e46 Quad Exhaust

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ibrahim Hanif

Club Guest
Anyone have a recommendation on how to build the quad exhaust without take out the spare tire compartment?. Think to makeover my ride. Please advice all sifus. Any links from previous owner who build it?. Thanks in advance.

so long you're not using the original M3 quad exhaust system, all aftermarket 'Wah Seng' quad exhaust system will retain your spare tire compartment...
go survey around Sunway, they will modify to add the quad tip with some additional pipes to make it look like a quad exhaust system but it may risk on the car performance...

my 2 cents...

my local "M5" quad exhaust.........this is how they will route the pipes to have the "look".performance not affected as the mod is done after the last muffler box

How about those that change to Taiwan sets style M3 for non -M cars? Any change / reduction in terms of performance?

moots;757914 said:
my local "M5" quad exhaust.........this is how they will route the pipes to have the "look".performance not affected as the mod is done after the last muffler box

Bro Moots: I'm sure if they route the pipes from the last muffler box the performance is the same right. My concern is dont want to loose the performance and want to remain standard. The reason i'm doing the quad exhaust is more to aesthetics. Any suggestion and comment?

fahmi757;757923 said:
View attachment 25535

just buy quad exhaust like mine..you dont have to take out tire spare compartment...the design is different compare to the ori M3 quad exhaust...

So bro, have u tested out the performance? Any reduction / loss in power or better ? Hehehe

moots;757914 said:

Haha, bro, its similar to mine..no effect on the performance.

Petrus;757952 said:
So bro, have u tested out the performance? Any reduction / loss in power or better ? Hehehe

Bro,from my personal opinion..i think there is no reduction in power or increase in bhp....it seems the quad exhaust deliver d same this as my ori exhaust....

The main reason i change to taiwan quad exhaust becoz i my ori exhaust already rusty n its time for me to change it n 2nd due to conversion of my bodykit to m3 bodykit that make me have to purchase quad exhaust..huhuhuhu:D

if i may share some experience modding my previous e46 330ci full exhaust system..i had to mod my exhaust twice..after some lessons learned and extensive research, i found out that normally people would go for 3 types of quad-exhaust setup (for e46 with spare tyre compartment):

1) extend a pipe (almost 90 degree) just before the exhaust tip (a bit similar to bro moots picture in post #3, but not as smoothly angled as his)
2) extend a pipe from the backbox/muffler (as per pic by bro fahmi in post #6), mostly sold/made by remus, eisenman, taiwans etc.
3) extend a pipe all the way from the mid-section to the tip (as per attached picture)
4) oh almost forgot this one..quite popular too..put fake tips at the other side..hehe cheap n fast...but kantui in the morning/rainy days only one side keluar asap

I did Option 1 at Redzone after converting into CSL rear bumper..car was sent by Red Zone to Wai Heng at the corner lot shop...terrible terrible effect..immediately can feel loss in power...loss low end torque...car pick-up was horrible...sound only but struggling to fly...mind u this is coming from a manual 3.0 liter...believe the power loss is due to the blockage at the end due to the almost 90 degree pipe causing too much backpressure..only good thing (or bad) is the sound is louder..oh btw, workmanship for bumper also very poor..bumper came off during my trip at Kuantan...had to drive back with my a$$ exposed all the way on LPT highway...horrible experience there..boss also so lansi..anyways past is the past..

Finally after so long kumpul duit, finally did Option 2 with full exhaust system from extractor all the way to the tips at a reputable exhaust shop in Melaka..did a before and after dyno...result was increase by about 10whp..very satisfied with the power and sound :top: imho tho, the power increase most probably came from those high performance extractors and removal of catalytic converters..however if u change the back-box only with bolt on plug n play aftermarket exhaust, i believe there should not be any increase or decrease in power..mostly the effect will be on sound only..

Option 3, thinking of doing this initially...but found out later that this will cause loud sound in the cabin and very apparent droning effects...HM sure will bebel..but if you don't mind all this, then probably this is the best setup due to its direct flow (i stand corrected)...

anyways, happy modding all and my advise is do a proper and thorough research before committing...oh and also dont forget to change your air intake system or air filter then after that do an ECU remap...the result sure will put big smiles on your face...hehehe

SilverBullet;758393 said:
if i may share some experience modding my previous e46 330ci full exhaust system..i had to mod my exhaust twice..after some lessons learned and extensive research, i found out that normally people would go for 3 types of quad-exhaust setup (for e46 with spare tyre compartment):

1) extend a pipe (almost 90 degree) just before the exhaust tip (a bit similar to bro moots picture in post #3, but not as smoothly angled as his)
2) extend a pipe from the backbox/muffler (as per pic by bro fahmi in post #6), mostly sold/made by remus, eisenman, taiwans etc.
3) extend a pipe all the way from the mid-section to the tip (as per attached picture)
4) oh almost forgot this one..quite popular too..put fake tips at the other side..hehe cheap n fast...but kantui in the morning/rainy days only one side keluar asap

I did Option 1 at Redzone after converting into CSL rear bumper..car was sent by Red Zone to Wai Heng at the corner lot shop...terrible terrible effect..immediately can feel loss in power...loss low end torque...car pick-up was horrible...sound only but struggling to fly...mind u this is coming from a manual 3.0 liter...believe the power loss is due to the blockage at the end due to the almost 90 degree pipe causing too much backpressure..only good thing (or bad) is the sound is louder..oh btw, workmanship for bumper also very poor..bumper came off during my trip at Kuantan...had to drive back with my a$$ exposed all the way on LPT highway...horrible experience there..boss also so lansi..anyways past is the past..

Finally after so long kumpul duit, finally did Option 2 with full exhaust system from extractor all the way to the tips at a reputable exhaust shop in Melaka..did a before and after dyno...result was increase by about 10whp..very satisfied with the power and sound :top: imho tho, the power increase most probably came from those high performance extractors and removal of catalytic converters..however if u change the back-box only with bolt on plug n play aftermarket exhaust, i believe there should not be any increase or decrease in power..mostly the effect will be on sound only..

Option 3, thinking of doing this initially...but found out later that this will cause loud sound in the cabin and very apparent droning effects...HM sure will bebel..but if you don't mind all this, then probably this is the best setup due to its direct flow (i stand corrected)...

anyways, happy modding all and my advise is do a proper and thorough research before committing...oh and also dont forget to change your air intake system or air filter then after that do an ECU remap...the result sure will put big smiles on your face...hehehe

Good info, thanx for sharing. Was thinking very long of this quad conversion until finally someone gave their own personal experience :)

My exprience on quad exhaust:-

E39 - Just extend another pipe after existing muffler just for the look. Cant find any aftermarket quad for E39. No power increase but got nice swoosh sound like supercharger when ram at high rpm.

E60 - Totally remove the ori exhaust and replace with aftermarket quad from Taiwan made for E60 with M5 rear bumper. Nice sporty sound and can feel power increase maybe due to better gas flow

E90 - Same like E60 install aftermarket quad from Taiwan for E90 with M3 rear bumper. Less loud than E60 quad, maybe due to smaller size and cc engine. Also feel better power and nice sound at high RPM.

P/S: For more details and picture can refer to MY UDM thread in Showroom section. Complete with sound video. Beware of hazardous poison. Better go with proper design quad and those custom which its not proven. Dun try to save cost unless u do fake quad exhaust tip.
Like Silverbullet said, mod exhaust and air filter then tuning the ECU. Happy modding.

yes, 200% agree with IM..hehe...personally to me the best bang for buck is buying taiwan made quad exhaust..since they copy most of the proven & branded european designs..plus they're only changing from the backbox onwards...so minimum effect on power loss etc..here's some pics from our fellow otai forumer's car:

View attachment 25608View attachment 25607

Bro Fahmi,

Where did you went for the most reliable workshop around JB for modification?. Looking for the most reliable workshop which sells good price for wear and tear OEM parts & bodykits.

SilverBullet;758872 said:
yes, 200% agree with IM..hehe...personally to me the best bang for buck is buying taiwan made quad exhaust..since they copy most of the proven & branded european designs..plus they're only changing from the backbox onwards...so minimum effect on power loss etc..here's some pics from our fellow otai forumer's car:

View attachment 25608View attachment 25607

What a nice one!. Any recommendation exhaust shop around JB?

Top Bottom