E46 vs E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

peterhkp

Club Guest
Hi,Am new here. Seriously consider getting a used UDM. Not sure if to go with 3 series or 5 series. Appreciate your comments on the following to help determine choice:-1. Have a family with 3 kids. So adequate space is important though not critical. Otherwise go for MPV. Impression was E46 backseats and boot are a bit tight vs. E39.2. Ride and comfort - Which one is better? Any big diff? I mean it's bmw quality afterall.3. Power - Heard all over that E46 318 (1.9 or 2.0) and E39 520 (2.0) are underpowered. So, am looking at 525 or 325.4. Maintenance - What's diff btw 525 vs 528 and 325 vs 328. Think performance (hp/torque) is quite similar but any other major diff in terms of maintenance, ride, performance.5. Budget - about 90-100k.6. Any other key things that I need to know. For example I see got many imported model like 323. Better to get CKD and what to watch out for in CBU imported?Thanks!

my opinion...
1. e39 wins on space. (+1 for e39)
2. e39 wins on comfort (+1 for e39)
3. 525/325 even on power but smaller car will most likely accelerate faster (+1 for e46)
4. no idea about maintenance but subjectively e39 better built (+0.5 for e39)
5. used prices for e39 makes them better value (+1 for e39)
e39 winner :)

with 3 kids. definitly E39. By the way the 520 is a 2.2 better responds the the 523. in term of maintainence hard to say depends on your driving style.

Check on initialM' thread then u will know how much the maintenance for e46/e39.

bmw7833;505803 said:
Check on initialM' thread then u will know how much the maintenance for e46/e39.

eh where can use his thread for maintenance check?...his thread is for those who wants to restore the car to showroom condition..not just regular maintenance wor...:top:

peterhkp;505790 said:
Hi,

Am new here. Seriously consider getting a used UDM. Not sure if to go with 3 series or 5 series. Appreciate your comments on the following to help determine choice:-

1. Have a family with 3 kids. So adequate space is important though not critical. Otherwise go for MPV. Impression was E46 backseats and boot are a bit tight vs. E39.
Reply :- Definitely E39, well balanced.

2. Ride and comfort - Which one is better? Any big diff? I mean it's bmw quality afterall.
Reply :- Definitely E39, ride is comfortable on stock yet stable. Noise level is low, much better than E46.

3. Power - Heard all over that E46 318 (1.9 or 2.0) and E39 520 (2.0) are underpowered. So, am looking at 525 or 325.
Reply :- E39 M54B22 - Cruising speed is around 150kmh @ 7lit/100km. E39 2.2 can touch 210kmh. Depends on power definition and requirement I think. Looking for neck breaking acceleration, then both E39 and E46 will not give you that.

4. Maintenance - What's diff btw 525 vs 528 and 325 vs 328. Think performance (hp/torque) is quite similar but any other major diff in terms of maintenance, ride, performance.
Reply :- it's a BMW, E39 is best used car, so depends on how you drive I guess and the condition when you buy. Spare parts are same/slightly higher compared to new japanese cars in the same range but handling still beats any other japs in it's range.

5. Budget - about 90-100k.
Reply :- E39 M54B22 2003 is about that region depending on condition. E39 M54B25 2002 is about that region depending on condition.

6. Any other key things that I need to know. For example I see got many imported model like 323. Better to get CKD and what to watch out for in CBU imported?
Reply :- depends on luck, but I guess CKD is still the safer bet. I bought CKD.

Thanks!

Thank you.

bimmerholic;505867 said:
eh where can use his thread for maintenance check?...his thread is for those who wants to restore the car to showroom condition..not just regular maintenance wor...:top:

haha I think if anyone follow initialM's maintenance style, plus monthly installement for the car, one month kopak already la.....

E46 definitely too tight for 3 kids in the back. Might be ok if they're still small but once get bigger its gonna be tight. Also E46 boot a bit too small, a small sacrifice to pay for the rear-wheel driven car. If you balik kampung with your wife and the three kids then you'll know.

budget 90k to 100k...errmmmm

if me i will buy the cheapest e39 520 i can get lets say rm50k then i go somewhere in sg.besi and get me self a rm40k alpina B10 halfcut...merge both together and wala...a alpina B10 4.6l V8 on da road...all in rm100k...

hehehe...

t2ribena;506013 said:
budget 90k to 100k...errmmmm

if me i will buy the cheapest e39 520 i can get lets say rm50k then i go somewhere in sg.besi and get me self a rm40k alpina B10 halfcut...merge both together and wala...a alpina B10 4.8l V8 on da road...all in rm100k...

hehehe...

Saw an 1996 E39 528i selling for juz 38k in motortrader 2 weeks ago, too bad i was too late, some lucky person got it :(

Frankly speaking, E46 looks better in stock form if compared to E39 (my opinion only).
But, i LOVE BIGGER CARS! :love: bigger space :listen:

In ur case go for e39 would be the best .
e46 is just too small to fit 5 people...

For the maintenence would b roughly the same .

This is old topic and never ending..

To TS, when your mind come cross e39, then just go ahead! Otherwise u will admire who drive it on the road someday.

Let me make it even easier to choose...

With 3 full size adult at the back in an e39, they'll feel so tight altogether. So E46 is outtaf the Q in terms of backspace.
MPV maybe?

Thanks for all your info. Am going for E39. Targeting 525. Do let me know if anyone interested to sell....will be monitoring the classified section closely.

its a no brainer dude.. with kids.. E39.. hands down..

perhaps should go for E38.. nice car shitty value.. worth buying

by the way.. i have got one restored E39 for sell.. no harm taking a look.

gimme a call

alan

alantiong;508112 said:
its a no brainer dude.. with kids.. E39.. hands down..

perhaps should go for E38.. nice car shitty value.. worth buying

Roughly what is the price range for E38 ya bro?

Top Bottom