E46 cannot start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMWsociety

Club Guest
Do anyone have experience that your E46 engine suddently stop during warming up. once it is stop is very hard to start again. when you remove the key and put it back then turn onn the ignition, the ASC and Gear box indicator come out. The funny thing is the RPM metter moving by it self from 0-7 and some and I can hear some "ticking" sound from the fuses box in the glove compartment. From my understanding if the Gear box indicator come out it wont allow you start the engine...well correct me if I am wrong :stupid:...really appreciate it if all the SIFU......SIFUU...can advise..

Your crankshaft sensor could be faulty if you engine die suddenly.

RPM meter moving from 0 to 7 is something new to me..

Ticking sound is the sound of some relay. Quite normal during diagnostic check.

BTW, get the battery check first. Sometime low battery voltage can cause the electronic device to go crazy.

thanks jarance....my mach also tot the same thing...so i just changed the battery last month. after that can start as normal for few weeks only then the problem came back..

FYI, sometime i manage to start the car with the gear box indicator is onn, so i just drive forward abit then shut down the engine , start again and its working fine for few days...after that the problem come back again

check the battery terminals connection. It could be loose. One of the forummer have the same problem.

if the terminals are tight, check the alternator supply output.

GB and engine problem are seldom related. What is your mileage and have you service your GB before?

ok...later will check the battery terminal connection...

Already change the engine and gear box oil end of august 2009. Mileage is about 44k ++

BMWsociety;473209 said:
ok...later will check the battery terminal connection...

Already change the engine and gear box oil end of august 2009. Mileage is about 44k ++

relatively low mileage @44K Km..

btw, Why did you change the ATF for the GB? Did you have any problem prior to the ATF oil change?

well no problem with the GB actualy. was advised by bimmer friends to change it coz my car is recon from japan year 2002. I noticed that this problem happened the day after my remote key doesn't work. Now i have to manually use the key to unlock or lock the doors. Is it possible that this problem is because of the key ?

BMWsociety;473399 said:
well no problem with the GB actualy. was advised by bimmer friends to change it coz my car is recon from japan year 2002. I noticed that this problem happened the day after my remote key doesn't work. Now i have to manually use the key to unlock or lock the doors. Is it possible that this problem is because of the key ?

If there is no problem prior to changing the ATF and problem exist after changing, chances is that the ATF is the wrong spec. Not all ATF are suitable for BMW GB.

Only BMW ATF is suitable for BMW GB.

Again, the key problem have nothing to do with the GB. The key is out of Syn.

You can synchronise the key back with EWS/GM5 module. Search the forum for this procedure. It have been discuss before. Let me know if you cannot find the procedure.

oh ic...thanks for the infor bro....the video below is similar to my problem....

[video=youtube;HJLYh33og9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLYh33og9Q[/video]

Thank you to sifu Jarance....finally my problem has been solved after replaced the crankshaft sensor. Replaced 2 weeks ago and now the problem gone already........thanks again..

BMWsociety;478542 said:
Thank you to sifu Jarance....finally my problem has been solved after replaced the crankshaft sensor. Replaced 2 weeks ago and now the problem gone already........thanks again..

You are welcome. Thanks for updating the root cause of the problem.. it nice to know we are right sometimes. :rolleyes:

my E46's engine once suddenly stopped after ignition. after checking with the mechanic and diagnosed using the computer , it was revealed the problem due to misfiring cylinder - so the mechanic recommended to change all the six cylinders coil. Is it reasonable for cylinder coil to cost RM235 each to solve the misfiring cylinder problem in my E46?

rm235 each? is it the ignition coil? correct me if i m wrong, but if it is, i think it shouldnt be that expensive..

rozaini1;479285 said:
my E46's engine once suddenly stopped after ignition. after checking with the mechanic and diagnosed using the computer , it was revealed the problem due to misfiring cylinder - so the mechanic recommended to change all the six cylinders coil. Is it reasonable for cylinder coil to cost RM235 each to solve the misfiring cylinder problem in my E46?

It is not whether it is reasonable the price but whether it is necessary to change all when one one of them failed.

Top Bottom