E60 530i (Japan) Headlamps

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerholic

Club Guest
Fellow Forummers,A friend of mine needs a set of headlamps for his 530i E60 ASAP. He mentioned his cover has changed to yellowish (i haven't seen how bad it is but he says it's bad...real bad!). He asked a few shops in Sunway car boulevard for his lamps...he almost collapsed when they said it'll cost him near MYR 7K brand new. So he's wondering if can source from chop shop. Need some help from fellow E60 sifus here....1) Can the headlamp be pried open to separate the front cover for cleaning inside the cover?2) Can the headlamps be sourced from chop-shop? If so, kindly please state location&number, preferably in klang valley. I think i only saw 1 chop shop here that had an e60 1/2 cut but that was last year. 3) Anyone else have encountered this before? If yes, what was the solution?Thanks in advance guys.

just to confirm...when you mentioned "cover has changed to yellowish", do you mean the outside part?

If yes, your friend could have the headlamps polished at a car-detailing centre?

Sorry if this was not the correct answer to your query. Just my thoughts. =)

You can get E60 headlight from Chan Used Parts Trading at Lot 3016-A, Batu 6 Jalan Puchong, KL. Tel (012) 292-8706 Alvin Chan.

herbert;476428 said:
You can get E60 headlight from Chan Used Parts Trading at Lot 3016-A, Batu 6 Jalan Puchong, KL. Tel (012) 292-8706 Alvin Chan.

Got 1 unit but someone has already paid deposit and waiting for collection. Thanks bro for the contact.

king82;476394 said:
just to confirm...when you mentioned "cover has changed to yellowish", do you mean the outside part?

If yes, your friend could have the headlamps polished at a car-detailing centre?

Sorry if this was not the correct answer to your query. Just my thoughts. =)

I'm hoping it's the outside cover and not the mercury reflector inside. Going to see his car tmr. Yea if it's just cover i think it can be polished out. Any detailing centre that you know of that restores headlamp? thanks king82.

hehe...sorry no idea where to go for this...when i was back in ipoh, i took my car for a wash. I saw the lady boss polish the headlamp of a harrier...that's how i got that idea...other bros may be able to let you know where this can be done... =)

bimmerholic;476445 said:
I'm hoping it's the outside cover and not the mercury reflector inside. Going to see his car tmr. Yea if it's just cover i think it can be polished out. Any detailing centre that you know of that restores headlamp? thanks king82.

Dr Cermin at Puchong does headlight cover restoration. You can call Sean at (012) 299-0963. They are close to TESCO Puchong.

To answer your quetsions.
1) No, not able to remove the cover - I had a same problem before and an AB technician told me NOT... They tried many times.
2) I think Yes! Sorry I don't have the contact. But I did purchased one set from Japan chop shop. By the way, I did asked one of the spare parts shop in Butterworth and the pricing is around RM2000+ for one unit, a set is about RM4K not 7K!
3) I polished by my self by using a type of plastic polishing chemical "Autosol for plastic" NOT Metal type. It works well. But my one is not yellowish, it's not clear like the cloudy sky.

Did mine at Autodetailer PJ. Go see Darren there, he can advise what can be done and achieved. Though mine wasn't exactly bad (at least to my eyes), so I didn't really notice much different. It was more the whole car detailing that I was interested in. BTW, mine is exact same model, i.e. E60 530 Jap spec.

bimmerholic;476371 said:
he almost collapsed when they said it'll cost him near MYR 7K brand new.

better ask him to sell the car fast b4 he gets a heart attack from other major surprises :)

bro ess530i, you are rite la when it comes to brandnew spares ;-)

but, if you or your mechanic is a bit hardworking to scout around town most used items are substantially lower price compared to new ones la...just that some used parts dealers want to potong you coq it is beeMdoubleU le.
pls correct me if i'm wrong...on this score, perhaps our forum members should be more actively posting for buy/sale items here...and to have a full list of chop shops dealing with bmw used parts.

about the lights, yes mine too are cloudy but was told by a few detailers that they could polish them and the cloud will disappear la...not cheap though

double solution ...

bimmerholic;476371 said:
Fellow Forummers,

A friend of mine needs a set of headlamps for his 530i E60 ASAP. He mentioned his cover has changed to yellowish (i haven't seen how bad it is but he says it's bad...real bad!). He asked a few shops in Sunway car boulevard for his lamps...he almost collapsed when they said it'll cost him near MYR 7K brand new. So he's wondering if can source from chop shop. Need some help from fellow E60 sifus here....

1) Can the headlamp be pried open to separate the front cover for cleaning inside the cover?

2) Can the headlamps be sourced from chop-shop? If so, kindly please state location&number, preferably in klang valley. I think i only saw 1 chop shop here that had an e60 1/2 cut but that was last year.

3) Anyone else have encountered this before? If yes, what was the solution?

Thanks in advance guys.

1st ... my younger has an original E60 (showroom) condition for sale. I believe he is asking for RM3K.
2nd. If its only the cover that has turn blurrish (not yellowish as I have yet to come across one that is ywllowish), I can have it polish crystal clear (guranteed) for RM150.

PM me if the interest is gunine. :top::top: :):)

dzuljazz2001;477097 said:
1st ... my younger has an original E60 (showroom) condition for sale. I believe he is asking for RM3K. 2nd. If its only the cover that has turn blurrish (not yellowish as I have yet to come across one that is ywllowish), I can have it polish crystal clear (guranteed) for RM150.

PM me if the interest is gunine. :top::top: :):)

Are you saying that your younger brother is selling his E60 lights from his car for 3k? If he were to do so, how is he going to sell his car unless of course he gets another set lights for his car, am i right?

Thanks for all the replies friends.

I saw his lights, and i've not seen anything like it before on any E60 for that matter. It's totally blurred out completely. I asked him if he has tried polishing it at any detailing shop, and he said he has tried, but they couldn't make it even 2% better! So he has decided to replace the whole damn thing.

hi bimmerholic...what is the age of your friend's E60? any reason(s) that caused the headlights to be that badly blurred out?

king82;478056 said:
hi bimmerholic...what is the age of your friend's E60? any reason(s) that caused the headlights to be that badly blurred out?

it's '04. No idea. overtime it started to blur slowly without realising it until one day he went like WTF has happened to my lights! :eek:

i see...I guess it's a kind of "warning" to all to take care (washing, polishing...)of their headlights...if not, a few Ks gone...

bimmerholic;478054 said:
Are you saying that your younger brother is selling his E60 lights from his car for 3k? If he were to do so, how is he going to sell his car unless of course he gets another set lights for his car, am i right?

hi there bimmerholic ... sorry but my bro has sold his headlights. Anyway my E60 is also a 2004 model and experience the same thing but maybe not as bad as what you have describe. Took it to a car painter shop and he did a very good job on it. I'd say about at leasst 95% than before but had to pay about RM275 for it.

Recently a chemicalmengineer friend of mind camae up with his own formula to tackle this issue and I had it tried on my friend's Harrier which has about the same problem and waalaaa ...it works very2 well...I managed to get a bit of a sample from him and I dont mind giving it to you (foc) :listen:for your friend to do his headlight.

I will be in KL 1st week Jan 2010 and will pm you when Im there.:top:

Top Bottom