E46 parts & maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Tis morning while on the way to work, i noticed my RPM flatuating when stop at the trafic light. The car vibrate a bit also. While at the second traffic light, RPM flatuate between 500 to 1000. I quickly went to the office, check and reply urgent email than went to my mechanic.

Initial computer analysis review failure of the oxygen sensor before catalatic convertor, my mechanic said sometimes, if the hoses leaks, it will give this kind of signal also. Upon opening it up, it is true a hose is leaking, had it replaced and the car is fine now.

1. Hoses - RM 110
2. Hose clip RM 5 x 4 = RM 20
3. Labor - RM 80
Total RM 210.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&hg=11&fg=45

he culprit is item 2 in the above link.

Water pump gave way in the nick of time.....This morning while I was driving into my office building carpark. Fan mounting came loose hitting the housing and belt shredded...
Called for sos - ah meng, MSpeed and all fixed now...phew!

okow said:
Water pump gave way in the nick of time.....This morning while I was driving into my office building carpark. Fan mounting came loose hitting the housing and belt shredded...
Called for sos - ah meng, MSpeed and all fixed now...phew!
bro, pls list of the parts and cost, thanks

i rolled down my LR window and kraaaak! sound..then the window wont come up.. fixed it at $450 in sunway. they changed the besi thing with the cable (bracket i think).. motor was ok to reuse.. damn xpensiv for some besi buruk, please tell me i wasn't ripped off..my fren's shop some more

Mouse said:
bro, pls list of the parts and cost, thanks

- 1 pc water pump $160.00
- 1 pc fan belt $55.00
- 1 pc air-con belt $40.00
- labour/out door service/rescue $120
Total : $375.00
cheap....considering that fact that it saved me having my ride towed.
Whole job done at my office carpark within 1/2 an hour.

Just change my aircon cooling coil & aircon gas filter,replace oil for aircon compressor & full refill gas....Total - RM1,353.10:cool:

fire,

thats a very good price...where did you do it and how is the workmanship..dashboard has to come off to change cooling coil?

I bought the cooling coil by myself fr Spore. way cheaper SGD$197. the workshop quoted way too expensive RM2,450. So I just pay them their labour with Gas top up & compressor oil RM570 total. & make sure u order gas filter too tht will save u further.. for 320i yah..u hv to open yr whole dashboard...but if yr are 318..u r the lucky lot....as it can be replaced without taken yr out yr dashboard..it take 2 day affair to get it fix. The workmanship are superb as they fix about 30-40 E46 per year so they know how to open/dismantling yr dashboard..& so far there r no funny sound from dashboard while driving ..anyway..318,320,323,328 r sharing the same cooling coil...quite a marvelous enginering from BMW..as one part suit for whole range of model...I mean they really got economy of scale on this... manage to have a short chat with the mechanic who fix up my car..say E46 aircon weakness is on the cooling coil as it is made from aluminium, it easily rotten which cause the leakages of gas..normal life span is 5-6 year for this cooling coil..the workshop is "u need aircon" at ellis road..

Need to service my aircon soon too... now sometimes not too cool...

Going MegaB tomorrow to replace wheel bearings (rear, 2 sides) plus oil/filter change...

aro60

went to ah meng to upgrade software for my E46 325i 2001 from m39 to m44 cost RM250
car performance and fuel consumption improved considerably, now enjoying the ride...:p

Work done at Mega:

Wheel bearings (2 sides, rear): RM220.00
Oil Filter: RM35.00
Rear Absorbers (2 sides, rear, bilstein): RM560.00
Labour: RM360.00
Mobil 1 (6 litres): RM254.00 (own)

Total damage: RM1429.00

Fan belt replacement at AB

E-46 318(2.0) year 02

Was driving 1 night then the fan belt gave way, so no choice call AB tow truck to send back to AB for service.

Toll truck to AB 100
replace alternator drive belt 22
fan belt 195.3
replace oil filter housing gasket 121
gasket 11427508970 18.03
gasket 11427508971 13.05
check power steering 66.0

Total 535.38

BTW my location is in JB

=============================================================

Top Power Auto Service Centre ( JB )

Wiper Tank Motor 105
Left Rear Power window Lifter 400

Total 505.00

========================================================

Was talking to the owner of Top Power, he suggested that Engine Oil will not last
the 25K distance that AB claims also for 4 cyclinder 318, the engine will makan engine oil. Suggested change at 15k max. Show me the carbon build up at the oil cap. Also says that the L6 engine is the best, no problem. Also recommended Castrol or Esso.

Also suggest that the auto transmission oil to be change at every 100k. Cost at 68 per liter, needs between 12 to 18 liters.

Comments and suggestion please.

========================================================

Was talking to the owner of Top Power, he suggested that Engine Oil will not last
the 25K distance that AB claims also for 4 cyclinder 318, the engine will makan engine oil. Suggested change at 15k max. Show me the carbon build up at the oil cap. Also says that the L6 engine is the best, no problem. Also recommended Castrol or Esso.

Also suggest that the auto transmission oil to be change at every 100k. Cost at 68 per liter, needs between 12 to 18 liters.

Comments and suggestion please.[/quote]

Yup, ur mech put it correctly. It'll be nuts to run any engine oil for 25K! Try to keep it arnd 10k.

ATF shd be arnd 80K-100K per cycle. Try to change them instead of flushing..12 to 18 litres are for flushing. Our tranny only requires up to approx 6 to 8 litres for any change of ATF.

I'm currently on Castrol Edge 10W 40, not bad at all and running on Petronas Primax3

cheers

Yup, ur mech put it correctly. It'll be nuts to run any engine oil for 25K! Try to keep it arnd 10k.

ATF shd be arnd 80K-100K per cycle. Try to change them instead of flushing..12 to 18 litres are for flushing. Our tranny only requires up to approx 6 to 8 litres for any change of ATF.

I'm currently on Castrol Edge 10W 40, not bad at all and running on Petronas Primax3

cheers[/quote]
correct me if i am wrong, without flushing your tranny, i believe about 10-20% of old ATF will still stuck in the torque converter. hence to ensure 100% new ATF in our tranny, we have to flush them.

Top Bottom