E46 transmission problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Had leaks but minor, so decided to just send my ride in and got the GB overhauled. My ride now is so much better and the gear shifts smoothly. Loving it. Get it done before you break down in nowhere especially if there is symptom of GB problems.

well if you just changed the oil, the mech prolly overfilled it. Overfilling and underfilling can have disastrous results. Thats why its always good to monitor the mech when they do the oil change so that you know they do it right. Most of the time they get their underlings to do it and they tend to overfill.

zidee;786847 said:
bro Jarance,

My son E46 2.2 has the exact problem you describe. Upon checking the gear box mounting has cracked. Oil pump damages and oil gushing out with white smoke as well on the tail. Since there is a sign of metal debris on the magnet in the pan, I've been advised to rebuilt the gear box instead of just change the oil pump.

what do you mean oil gushing out? meaning oil coming out from the exhaust?

azeL_Inc;795825 said:
what do you mean oil gushing out? meaning oil coming out from the exhaust?

what he meant was the GB ATF oil is gushing out from the GB near the torque converter.

Owh ok...haha..that got me scared for a while, as i saw some liquid stain (dunno oil, or water) on the floor, just under the exhaust hole.. Well, i do have problem with white smoke, but i do know what is bcoz of the oil leak..just hoping no problem with leaking ATF as well. got a long list of things to do and cant afford another problem, just yet. haha

Cold engine, car only moves with manual

Hi guys. Just asking this on behalf of my mom. She has a 318i.

Recently after an transmission oil change, the car has problem in the morning, when the engine is cold. The car will not move when no matter how hard you rev in D. It only works with manual. Reverse is fine.

After using manual for some time after the engine is warmed up (normally about 10 mins), then D gear works again. She also notice very bad fuel consumption compared to previous condition when there was not any problem.

Any ideas what might caused this?

We have sent to a shop and the mechanic suggested that the valve body was damaged and replacement/repair cost 4k plus. Need a second opinion here.

choon22;833116 said:
Hi guys. Just asking this on behalf of my mom. She has a 318i.

Recently after an transmission oil change, the car has problem in the morning, when the engine is cold. The car will not move when no matter how hard you rev in D. It only works with manual. Reverse is fine.

After using manual for some time after the engine is warmed up (normally about 10 mins), then D gear works again. She also notice very bad fuel consumption compared to previous condition when there was not any problem.

Any ideas what might caused this?

We have sent to a shop and the mechanic suggested that the valve body was damaged and replacement/repair cost 4k plus. Need a second opinion here.

Where did your mum have the ATF oil change done? Suspect that the oil is the wrong spec as some of the workshop are NOT aware of the right type of oil to use for BMW GB.

Get a second opinion. it dont cost that much to change the solenoid valves for an E46 GB.

not really sure about whether it's the right specs or not. thanks for the info, i think should get a second opinion from bmw pros. the previous shop was just some normal shop, 'specialized' in bmws

Hi sifus, need a second opinion here, my ride 328 yr 2000. Recently I notice there is oil leak at my GB. Sent to regular machanic, and he said it came out from the oil pump. He suggested for a complete overhaul and cost around RM6800. Should I overhaul or just need minor repair. Thanks

rosa23;834584 said:
Hi sifus, need a second opinion here, my ride 328 yr 2000. Recently I notice there is oil leak at my GB. Sent to regular machanic, and he said it came out from the oil pump. He suggested for a complete overhaul and cost around RM6800. Should I overhaul or just need minor repair. Thanks

bro get a 2nd opinion...

leaks can be anything from a simple o-ring to seals. May not be internal. Some mechs if not all would prefer you to overhaul (earn more ma!) rather than to do a thorough inspection to find the root cause. Any issue involvement mega bucks and esp GB based best to get 2nd opinion :)

Cheers bro hope this helps...

Thanks bro Iceduke. Since some of the forummer, recommended MScope, I thinnk I should go there to have a look.

I had my transmission warning light came out since last week. The car drive normally though, no limp mode; R, D, S and manual work fine. Suspect it was wiring problem, is it possible the warning light come out if there is a problem with wiring? thanks.

Anybody faced the infamous "no-reverse" issue before? For ZF 5HP19 (A5S325Z) gearboxes. How much did it cost you to repair? Or is it cheaper to convert to a manual tranny? Mine is starting to have symptoms reverse gear about to fail.

ee7han,

I had encountered once reversed gear problem on my 39 525i (ZF HP19) after going through puddy of water during heavy thunderstorm. Symptoms were - No reversed gear, TRANS FAIL SAFE and auto gear on 3rd gear only.

Apparently the fault was water slipped into the position connector (number 12 of diagram). The mechanic taped up the connector and then reset the gearbox.

Attachments

• ZF 5HP19.png
    ZF 5HP19.png
    14 KB · Views: 16
Herbert said:
ee7han,

I had encountered once reversed gear problem on my 39 525i (ZF HP19) after going through puddy of water during heavy thunderstorm. Symptoms were - No reversed gear, TRANS FAIL SAFE and auto gear on 3rd gear only.

Apparently the fault was water slipped into the position connector (number 12 of diagram). The mechanic taped up the connector and then reset the gearbox.
I see, thanks for your reply. Anyway I've did some search on other 46 forums. Apparently they think it's a design flaw of the d-drum (reverse). Read: www.no-reverse.org

How much for taping up and resetting the GB costed you?

Herbert I am interested to know which ride you are driving as you seems like very familiar with stuff here..in future will like to ask you if encounter any problem..that's why asking do we have the similar ride..

Jacky Low said:
Herbert I am interested to know which ride you are driving as you seems like very familiar with stuff here..in future will like to ask you if encounter any problem..that's why asking do we have the similar ride..
I think he has e39 525i stated in abv reply..

Top Bottom