1 1/2 hours of manual hardwork on each side.

thanks guys for the guide.

i did the 800, 1000, 1500 sanding and only up to rubbing compound previously as i couldn't find the polishing compound and headlamp polisher earlier. after the rubbing, the lamps were still hazy. with these 2 stuff, it looks much clearer. may be need further polishing. it is extremely tiring with manual polishing ;)

bimmer73;552031 said:
It would have been better if you had sand the lights. Post some pics

i didn't take the photo of it before but the whole cover was full of chips and scratches and milky. here is one after the process. that long thin whitish strip at the top of the cover, which i didn't touch, was what it looked like. it is not as clear as i wanted it to be but looked much better than before. may be i really need to polish it with one of those buffering machines.

Top Bottom